@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

That’s cold, right? 32 F is freezing?

Yeah.
That would be -2.2 in Celsius
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 01:41 am
@chai2,
It’s funny...I was brought up with Fahrenheit but it changed so long ago I now pretty much think in Celsius

Human height only makes sense to me in feet and inches, I’m bilingual in area measurement, think groceries in grams and kilos, petrol and other fluids in litres, distance in kilometres but human weight in stones and pounds
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 01:43 am
@Borat Sister,
I guess I’m the Australian lost generation
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 01:48 am
@chai2,
Funny. It was 22 C here today.

That’s about 72 F

Poifect!

Sadly I had to have a “lay day”. As i am gradually able to get back to proper exercise again, I’m upping my daily walking goal towards 10 kilometres a day.

I lost my orthotics a while back and now that I’m walking more, my knees and legs are suffering.

Off for testing for orthotics on Monday

Meanwhile I have to take rest days to control pain.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 03:23 am
@Borat Sister,
I'm completely with you on the height and weight thing.

When they say on the news that the police are looking for someone and give a description that includes their height in centimetres it means absolutely nothing to me. I have no idea how tall they are.

I was thinking about this a while ago and out of curiosity I asked my grand children how tall they are and they all answered in feet and inches, which was a bit surprising.

Human weight in kilos also means nothing to me. And when babies are born their weight is usually given in pounds and ounces as well as kilos. If you ask a new mum how much her baby weighed chances are very high they'll answer in pounds and ounces.
chai2

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:43 am
@cherrie,
Are you in England Cherrie?
hightor

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:47 am
@chai2,
Quote:
28 degrees Fahrenheit in Austin @ 8am

It was 50º F in Maine!
cherrie

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 05:13 am
@chai2,
No, I'm in Australia.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 05:36 pm
@hightor,
Jesus. I read that as 50 C!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 06:02 pm
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:

No, I'm in Australia.

I didn't know ya'll used lbs, oz as well has inches and feet.

But you do use km vs miles?

I don't have much trouble ball parking kilos to lbs, or cm to inches, as for practical partical matter a kilo is about 2.5 lbs (2.2 actually) and 2.5 cm is really close to an inch.
A meter is a yard in my mind, and a liter is a quart.

I do have a hell of a time converting km to miles and vice versa, as I'm usually driving and paying attention to the road when I'm figuring it.

When crossing the border from the US into Mexico, I'll adjust my speedometer from miles to km. On the open road I'm used to seeing the speedometer read 120 because I know that's around 75 mph.

But when I'm driving locally it's actually really hard to get much over 30 kph (20 mph) usually around the restaurants and shops you're crawling at 25 kph (15 mph)
It's not the speed so much as trying to figure out how far away someplace is.

A friend asked me how much gas my Prius used, and I had a hell of a time converting miles per gallon to liters per kilometer.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 08:18 pm
@chai2,
Australia is now entirely metric and has been for years

Young people couldn’t do feet, pounds etc to save their lives.

I’m assuming Cherrie is older. Like me, and was brought up with imperial?

We changed to dollars in 1966 and everything else gradually over the next few years.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 08:32 pm
@Borat Sister,
I’m back to quite bad work nightmares.

Not quite sure what triggered them this time...Christmas maybe?

It’s odd, because I never much liked the Christmas stuff at my last job, but the Christmas parties were fabulous at the jobs before that. We had all sorts of funny rituals.

Anyway, they’re changing which is a good sign for me.

It’s gone from being stuck there still trying to get everything finished, with no end in sight to being there trying to get a little bit finished and I’m always finishing at the end of the week.

This time was interesting as I tried to really have it out with some of the management people. and resolve personal misunderstandings ..though it was realistic in that I could not speak to them frankly alone, it was always with a group of them kind of attacking all at once.

That’s not really fair to them, by the way, but it’s how it felt when I was really unwell.

Anyway, key people had really shrunk!

Hopefully that’s a sign that the issue is shrinking into the past. I often think it has, and feel good, but then I suddenly have to reprocess things, or deal with different bits of it I guess.

Serial nightmares are often a way I process grief etc.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 08:55 pm
@chai2,
We changed to metric about 40 years ago so officially we don't use lbs and oz or feet and inches. But I think some (many) 0f us still have trouble getting ours heads around it for some reason. I know how much I weigh in stones and pounds and how tall I am in feet and inches, but I couldn't tell you how that converts to metric without looking it up.

Yes we use kilometres, miles are never used here. Yet if something is 3 metres long I'll convert that in my head to 10 ft. Or 15cm to 6 inches.

You'd think that 40 years would be long enough to have adjusted but I know that many people still think the way I do.
cherrie

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 08:59 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Young people couldn’t do feet, pounds etc to save their lives.

That's what I would have thought too, but like I said my teenage grand children told me their heights in feet and inches. And baby weights are given in pounds and ounces and those mothers would have grown up with the metric system.

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 09:24 pm
@cherrie,
In Australia!?

Good lord, I used to work in obstetrics and it was always kilos and grams.

Maybe parents do it for grandparents?

I don’t know anyone except me who converts height to feet and inches...and even I am beginning to manage. I can almost do human weight in kilos now.

I’m really interested to know where you are
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 09:25 pm
@cherrie,
It’s nice to know I’m not the only one!
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 10:14 pm
@Borat Sister,
I know the hospital will record the weight in metric but it seems to get converted pretty quickly to imperial measure. I've got 9 grandchildren and I doubt that any of their parents would remember now what they weighed in kilos. We have two local papers here that have birth announcements and I would say about 90% of them give the weight in lbs and oz.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 05:21 am
Bah! Humbug! It’s hands and stones or nothing!