Have You Written Your Congressman Today?

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 07:27 am
Or called his local or national office?

I'd like this to be an on-going discussion about lobbying vs individual participation in our representative democracy. I hear excuses all the time from people who "don't like politics", or are "too busy" or say things like "it won't make any difference" if they take the initiative to make their voices heard. They join groups or make contributions so others can lobby for them even if they only agree with parts of the lobbyist's message.

I tend to eschew lobbying groups. I canceled my membership to AARP because of their lobbying efforts. I'm not a member of any organization that uses my dues for lobbying. I'm disgusted by Grover Norquist's pledge that holds an entire political party hostage, by the NRA who advocates for murderers and thugs under their ridiculous "slippery slope" banner, by Move-On, Credo and their sensationalist emails that promise change if I give them money.

OTOH, I tend to be a regular thorn in the sides of my elected officials.

Right now the NRA, the Heritage folks, AARP and the Chamber of Commerce are pretty high on my hate list. They all expect a seat at the table as policy is developed and voted upon. I say that policy should be developed and voted upon based on the desires of a Congressman's constituency and only his/her home constituency.

It's not too late to take control of our democracy, but it's pretty darned close.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,054 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 08:38 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Manchin says it is difficult to get people even talking about the issues, namely gun control and mental illness, but says he has started, and he began with the biggest group.
"My friends at the NRA ... they're hurting as much as anybody right now," says Manchin.

"We need to have the NRA at the table, you cannot have meaningful changes unless you understand all sides of the issue," adds the senator, who says he believes he can bring the NRA and other sides of the party together.Source

Emphasis added. No, we DON'T need to have the NRA at the table. We don't NEED to have lobbying groups determine policy.
JPB

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 09:29 am
@JPB,
Quote:
ChadPergram Rep Huelskamp, ForAmerica Chair Brent Bozell, Heritage Action's Michael Needham hold 3 pm presser to blast Boehner's Plan B on #fiscalcliff

I think Rep Huelskamp should hold his press conference and tell the American people exactly how he feels about Boehner's Plan B. I think Bozell and Needham should stay home. They get one vote in November and so do I. The influence that K Street has on policy is disturbing.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 10:47 am
@JPB,
Having written to elected officials 3 times and received a form letter sort of answer I stopped writing to them.

There have been a few (less than 20, more than 10) phone calls to various elected scum...er, I mean 'leaders' with dismal results. For the most part they don't really give a damn about any of us.

JPB

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 01:01 pm
@Sturgis,
They will if we demand it. That's my point. We've allowed our voices to be silenced by K Street.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 07:30 pm
@JPB,
The only way too get their attention is to vote them out of office.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 07:44 pm
@JPB,
I have an aversion to flogging dead horses. Ergo my Congressperson and I are not on speaking terms.
0 Replies