Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Resigs from Congress

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:43 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/us/jackson-jr-to-resign-house-seat.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/11/22/us/22jackson-cnd/22jackson-cnd-articleLarge.jpg

NYT wrote:
Representative Jesse L. Jackson Jr., who has received a diagnosis of bipolar disorder and has been under federal investigation, will resign from Congress on Wednesday.

Aides to House Speaker John A. Boehner said Mr. Jackson sent his office a letter with his intent to resign.

“For seventeen years I have given 100 percent of my time, energy and life to public service,” Mr. Jackson wrote in his letter to Mr. Boehner. “However, over the past several months, as my health has deteriorated, my ability to serve the constituents of my district has continued to diminish. Against the recommendations of my doctors, I had hoped and tried to return to Washington and continue working on the issues that matter most to the people of the Second District. I know now that will not be possible.”

In his hometown, Chicago, and in Washington, the decision puts an end to five months of speculation about the political future of Mr. Jackson, a Democrat and the son of the civil rights leader bearing the same name, who had vanished from Congress and public view since June.

Still uncertain for Mr. Jackson is how a criminal investigation into his possible use of campaign funds on purchases for his home may turn out.

more at link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,377 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 02:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh dear.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:03 pm
He owed that to his constituents.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2012 03:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I b'lieve that's a fact, edgar.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 05:41 pm
http://www.dailyastorian.com/news/nation_world/jockeying-under-way-to-replace-rep-jackson-jr/image_ea00dcdd-8402-5405-8708-420869cf0cce.html/?mode=gallery
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why didn't he do it before the election then?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:53 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Why didn't he do it before the election then?

Good question.
0 Replies