A Parlour for a Plague

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2020 04:14 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Oh I could, I just don't want to.
Metaphorically, the most perfectly honest answer you could give.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 03:15 am
Small things....but I have finally managed to take decisive steps towards having a clear house.

Got rid of the bed I have been using while sleeping in my second bedroom...the other one was in storage when I first moved in and general chaos has kept me in a kind of limbo in that room...and I can start turning it into a storage/utility room. I have a cheap sofa bed coming for guests, or I can use it if they need a proper bed.

Someone gave away a three bookcase set, just white melamine but it will be great to use to get rid of some book cases taking up space in other parts of the house and general storage.

Means I can start having public spaces really cleared and pared down.

There just isn’t enough room otherwise!

Making my head feel clearer already!

Woot!
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 03:16 am
@Borat Sister,
Feeling betterer now! I shut Sebastian in my new bedroom while remover was here. He was looking extremely traumatised and I was worried that the disturbance might be enough to set off his inappropriate pissing again.

Also he runs out the door at any chance!

I opened his door when the guy left and got busy cleaning

I kept trying to find Sebastian and couldn’t.

Finally, three hours later, I found him in a nest he’d built in a cupboard with towels and other soft things in it, completely invisible but looking calm and happy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 04:49 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Small things....but I have finally managed to take decisive steps towards having a clear house.

Means I can start having public spaces really cleared and pared down.

There just isn’t enough room otherwise!

Making my head feel clearer already!

Woot!

This ^^

Shewolf was here today. She wanted a gun safe of Kirks, so she brought a truck she borrowed from a friend.

The gun safe is still here. She's going to need to bring a guy type person to leverage it into the truck. But when she left the truck was full of power tools, a generator and a **** ton of other stuff like that.

The stuff I had cleared out months ago were things that he would buy that he "liked" decorative wise, but they ended up stored away for years. Or things that said "Well, this is still useful, never know when it might come in handy"

This last purging are things/tools he used to use all the time when he was working. Which he stopped doing almost 10 years ago. Mudroom in the house and sheds out back full of things.

I have been at that point where yes they have value, but I have never even seen these things, ever, and I've gotten along without them fine.

It was a mutally satisfying experience as she got a lot of stuff she really was going to go out and buy, and I got rid of it, knowing it would be put to good use.

Every little bit that leaves the house now is less I have to pay the movers and junk man.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:32 pm
@chai2,
Great mutual benefit

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:22 pm
@Borat Sister,
Yes. We talked about that at length. I was so grateful she was taking stuff with the bonus she wanted and needed it. She was so happy to get all this stuff for free.

I have to remember this is all a one time deal. I will never accumulate a lot of possessions. Not that I’m not going to have things, but I really don’t understand buying things just for the sake of buying.

My definition of clutter is I’m sure a lot different from many peoples.

I think it would be an interesting psychological study as to peoples comfort zone with “stuff”. I love beautiful things. Just not taking up every square inch.

Funny. I don’t like pattern in clothes. Too fussy. Don’t wear jewelry at all. It bothers me. Especially dangling stuff.

It’s like, I crave unity, and flow.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 07:13 am
@chai2,
Great that she wolf has so many new tools!

It’s kind of hard getting rid of people’s possessions when they die...I know people who have had to store them for ages before they can let go.

I was really happy that I was able to use a lot of my parents’ lovely crystal glassware as prizes to help fund a friend’s campaign to get into parliament.

A lot of stuff was broken, sadly not by use, but because my father’s hoarding of paperwork after my mother’s death in 1968 literally crushed them in their cupboards.

I was able to find bits and pieces of matching stuff and bundle them together as raffle prizes.

I kept the rest of the glasses and was happy every time one ended up smashed when I had friends over having a good time.

I felt a good death doing what they were meant to do was liberating for them after 24 years breaking under the weight of depression and dysfunction
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 01:21 pm
@Borat Sister,
You said a mouthful here.

Regarding getting rid of possesssion. That's why I'm so relieved I immediately starting chucking and donating. There are a number of items that are in boxes in my movers corner, that have now been sitting there for 5 months. When I open them up, I'll do a second purge. I don't think there's a lot anyway. Relative to what a lot of people keep.
It was dreadful putting stuff into the get rid of pile, but I'm glad I did, and followed through with actually getting rid of.
I'm glad I packed them in boxes, where I couldn't go interacting with them without a lot of effort.

I had this thought I think yesterday. How many items does one need to remember someone? Answer, not many.
There's a difference between keeping something that will remind one of a person, and sparking memories of all different things, and making a shrine to someone.

I kept a money clip of his that I put in my bag. So sometimes when I'm getting something out of it I get a glimpse of the jade or some other stone, and have a pleasant memory. But I don't go looking for the money clip.

I have never been a sentimental person. I used to be concerned I wasn't an empathetic person. But I am.

Just found the below quote here.... http://archive.battleofideas.org.uk/2016/session/11557#.Xw9ViFVKjcs
Oscar Wilde defined sentimentality as ‘the luxury of having an emotion without paying for it’.

To a lesser extent, nostalgia. Sure, like everyone else I'll fondly remember something from years ago when I see a picture or something. But I realize that's just not how it is anymore, and there's no internal strife with that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but whenever I see a person who is very sentimental, they have problems letting go, moving ahead.
Can sentimentality be somehow related to fear? Fear of the future?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 12:03 am
Back from the ER yet again. Taken there in a ambulance. Returned in a cab.

Breathing problems.
roger

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 12:15 am
@Roberta,
That scares me.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 07:13 am
@Roberta,
Are you better?
Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 11:03 am
@Borat Sister,
Scares me too.

No, I'm not better. Waiting for a prescription to arrive.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 11:04 am
@Roberta,
We're with you, Boida.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 11:20 am
@Roberta,
Exacerbation of COPD? Or an infection?
Roberta

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 03:02 pm
@Borat Sister,
Exacerbation of COPD. No infection.

Meds arrived. I've been taking them for a while. The side effects suck.

But breathing is high on my list of priorities.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 06:21 pm
Found disinfecting wipes at Bed Bath and Beyond!

Limit of one canister though.

Better than nothing
Borat Sister

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:50 pm
@chai2,
Yep
Borat Sister

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:51 pm
@Roberta,
How are you today, Boida?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 10:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Yep

I'm glad I found those. Was running out quick.

My habit is to wipe down the sink, counter, and around the toilet every morning. Before doing that, I would wipe both my underarms with one, then do the cleaning with the same one.
It really enhances the power of your deodorent, as it kills the bacteria.

I had to tear the wipes in half, and so I wasn't doing as effective a job cleaning by the time I got to the commode.

wipes, witch hazel for my butt, and rubbing alcohol to squirt on my toothbrush. I've got a little laboratory in my lavatory.
Borat Sister

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2020 06:39 am
@chai2,
You do indeed!

What does witch hazel do for your butt?