CNN: Giffords to Resign from Congress

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/politics/giffords-resigning/?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords announced on her website Sunday that she will resign from Congress this week to continue her recuperation from the brain injury she suffered when shot just over a year ago.

"A lot has happened over the past year. We cannot change that," Giffords, 41, says in a video on her website, speaking in a halting manner.

"I don't remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice," Giffords continues. "Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery. So to do what is best for Arizona, I will step down this week."

Giffords, a Democrat, will submit a letter of resignation during the week to House Speaker John Boehner and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer. They will set the date for special elections to fill the remainder of her term, which expires at the end of the year.

That should make Hawkeye and a few others here happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 15,821 • Replies: 223

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Its obvious that she is still very impaired and unlike Strom Thurmond, I dont think she wants to just hang aroound out of some sense of pity and obligation.
Good decision,
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
The video is available at the linked site.

Btw, I agree, fm: good decision.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 03:38 pm
I see it as a sad but necessary decision.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 04:32 pm
I'm happy that she's alive and has the degree of functionality she does. She doesn't need the stress of office. Perhaps with her recovery she can pursue some of her other interests.

I'm glad I am not in AZ and have to be present for the special election that will no doubt capitalize one way or another on her and the other victim's plight.

A
R
T
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
roger

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have already done a fine job of coloring yourself. There's nothing to add.
Below viewing threshold (view)
failures art

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
How about the capacity to evaluate your own recovery and make an informed decision? What time table would you have suggested for her to make such a choice, or worse, do you think that she should have been forcibly removed? The implications of the latter are pretty frightening.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:25 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

How about the capacity to evaluate your own recovery and make an informed decision? What time table would you have suggested for her to make such a choice, or worse, do you think that she should have been forcibly removed? The implications of the latter are pretty frightening.

A
R
T

Not really, if a person shows up for one vote in a year then they are not doing their job, the constituents are being cheated. Of course she should have been forcibly removed, about 11 months ago leadership should have declared the seat empty and demanded that the state send someone to fill it. The seat has been empty by any rational definition, leadership would not have so much been removing her from her job but rather would have been stating the obvious fact which Giffords was not willing to admitt....IE that she was no longer in the job.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, the Democratic National Committee chair, told CNN that Giffords -- a close friend -- came to the conclusion that she couldn't devote her full energies to both her job and her recovery.
The congressman's recent return to Tucson for the one-year anniversary of the shooting showed her "how challenging it would be. It came into focus then," her friend said.
"This decision is really quintessential Gabby Giffords," Wasserman Schultz added. "She needed to step aside for herself, so that her constituents could get full-time representation. She cares about them so much, that was her number one priority -- taking care of them."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/politics/giffords-resigning/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Bull. ****. That claim would have flown about 300 days ago, but not now. this is taking "a day late and a dollar short" to a whole new level.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
If the people of AZ felt unhappy with the vacant seat, they could have acted to petition for her removal. They didn't, and it's no concern of yours.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 10:50 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

If the people of AZ felt unhappy with the vacant seat, they could have acted to petition for her removal. They didn't, and it's no concern of yours.

A
R
T

Wrong, the well functioning of the House of Representatives is my concern, and in this case the leadership of the House of Representatives failed to honor their obligations to America. It is my duty to condemn them for their failure, if leadership was willing to do fail the people of AZ8 then I need to assume that they would likewise be willing to fail me.
failures art

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's not how it works.

Your representative is yours to appeal to. You can't demand that other congressional districts also represent your wishes. If you really cared, you could have wrote to your CR and they could have taken it under consideration along with the other wishes of your district on how they wished to proceed. You don't actually care, and it's still not your business.

A
R
T
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:24 pm
@failures art,
The really amazing thing is that Hawkeye does not even reside in the state of Arizona, yet he carries on as though he had been done a personal injury by Rep. Giffords' failure to resign from the House immediately. Clown.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:35 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

The really amazing thing is that Hawkeye does not even reside in the state of Arizona, yet he carries on as though he had been done a personal injury by Rep. Giffords' failure to resign from the House immediately.

As well as from the House leaderships failure to perform their duties....dont forget that part.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:39 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

That's not how it works.

Your representative is yours to appeal to. You can't demand that other congressional districts also represent your wishes. If you really cared, you could have wrote to your CR and they could have taken it under consideration along with the other wishes of your district on how they wished to proceed. You don't actually care, and it's still not your business.

A
R
T

The House polices itself, the leadership had the authority to declare the seat empty, but refused to exercise it. I am not exactly shocked that you are so ignorant of how our Government works, but kindly go get educated so that I dont have to watch you make such an ass out of yourself.
roger

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, you have deliberately misunderstood my comment. Now you prefer to change the subject.

To put it in simple words, you don't need any coloring because you have already established your reputation. We needn't do it for you.

Clear now?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

No, you have deliberately misunderstood my comment. Now you prefer to change the subject.

To put it in simple words, you don't need any coloring because you have already established your reputation. We needn't do it for you.

Clear now?

Is that the royal "we"? Do you have a mind meld with the rest of the A2K membership?

No, we are not clear here.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
I believe that in this case, at least, Roger speaks for most of us, not just himself.