A Parlour for a Plague

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2020 11:53 pm
@Sturgis,
I meant the one around the White House, but I see your point!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 05:26 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Meanwhile the nitwits of. NYC don't know how to social distance or wear masks....well, when they are bar hopping and getting drunker by the second.

If that’s all there is..
If that’s all there is..
If that’s all there is My friend,
Let’s have a ball,
Let’s break out the boooooze, and have a ball...

(Credit whoever the hell wrote that one)
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 11:24 am
@Leadfoot,
Peggy Lee
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2020 12:08 pm
@chai2,
Thank you, it was right on the tip...
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 04:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Loooooooove that song!!
chai2

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 01:29 pm
@Borat Sister,
I could play that song on loop for hours.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 01:40 pm
Joe and Winston were supposed to come visit me tomorrow, but I got too noivous.

Next week for sure.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 03:57 pm
@Roberta,
Something to look forward to!
...supposedly we should be in Phase 2 by then (though I don't know what that means or allows)
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 06:38 pm
@Roberta,
Next week! Yay!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 06:42 pm
@Sturgis,
We’re in phase 4 or something and I still don’t think anyone is all that sure.
cherrie

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:44 am
@Borat Sister,
We're going backwards a bit in Victoria now, 18 new cases today following yesterday's 21 cases.

Restrictions are supposed to ease a bit more next Monday but this might set that back a bit if we keep getting numbers like this.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 04:14 am
@cherrie,
Going backwards in FL too, but that was expected.

I kind of agree with the experts in the field who are saying that we will be dealing with CV19 for years to come. When restrictions are eased, it is only natural that there will be a resurgence in numbers until virtually everyone is exposed.

I agree that this is a very infectious disease, but the public (In US at least) is being misled on how to deal with it. Sweden got it about right.

I think Eventually, CV19 is going to 'get' all those who are susceptible. The people in power probably know this, but just want to give us the illusion that they are 'handling it'. The final numbers who are 'killed' by this virus will probably not change no matter what we do, but the people 'in charge' will tell you it would be much worse if not for their 'prudent measures'. Lying bastards.

I have to wonder if they are using Covid as an excuse to drag the economy down for reasons of their own. There was never any functional good reason to 'shut it down'. All it did was to lower the peak number of daily deaths to prevent us chickens from panicking and seeing that they were never in control. They never were, but there ARE way too many chicken littles around willing to believe ‘authorities'. The total number of deaths will probably be the same either way.
End of rant/conspiracy theory.

Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 07:36 am
@Leadfoot,
I agree with some of what you say -

Quote:
All it did was to lower the peak number of daily deaths to prevent us chickens from panicking

I took this to lower the number of people surging into hospitals so that hospitals could manage the numbers. If it were a free for all - then if what you say is true - the hospitals would not be able to handle all the serious cases as the peaks would be huge. The so-called flattening the curve.

So if the hospitals have too many covid patients then they cannot even handle those that may have other emergency issues whereas this would increase deaths from other things that normally would be able to be handled.

But since the curve has flattened in most places, then you can see easing
things.

One thing I wonder about is why all these precautions with children and schools. Seeing statistically children are not impacted by covid - the stats show that the numbers are so insignificant for children it makes little sense to have them change their lifestyle (assuming of course you can keep them from those that are of high chance of contracting covid) - the emotional, educational and social impacts of keeping children isolated will likely have much larger impacts on them. The flu is much more dangerous for children and we do not close schools for kids due to flu season - there are ways around school - like keeping teachers further away from students (teachers being more in danger); having classes video conference for the small population of kids that have immune issues - why close all things for kids and make these face masks, sitting six feet apart, no gym, etc. when they do not get impacted by covid?

We should spend our resources helping those that will likely be impacted by covid - the elderly, nursing homes, etc. Causing all those children to have emotional, social issues along with increased anxiety when they are not impacted by covid is just plain old dumb.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 10:04 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
So if the hospitals have too many covid patients then they cannot even handle those that may have other emergency issues whereas this would increase deaths from other things that normally would be able to be handled.
That was the only possible legitimate explanation for how they handled it. But in reality, we had 2/3 empty hospitals virtually everywhere, laid off health care workers, unused temporary emergency hospitals Built, hospital ships sent but not needed, etc. If hospitalization was the answer, why didn’t we mobilize to send patients from high concentration areas to empty hospitals? But of course the NIMBY factor would have the chicken littles clucking.

For both the economic and social costs you pointed out, the way we handled CV19 was senseless. The lasting negative effects of this virus (and how we responded) will be our own fault.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:17 pm
@cherrie,
Yes....we are now allowing some states entry, but not Victoria.

We have a new case but it’s someone from another state who was in isolation.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Waiting for vaccine and better treatment

Several vaccines are in trial stages and one old steroid that seems to be helpful.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 02:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
A fellow down in D.C. strongly recommends a malaria drug. Now that the government has purchased more than sixty million dosages, the FDA has said "No!". They revoked emergency use.
George

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 08:53 am
Massachusetts is continuing in Phase of the re-open. Starting Monday,
indoor seating is allowed in restaurants. tables have to be six feet apart.

We've already made our reservation.
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 09:46 am
@George,
Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 11:22 am
@George,
Was just at the Fours last night... one of their restaurants in the burbs not near the gaaahhhden. I was doing take out...but they had a portion of their parking all set up for outdoor seating with the music cranking. Every table was full with some people waiting outside.

It was actually nice to see.

My husband wants lostah for fathered day so I just picked them up ... I asked if he wanted go out somewhere since it is so nice so eating outside would be comfortable but he preferred eating in with lobstah.
0 Replies