Not a single Republican vote. Heard that before.

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:24 am
Are they betting, hoping, praying that the stimulus package doesn't help the economy that their economic positions has already brought to the brink of failure? That we, the people, will find the fault lies in the Democrats?
Do they realize that when it works that they, the Republicans, might never be heard from again?

Joe(Don't they read history?)Nation

squinney

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:51 am
Shocked

shhhhh!
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
@Joe Nation,
Why do you think it will work? What is in that bill exactly that will stimulate the economy?

Maybe I missed it but where exactly is the tax break for small business expansion?

Where is the meaningful tax break for middle income ($500.00 is a joke)?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:33 am
@Joe Nation,
Let's just hope it works. If it does, somehow they will find a way to pretend it was because of something they did. If it doesn't, they are going to be joyous.

**** them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:36 am
@Woiyo9,
Where were those questions on the last stimulus bill?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:36 am
@Joe Nation,
Nobody ever remembers who voted against something. EVER.

Unless someone reminds them
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:39 am
You're more optimistic than I am Joe. My expectation is that time will prove Paul Krugman right once again. The program will make things better than they would be without it, but not enough to prevent the unemployment rate from rising until the midterm elections. That way, the Republicans can campaign by claiming that things got worse because of the program, not in spite of it.
parados

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:42 am
@Woiyo9,
$500 is a joke on a $5000 tax bill? Since when is 10% a joke?

I suppose it is a joke that the economy shrunk by less than 10%.

The only joke, is you Woiyo. Bush's tax cut gave a $200 tax break to middle income wage earners but did you call that tax cut a joke?
parados

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:44 am
@Thomas,
They could try to do that Thomas but it leaves them open to questioning what they did to prevent it.

The public will clearly have a choice - a party that did something and it wasn't perfect or a party that did nothing and complains what was done isn't perfect.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:08 am
@parados,
So you OBVIOUSLY have no idea either where the actual "stimulation" is in this bill.

PS: I criticized the previous BS Bush break also. Unlike you, I can be objective.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:18 am
One cannot be objective when talking about things that may OR may not happen...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:22 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
They could try to do that Thomas but it leaves them open to questioning what they did to prevent it.

Nothing of course, because they have no power in Washington -- which, in current times, has its advantages.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:28 am
@parados,
I called Bush tax rebate a joke, and I'm calling this one a joke too.

A $500 rebate equates to about $20 every bi-weekly paycheck. Are YOU going to even notice the extra $20?

If you do notice it, is having that extra pocket change going to raise you consumer confidence level?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:52 am
@Joe Nation,
I just wish the package would focus on large-scale meaningful infrastructure improvements (roads and bridges type of stuff). I'm not comfortable with all the little doo-dads they throw into these bills.

Our roads and bridges are falling apart and many need to be redesigned to compensate for the growth of the cities they support. They're gonna have a hard enough time getting that type of stuff done without running into "Big Dig" types of corruption, without having to include thousands of tiny stray items.

Are line-item veto's still allowed?

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:09 am
O boy, Pelosi & Reid want to spend, spend, spend and they could care less if it helps the economy or not.
The Democrats are working to destroy our economy and this Republic by expanding government.

Bravo to the House Republicans and the 10 Democrats that joined them in saying No ******* Way!

http://www.athenswater.com/images/PrezBO.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 09:24 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I just wish the package would focus on large-scale meaningful infrastructure improvements (roads and bridges type of stuff). I'm not comfortable with all the little doo-dads they throw into these bills.

Our roads and bridges are falling apart and many need to be redesigned to compensate for the growth of the cities they support. They're gonna have a hard enough time getting that type of stuff done without running into "Big Dig" types of corruption, without having to include thousands of tiny stray items.

Are line-item veto's still allowed? YES

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:13 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
A $500 rebate equates to about $20 every bi-weekly paycheck. Are YOU going to even notice the extra $20?

$20 extra every second week? I'd notice that!

You must be pretty well off I guess.
JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:21 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:

Our roads and bridges are falling apart and many need to be redesigned to compensate for the growth of the cities they support

Well there's the problem. Roads and bridges were never designed to carry the load of a city. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:23 pm
@rosborne979,
The problem is that there's only so many infrastructural projects that are "shovel ready". Once you've financed those, entirely new projects will only get to the heavy duty building stage in a year or two from now, whereas this stimulus bill is meant to provide an immediate injection of capital into the economy to prevent or at least slow down a rapid slide.

The tax cuts to upper middle class incomes that the Republicans so fervently support have a similar problem. Those people would mostly just save the extra money, greatly diluting its immediate power to stimulate the economy.

Extra money for stuff like food stamps, extra funding for school meals, unemployment benefits, assistance to lower-income Americans who are unable to meet their heating and electricity costs -- all of that, on the other hand, has an almost 1:1 power to stimulate the economy, as it is spent immediately to pay for food and basics. Those all happen to be things the Democrats' Progressive Caucus have put into the bill.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@nimh,
I think you're full of it nimh.

You'd have to be hovering near the poverty line for $20 to make/break your day.

Thinking about it another way, it would be like getting a $0.25 raise in your hourly pay. Most people would respond with a "Gee, thanks boss" loaded with sarcasm.