A Parlour for a Plague

farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 05:38 pm
@Setanta,
you guys preceeded the 'JACKASS"movies where theyd pile 4 guys in an oversize shopping cart and roll down some hill in Pittsburgh .
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 05:56 pm
@farmerman,
I read it's dead easy to make a yeast starter for sour dough. I also scanned an article the other day about making yeast with flour, water and dried fruit, say raisins. I just googled quickly and I think you can even use just flour and water. Takes days though.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We'll see how tomorrow's bread turns out.

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:11 pm
@Joeblow,
Good luck, Boss . . . I used to make my bread, but I've not done it in years.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:29 pm
@Joeblow,
yeh thats right. Grapes are plumb loaded with wild yeasts.

Mrs F made some crusty breads last week for us and a neighbor. It didnt turn out as well as usual because she ran out of "King (Somthing,I forget)" bread flour so she added All purpose flour. It was OK but not the gluteny rich breads we use to get with the real bread flour. The Amish stores sell it in 50 and 100 lb bags because the Amish bake almost very day what with familes of 10 oe 12
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:36 pm
A long time ago I bought one of those bread baking machines. For several months I made my own rye bread. Eventually I gave it up. But I still have the bread machine, just in case.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
did you grow your own rye and kimmel?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
I gave Kimmel a TV show.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed Ed , I forgot this. Im getting convinced about th anti bacterial properties of silver especially in water and air filters on humidifying equip. We have a chiller set up for making lab water at a certain pH and purity at a mine project. We are always sending some technician out to Colorado to clean the goddamn set up cause it develops a lot of black MOLD in as few as 2 months in the winter. I was told about some Silica compounds that are coated with SILVER that act like anti mold gizmos. We werent told anything by our suppliers of the de-humidification units and I did some reading about the ionic silver . SO, I had our tech go out to the site and pack a plastic colander with some old 1950's QUARTERS and HALF dollars. Weve been able to keep that unit mold free just with some coins in a colander ,screw the official Ag coated silica, I had the tech figure out an amount ofsurface area that a little RASCHI ring coated with silver provided, and he figured out how much "change" it took.
Goddam, Im slowly coming around , its actually working. Sorry if I poo poo;d it earlier, studied skepticism is easy, Proving why something works is a lot harder

sorry for th diversion rabbit but I owed ed a shout out on ionic/colloidal silver
chai2

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I
edgarblythe wrote:

A long time ago I bought one of those bread baking machines. For several months I made my own rye bread. Eventually I gave it up. But I still have the bread machine, just in case.

Rye bread dough is so strange.

It’s like a living thing.
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think kimmel is just the Jewy name for caraway
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:47 pm
@farmerman,
I have been worried about ionic silver, avoiding it. But I make my own colloidal, to be certain it's pure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I
edgarblythe wrote:

Rye bread dough is so strange.

It’s like a living thing.

I love that stuff, just overdid it until I gave up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:49 pm
@farmerman,
I honestly don't remember the recipe for the rye.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:55 pm
@Joeblow,
What’s a shaggy dough?
Borat Sister

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:57 pm
@Setanta,
With a youth like that Setanta, you’re lucky you lived to see your oldth!

Mind you, that’s true of most of us.....

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 09:06 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

What’s a shaggy dough?

Hard to describe but you know it when you see it.

It’s not nice and round like a plump little loaf. It looks, well, shaggy.

Like an American biscuit dough.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 09:09 pm
@farmerman,
So, the health food shops here stock alleged silver to drink.

Is there any evidence it’s good for humans as opposed to bad for mould?

I’m personally not aware of a mould problem.

I wonder if silver would keep my bird bath clean without harming the birds?

The bread thing has hit hard here, too. Getting flour is like winning the lottery! I don’t buy for myself but I try to for others.

I’m having trouble realising I’m the old vulnerable people....I’m still a shopper rather than a shoppee.

I was pleased yesterday to be able to manage easily a walk about 3 times longer than I’ve been able to whup my lazy butt out for for more than two weeks.

Went...at appropriate distance...with a neighbour and discovered the shortcut to the beach everyone talks about. Hint...it’s not actually a shortcut, it has the same number of steps as the long cut I normally use, but it takes one through our farm and along some lovely semi rural roads and along the linear park abutting our dear little creek.

So it’s sans cars and quite scenic.

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think everyone except me has a bread machine lurking somewhere!
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 09:18 pm
@Borat Sister,
we dont ither. I tried some bread machine bread years ago when some friends would make bread and make bread and wed have to eat it. Bread machine bread has no decent crust and its often kinda less tha fresh bread txtured
farmerman

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2020 09:22 pm
@Borat Sister,
when we make jellies and apple butter, the makers keep a silver dollar in the pot to act as a preventive so that the jellies or butters dont "granulate" .
I really have no idea how that occurs. SIlver has many properties. Its about the best electrical conduit