A Parlour for a Plague

Joeblow

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 04:12 am
@Borat Sister,
Sucks to be me when I want to see pictures! No facebook.
Joeblow

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 04:18 am
@Borat Sister,
To keep people away from the immediate area. They're living under the boardwalk. Not that it stops the foxes, or the photographers.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 05:52 pm
@Joeblow,
Sebastian has been disappearing for long periods of time. This causes a degree of concern because cats aren’t allowed to wander in my community. Generally I am contacted pretty quickly if he escapes, so long absences with no news make me worry if he’s ok. At the same time I couldn’t see HOW he could have escaped.

Finally found his hidey hole!

I bought them a cylindrical cat scratcher with a nice big platform at the top to sit or lie on and two hidey holes in the barrel.

They stubbornly refused to use the hidey holes and fought over the top.

Now he’s discovered the joys of a hidey hole angled towards the sun and clearly becomes dead to the world in there, because normally he comes when he is called.

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 07:52 pm
@Joeblow,
It’s not scary to join! Lots of people you know there
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 09:32 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
..with all sorts of paper cushioning...

Yeah, something went wrong in shipping departments a while back. A few years ago I received a package of medical supplies. Essentially, 5 boxes, each smaller than would hold 5 or 6 audio cassette tapes (do they still make those). Anywho, these small boxes came in a very oversized box some 2 foot deep, 2 foot tall and 3 foot wide!

Inside were dozens of these annoying greenish plastic things filled with air. There was nothing breakable in the shipment and the package was ridiculously large and the plastic things were a complete waste. To add to the stupidity, the plastic things had to be cut or punctured in order to dispose of them.

I get super irritated with plastic waste. At least paper stands a reasonable chance of recycling. Plastic rarely does and it goes on to be consumed by sea creatures causing problems galore and often painful death. and causing other deathly dangers to land, sea and air creatures.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 10:04 pm
@Sturgis,
I once received by mail three 8 oz bottles of liquid. They came in an oversized box and were minimally plastic wrapped. Two of the bottles had been smashed to smithereens en route. Fortunately, I had a good return policy from them and they were replaced.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 10:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
It would appear you got my packaging material and I received yours.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 10:44 pm
I received this from a neighbor, and thought that this would be an appropriate place to post it. Enjoy!

chai2

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 11:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Forgive any mistakes, I’ m on my phone.
Normally I don’t mind packing materials as I will reuse them when I ship out. Saves me money and every penny I save in supplies is a penny earned. Rolls of bubble wrap costs money.

I have a theory that right now with shipping departments running short handed they might be using some people that just don’t care.

For instance yesterday in an order I received I got a bottle of a particular product, but it was the wrong formula. I couldn’t be bothered and just put that up for sale instead. Fortunately it sold by the next day. But it could have been a problem.

The thing with getting all those hair color in shipments that are still coming in makes no sense to me.

For instance, l bought let’s say 10 boxes each of colors A, B, C and D.

Why would I receive 10 each of A and C, but 2 of B and 3 of D? Then a day or so later I get 3 more of B and 1 more of D? Still not a complete order.

When they’re pulling from the shelves you know that all the different colors of that brand are stocked together, so what’s the problem with pulling everything that’s needed? They were items in stock I know that.

It makes me think that the workers they have right now are smoking about 5 joints then go and pull merchandise.

In normal times mistakes would be rare, and quickly corrected.

I just hate all the waste.

It all just screams “I don’t care. “
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 04:00 am
@Phoenix32890,
Ol’ Green Eye’s Bavk!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 06:15 am
Another problem these days concerns whether we receive our packages at all. I ordered something for the dog and when it finally tracked to be delivered on a specific day it never came. The post office informed us it could still show up within five days. It showed up in my box almost two weeks later, after I had concluded it had been put in the wrong receptacle and was lost forever. I had already reordered that same article.
chai2

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 09:29 am
@edgarblythe,
FYI edgar if that happens don't go by the notice that says it's out to be delivered on a specific day.

Sure that happens most of the time, but it's important if you hadn't gotten something to keep tracking until it actually says delivered. The postman/UPS/etc person marks it delivered on their device has it happens.

Sometimes I've opened my door and been surprised to find a UPS package there. Then an hour or 2 or 3 later my phone chimes and it tells me "delivered" Don't know what causes that delay on the systems part as I'm sure the driver, needing to keep up with the hundreds of packages, can't rely on memory, and policy says to mark off as delivered. <shrugs>

Other times, I'll hear that soft "knock knock" on the door, get up and be walking across the room when my phone chimes.
I'll open the door, see the package, and the UPS driver just at the end of my sidewalk. I'll always call out "THANKS" and get a wave in return.

It would be interesting if you tracked that item right now to see the status.
Were you able to cancel the item you ordered twice?
chai2

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 09:31 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yesterday at the store I found a jar of this....

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/aplus-media/sc/9c0319d5-1018-441a-b5d2-a31be5b82cf3.__CR9,0,258,516_PT0_SX150_V1___.png

[/quote]

dlowan, I had an Asian salad kit last night, and added a spoon of this butter to it.

Excellent.
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 09:35 am
Chai, I just noticed you signature line--brilliant!
chai2

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 09:55 am
@Setanta,
Thanks
Can't take credit for it, but I obviously thought it was pretty good also.

If you liked that, you'll love this....

https://sadanduseless.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/new-words20.jpg

That's from the Sad and Useless site.
There's some good stuff on there, including pictures of doggies doing doggie and non doggie stuff.
Setanta

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 10:01 am
That's a great site . . . I liked this one: “What’s the difference between God and Bono? God doesn’t walk around Dublin thinking he’s Bono.”
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 11:19 am
@chai2,
Chai - you will be the ruin of me. I am supposed to be working - I pulled up that damn website and have been looking at if for an hour.

Just so you know this is my husband in the "Ever Wonder Why Women Live Longer than Men"

https://sadanduseless.b-cdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/safety-first17.jpg

He did this exact dumba$$ thing last weekend. We have a tree that after talking to someone last fall (that knows trees) when I asked said this particular tree is towards the end of its life. I forget the type of tree it is called but it has really pretty flowers in the spring. Any way you can tell some of it is rotting in places and we had already cut those parts off. But my husband has been determined to get the out. Also some of its branches are just above and close to power lines going to our house.

So he gets the chain saw to the equipment store to sharpen and tune up. When he gets it back he starts at that tree. Then comes the hard part where the branches are near the power lines. He gets the ladder out and against my sane advice he goes at it. I don't know how he avoided the lines but it just barely hit them.

Then there was another tree - tall but not very thick that had partly uprooted and leaning against the other tree. It is on the property line of our neighbors - who earlier when she came out yelled to me how we were holding up - I think she saw my husband earlier going at that other tree - said going crazy yet --- yep I think this was a reference to my husband.

The next tree he got a good part down as it was leaning, then he gets the ladder again - well he got that darn chain saw stuck in the tree as it was cutting it. He had cut so much tree up that day the saw was getting dull. The tree did end up falling the rest of the way and fortunately did not hit anyone (including me). Our neighbor had since gone in - I think she was fearful he was going to kill himself.
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 11:37 am
@chai2,
I have it. It’s lovely. It’s TOO lovely
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 11:40 am
@Linkat,
Shocked Shocked

When I used to work in a hospital they’d say of spring that it was chainsaw and ladder accident time......man fall.

I don’t want to see a chainsaw accident.
Linkat

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 11:56 am
@Borat Sister,
Yeah I told him I don't think it is a good idea - but I knew he wouldn't listen to me.

I think he is just the type that has luck on his side.

He does stuff like that all the time.