A Parlour for a Plague

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:08 am
@Roberta,
Yikes! What is happening with kidneys? Eat! Eat!
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 05:42 am
@Borat Sister,
I'm eating; I'm eating.

I guess I forgot to mention that the docs at the last hospital determined that my kidneys are not functioning properly and that this is throwing off my body chemistry, My electrolytes are out of whack, which results in lots of issues. I had to stop taking some meds and start taking others.

I'm eating, I'm eating. Don't be a nudge. If you didn't have that Aussie accent, I could swear you sound just like me grandmother.

Since I have no lights, Joe and Winston ain't coming this week. However, Joe treated me to a deli dinner, delivered to my doorstep.

See, I'm eating!
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 05:52 am
@Roberta,
Well, good!

No light? A sixty watt bulb is light! I’ll show you no light...we just had a blackout. THAT’S no light!

A neighbour doesn’t have a light you could borrow? I have lights you could borrow. Pop don.
Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 08:56 am
@Borat Sister,
Hey, I've lived through blackouts. Not many, but when we had them, they were doozies.

I've lived here for forty years and don't know my neighbors except to smile and say hello to. I'd like to keep it this way.

I'm a native Noo Yawker. Don't talk to me about neighbors.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 03:05 pm
@Roberta,
Hmmmmm.....I thought you guys had mysterious things called “supers” who magicked solutions to problems?

My neighbours housed me when my house burned, helped me clean up when the repairers caused a flood....we help each other a lot.

I’m not sure about this Noo Yawk thing.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 03:30 pm
@Borat Sister,
Supers.

They are good for rewiring a light switch, table lamps would require (often) greasing their palm (monetary stimulus).

Supers vary too. I've had good, dreadful and a dozen types in between.

The current super I have could be used as a case study on absurdity and laziness.

He waxed the floors in the halls once....however he had not swept or mopped first! dust still resides under some wax.

He did a great job fixing the place in a wall which had an ever increasing crack...then a widening hole. I was somewhat responsible for it as my head hit the wall in a fall.

Still he has not fixed the bathroom door (it doesn't shut properly). He indicated he will have to take it off the hinges. That was two or three years ago.

The skylight in the bathroom, no longer closes completely. He told me that after he was not able to get it to close! He did try though. Even went to the roof and put oil on the outside of the thing. No oil on the inside. The heat here is rather intense so I have not pushed the matter. It's actually better to have the airflow.

So...cats are not supposed to eat garlic? I never knew. Arthur preferred some garlic powder on the cream cheese covered bagel. Liked it better than plain cream cheese.

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 03:57 pm
@Sturgis,
So...not all supers are super?

Vets say cats are badly affected by many things...these include garlic and onion and grapes.

It was lucky the vet mentioned the grapes to me when I was laughing at the woollies’ fondness for fruit and even salad, as I used to be unperturbed if they took some of my nut and dried fruit mix, which had dried grapes in it.

My two love food with garlic! It’s a pity.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 04:03 pm
@Roberta,
Hey, Boida, ten years ago today we were eating at a deli with lil k, jes, region, kicky, Jonathan, Frank and Thomas!

A photo that got taken at the boat restaurant thing we went to afterwards just popped up on Facebook

You were being taken home by Thomas so you two aren’t in the photo.

I look absolutely terrible. That’s when I’d just come from the trip from hell with my no longer friend! I had a herniated disk and I was so stressed I wanted to disappear into an immersion tank for a year or two!

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 04:12 pm
@Borat Sister,
Where are those people? I remember them all. A miracle. I remember very little these days. I do remember the deli and my late arrival--a street fair detoured my bus. I also remember the boat place. I don't remember your looking terrible. Maybe I was so glad to see you that I didn't notice.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 04:30 pm
@Roberta,
Everyone except Kicky and Frank...as far as I know...is on Facebook!

Jes has published a book and is working on more, lil k is teaching and worrying about covid, Jonathan is working at Home Depot and exercising, region is very much here on A2K as is Frank, I think.

Thomas is back in Germany. He’s had some major issues with his eyes because of diabetes. We have finally managed to influence him away from libertarianism!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 04:34 pm
@Roberta,
Robert is married and still in Costa Rica.

He is currently fanatical about flying drones. He’s forty!

He recently lost the love of his life, his dog, Harry, and is finding it very hard to deal with the loss.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 04:53 pm
@Roberta,
You’re thinking about the deli in 2015, I think? I was talking about the deli in 2010. I was late, so you may have been late in 2010 and I didn’t know?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 05:12 pm
@Borat Sister,
Thanks for the updates on the missing members.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 09:18 pm
Thanks for the updates. I know that Jes is writing books. I edited two of them. And I know who's here.

Mostly I miss Thomas. Sorry and sad that he's having problems with his eyes. Just to cheer him up, please tell him that I lost twenty more pounds on what he referred to as the Roberta Diet.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 10:09 pm
@Roberta,
I will.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2020 10:10 pm
@Roberta,
I am so happy you edited two of Jes’ books!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2020 10:37 am
Had an amazing visit yesterday that I had expected to maybe last a couple of hours, but instead we looked up and 7 and a half hours had gone by.

One of Kirks ex-wives, D, who is the mother of his daughter.

She herself had lost her husband to colon cancer about 6 years ago. He was a really good man.

For her part, she was able to express some thing about R her husand, during his illness, how she just check out emotionally and now felt guilt about it. But it was the only way to get through it between him having a lot of stuff happening, having teenage twins who were very close to their dad etc.

For me, I finally felt like I was able to talk to someone who knew my husband on the same level as I did. We're both mature grown women, so there was no need for coyness on either of our parts at discussing even the most intimate things.
It was wonderful, it was enlightening, and we both walked away realizing neither of us knew him in many ways. Things she knew I didn't, and vice versa.
Stories he had regularly told as true, which in fact was not exactly how it went down.
Neither of us were overly surprised, but we did a lot of head shaking.

We talked about other day to day stuff too, and we both agreed we were looking forward to meeting again.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2020 03:18 pm
@chai2,
Part of me wonders if Kirk was listening somewhere....sometimes blushing, sometimes outraged, sometimes pretty happy!
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2020 03:21 pm
@chai2,
Very cool chai! Wish all had that attitude.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2020 04:34 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Part of me wonders if Kirk was listening somewhere....sometimes blushing, sometimes outraged, sometimes pretty happy!

If he were, I'm sure it would be all three.

Note: As far as me having any sort of great atitude others should have...

D and I have always been very friendly.
I wasn't the other woman. Didn't even meet him until years after the divorce, and when we married his daughter was 13. D was married and had 3 year old twins at that time.

I always find it odd when people jump to the conclusion there was/is animosity between us of any sort. If we had met each other under different circumstances, we could definatley be friends.
Kirk and D got along fine too, and it wasn't just for the sake of his daughter.
It wasn't anything she and I had to "work" at. We're just 2 women that happened to be married to the same man at different times. Why the hell would there be a problem?

Kirks has a sister who lived around the block from where we lived when in Fla. She always hosted Christmas Eve with a full buffet, gift giving, games etc. It always included any of the siblings that were around and their kids, D and her husband R, the twins and his daughter.

There was never any question with anyone where we would be spending Christmas, and with who.
Everyone there was family.