0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 03:55 pm
@izzythepush,
we get cruising the cut on NEtflix streaming
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:10 pm
@farmerman,
Certain places rent them out for holidays. I know Norfolk is pretty big on the whole canal thing.

Locally there’s Devizes known for having a lot of locks.
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Narrow boats insides remind me of OScar Meyer's WIENER MOBILE
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 05:39 pm
@farmerman,
So it’s the gyre I get wrong. I even have silicone poached egg makers that just cook the bottom and leave the top raw. I hate a vinegary taste though.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 05:43 pm
@Borat Sister,
Now I want poached eggs and everything is closed except for take away! I don’t think they work as take away!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 05:57 pm
@Borat Sister,
Poached eggs can be done as a good take away - if the person really knows what they're doing. As the eggs keep cooking for a bit after removal, they have to have a magic sense of timing. There used to be a guy at a really cheap-ass diner up here that made great poached eggs - they were best as a takeaway as the place was a bit sketchy. His nephew took over and we never went back after one icky meal.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 07:44 pm
@Setanta,
I have very fond memories of my grand mother and my mother's cooking skills. I don't recall either one every studying a cook book, everything seemed to be baked into their memories. I don't remember either one makes poached eggs, but there were plenty of soft boiled eggs in egg cups. Tapping that egg was an art form. Add a little salt and pepper, perfect.
Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 09:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Are you a big-endian or a little-endian? Jonathon Swift, in Gulliver's Travels, mocked religious schism based on trivialities, specifically the split between the Roman Catholics and the Anglicans.

Quote:
It began upon the following occasion.

It is allowed on all hands, that the primitive way of breaking eggs before we eat them, was upon the larger end: but his present Majesty's grandfather, while he was a boy, going to eat an egg, and breaking it according to the ancient practice, happened to cut one of his fingers. Whereupon the Emperor his father published an edict, commanding all his subjects, upon great penalties, to break the smaller end of their eggs.

The people so highly resented this law, that our Histories tell us there have been six rebellions raised on that account, wherein one Emperor lost his life, and another his crown. These civil commotions were constantly formented by the monarchs of Blefuscu, and when they were quelled, the exiles always fled for refuge to that Empire.

It is computed, that eleven thousand persons have, at several times, suffered death, rather than submit to break their eggs at the smaller end. Many hundred large volumes have been published upon this controversy: but the books of the Big-Endians have been long forbidden, and the whole party rendered incapable by law of holding employments.

During the course of these troubles, the emperors of Blefuscu did frequently expostulate by their ambassadors, accusing us of making a schism in religion, by offending against a fundamental doctrine of our great prophet Lustrog, in the fifty-fourth chapter of the Brundecral (which is their Alcoran). This, however, is thought to be a mere strain upon the text: for their words are these; That all true believers shall break their eggs at the convenient end: and which is the convenient end, seems, in my humble opinion, to be left to every man's conscience, or at least in the power of the chief magistrate to determine.

Indeed, ladies in the past, who dedicated themselves to home-making, seemed to have magical powers in the kitchen.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 01:22 am
@Setanta,
Little Endian!!!!!

Down with the Big Endian heretics! Burn them!
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 01:25 am
@glitterbag,
We used to have poached eggs on toast on Sunday nights. Sunday night in those days was the Australian housewives “I cooked a ******* roast and I’m not going to cook tonight goddam you!” night.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 06:47 am
@Borat Sister,
There, there, Miss Wabbit . . .
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 07:58 am
@Setanta,
You’re NOT a Big Endian?
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 11:21 am
@glitterbag,
soft boiled eggs AHHHH, I had inherited my grammas egg cups which look like porcelaain hour glasses. My Dad got some egg cups in Burma. They came with an entire service set made of bamboo. The plates are made of the center nodal points of some really wide bamboo plants cause these dishes are like 9" in diameter
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 11:41 am
@Borat Sister,
I eats 'em any way they come. The Girl's mother use ta put mine in the egg cup big end up, just to mess with my mind. I didn't care, big end, little end, it's all eggses.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 02:43 pm
My boyfriend, his sister and their mother just dropped by with their pooch.

Boyfriend, mother, dog ... all were good with social distancing. Sister kept trying to sneak to where I was standing on the steps of my porch. She got all teary when I told her she couldn't come closer. She clearly wanted a snuggle. Made me sad. I do love those kids.

Little Miss E made a birthday card for me to send to hamburger/hamburgboy virtually. He will be 90 next wednesday and I had planned a surprise visit. Not happening. I will be sending virtual cards to staff at the retirement home and they will show them to him.

Crap on the crappy plague.

____

Big news. My boyfriend is pooping on the potty!

We sang a couple of rousing choruses of J is pooping on the potty before he left on his riding dinosaur.

Neighbours walking by laughed.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 02:49 pm
Confused another neighbour.

I couldn't find my Canadian flag for the porch, so I hoisted my Molson's Canadian flag.

C came out and asked if it was Canada Day already.

no.

A block over a lot of neighbours are flying flags as a solidarity thing, so I joined in.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Mgyg%2B4moL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I hope the porch pirates don't nab it.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 03:06 pm
@ehBeth,
How is your dad doing?
roger

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 05:29 pm
@Borat Sister,
Yeah, I haven't heard a word about hamburger in ages.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 05:58 pm
@Borat Sister,
He is doing well. the only real covid changes to his routine are not being able to access the computer and exercise equipment. He is doing a lot more reading than usual.
0 Replies