A Parlour for a Plague

chai2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:15 am
@Joeblow,
Oh Joeblow, that bread looks amazing!

I went on a bread making jag for awhile, until I realized I had to cut out carbs (blood glucose related)

It was so satisfying and relaxing making bread. I never realized how easy it was.

When I ran into any glitches, I would turn to a Paul Hollywood Youtube video.
He's the man.

I also started making my own saurkraut, learning that from "It's Alive With Brad" on youtube. He's the best. So funny, so knowledgeable. Here's the kraut video.....classic Brad.

You'll see he also teaches the magic of sourdough, kimchi, cured eggs and lots and lots of other fermented, cured, etc foods.

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:32 am
All of Korea smells like (or once did) kimchee and garlic. The Japanese used to disparage the Koreans by calling them garlic-eaters. Silly Japanese, what use is life without garlic?
Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:43 am
As I am dozing while falling asleep, or just waking, "Covid19" often lurks in the background. I wonder if the same thing happened during the "Great Mortality" of the 14th century? (That's what the English called what we call the "Black Death.") Those poor folks got hit by a double whammy. The spores of the plague bacillus have been found in a mass grave from the 14th century near London. At the same time, anthrax spores have been found in a 14th century mass grave in Scotland.

Europe also suffered several pandemic outbreaks of cholera over the last several centuries, and so did the United States. During an 1854 cholera outbreak in London, John Snow identified a public water pump as the source of the cholera outbreak in Soho. There was then no germ theory of disease, and Snow's investigation of the water from the pump was inconclusive. However, city authorities removed the pump handle, and cholera stopped spreading in Soho. Snow is identified, for that reason, as one of the founders of the science of epidemiology.

Let us hope that we don''t now get hammered by another form of pandemic.
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:48 am
@Setanta,
I like the smell of garlic if it's in proportion to the other aromas of the food.

The taste? Not so much. It's ok, but can quickly overpower.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:51 am
I never go a day without garlic. When I over do it, my wife lets me know about it.
Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
No smooches for you, eh?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 10:58 am
@Setanta,
I'm lucky she doesn't leave me on those days.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@chai2,
Hey! Right? It turned out pretty good! And yes, so easy!

I'm going to check out Brad's videos later, thanks for posting.

It's not something I'd eat every day. It's very dense with a chew-ish crust, but once in a while, like today when it's grey and cool... it's comfort food. Yummy. But I'm full. Like I ate too much poutine full.

chai2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 01:59 pm
@Joeblow,
Soup and crusty bread....mmmmmm.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 02:02 pm
@chai2,
I only have black bean, quinoa, squash and bell peppers stew....no crusty bread.
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 02:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Well the quinoa sounds satisfying.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 02:32 pm
I decided to watch a rerun of The Zoo yesterday. (It's a behind the scenes look at the Bronx Zoo.) Before the actual show began, the director of the zoo came on with a special announcement. Several big cats (tigers and lions) have been diagnosed with and are being treated for the COVID virus. The felines are doing well.

I don't know why it's just the big cats, and I don't know whether other animals are vulnerable.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 02:41 pm
@Roberta,
I've read that they are taking some strong measures to protect the great apes, too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 02:45 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:
Like I ate too much poutine full.

Mmmm . . . poutine . . . now I'm feeling deprived, 'cause I ain't got no poutine.
margo

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 03:08 pm
This is a great thread!

Why wasn't I told?
chai2

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 03:37 pm
@margo,
You didn't get the memo?

Look in your spam folder.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:06 pm
@Joeblow,
It does look great (your bread Joeblow). I made corn bread because we were running low on bread. Maybe I will get brave and try the real thing again.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 05:20 pm
@Tai Chi,
corn bread , DRROOOOL
ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 07:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman, if you've ever wondered what the SealPoet got up to .... just got this link from him

http://limericksofprotest.com/wp/
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2020 07:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I miss his presence and lotsa a his pomes