A Parlour for a Plague

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 05:58 am
@glitterbag,
our chickens are a mixed bunch, We have AMERICAUNAS (blues and browns)and "Easter Eggers" (blues) as well as some WELLSOMMERS (brown and deep chocolate brown) an "Oliv eggers" (Theyre not a rel breed but an experiment. Crossing a blue Americauna with a brown Americauna) (Blue and Dark Brown) we get a dark OD.
Its just like Mendel's pea experiments. The rooster is the decision.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 06:56 am
@Setanta,
We see the occasional lone fox at home and at the cottage, though it's more often in the winter here, in the early morning hours. They like to trot up the middle of the street which has been plowed.

That looks like broad daylight and look at all the kits! And the people! They seem habituated.
Setanta

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:10 am
@Joeblow,
Yeah, that's a pretty amazing video. Many, many years ago, I was walking to work one morning, and topped a rise just as a fox or vixen came out of the hedgerow to the east of me, with a mallard in his/her mouth. The fox dropped the drake, and dashed back into the hedgerow. I walked one until I had started down the slope to the south, and could just see over the lip of the slope. The fox stuck his snout our, looked both ways, then snatched up the drake and ran into the hedge row to the west. He wasn't going to possibly lead me to the den, but he wasn't giving up that bird, if he didn't have to.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:34 am
I've had chickens. I learned from Henrietta and Lulu that, given the chance, chickens can be resourceful and make loyal pets. I took on raising them from chicks as a rescue effort, little realizing how important they would become to me. All these years later I miss them the same as any good pet that has departed. - Plus, I miss their eggs.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 07:59 am
@Setanta,
another thing very "foxy" is when the kits get just big enough,the parents will begin hiding food that they bring in. The kits then , as if by some command from one of the parents, will begin to fan out andhunt for the objects to eat. This game increases in complexity until the fox mama or papa will hide living , but crippled up, victims in low hanging trees .(YES foxes can climb low branched trees and fences). Within a few months after starting this training, the kits are pretty much skilled up, and in the next few months (about a year and a half total, the parents will kick the kids out. OFTEN VIOLENTLY. I keep a large pile of brush and tree branches out in a far pasture where we have a guy come in and shred it all for mulch. We do this like every other fall when all the fox families are out . This fall is on of those years.
Our two donkeys keep the foxes pretty much at bay. They have great fun at cornering the fox kits.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 08:01 am
Scottish comedian Denny Willis did this routine all over the country.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 09:49 am
I am currently watching someone who burned all their bridges set themselves on fire.

I'm not enjoying it, but I will admit there is a fair amount of facination.

Even in the best of times not sure how they would have gotten out of it. Considering the current environment? Wowzers.
Borat Sister

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 07:18 pm
@chai2,
Yikes.

0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 07:21 pm
I’m getting impatient for the slate guy to come and finish slating.

He’s very hard to pin down, but his work, when he appears, is good enough for us to put up with this.

I can’t set to with plants until he’s done....plus I want a back yard warming....at proper distance, of course! I. Also want to be able to pop something in the sunny corner the cats can enjoy sitting on.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 04:33 pm
@chai2,
So cryptic!

There's a word for what your feeling I think, but I can't recall it.

Um...starts with an s?
Joeblow

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 04:37 pm
@Borat Sister,
Pictures would be so nice. Do you do that?

Hope you're over the peeing on the bed incident! I'm not a pet owner, but I've heard that cats take their revenge if you make them angry.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 04:42 pm
@Setanta,
For all my talk, don't I just see a fox sitting pretty on the side of the road as I turn on to my street around 5:00 this afternoon.. Huh.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 04:43 pm
@Joeblow,
Did you see the vid The Girl posted?
Joeblow

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 04:59 pm
@Setanta,
Yes!

They've got it all taped off now.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 05:08 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

So cryptic!

There's a word for what your feeling I think, but I can't recall it.

Um...starts with an s?

Oh, I'm not trying to be cryptic.

It's a newish friend, someone I've only known 3 years or so.

A good person, but turns out little or no realistic vision of how if A is done, B will result.

One would say, "She'll be sleeping in her car", but she doesn't even have a car.
Just one of those "What did you think would happen?" things.
No drugs or drinking involved, just very poor decisions.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 05:42 pm
@Joeblow,
I do all over Facebook! I haven’t mastered it here.

I’m Dee Lowan on facebook
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 05:44 pm
@Joeblow,
It’s taped off where the foxes were?!?!
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 05:45 pm
@chai2,
That’s sad.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 06:33 pm
This really burns me up.

I'm switching gears a little to sell more hair color.

One of the orders I made consisted on 190 units.
So far I've received 71 of the units, which is not a problem.

But WTF do they send me multiple boxes with sometimes 3 units in a single medium size. box, with all sorts of paper cushioning around it?

We all know the size of a package of hair color. Evil or Very Mad

I don't mind if I get a box with 25 or 30 pieces, but 3?

When I think of the paper waste, the shipping cost, the gas, I want to grrrrr...

I got these at a deeply discounted price, so I can't see how any money was made.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 07:10 pm
@chai2,
Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhh. I hate all that over wrapping. Especially all the plastic.

Makes me a maverick mover. I barely wrap anything if I’m packing now....including crockery and glass ware. Usually it’s fine.

The fire packers were amazing. They wrapped everything in a shitload of paper and bubble wrap and hardly put any goods in each box.i guess because they then had to move them and knew how not to break their own backs.

It was terrifying when the boxes came back, because they almost filled the house!

But....I could lift them alone.

Luckily others were moving here and the packing materials were recycled immediately and most of the boxes also. The remainder went to feed our worms in the worm farm
0 Replies