A Parlour for a Plague

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2020 08:24 pm
@Borat Sister,
so no baked onion or roasted garlic for you?

that would be too horrible to consider
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 01:51 am
@ehBeth,
Littl bit of onion and heaps of garlic
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 06:19 am
From the parlor bookshelf

I was going through books, looking for something to read, and came across Robinson Crusoe. I checked the chapter headings, and realized how much I had forgotten. So now I'm reading Bob Crusoe.
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 11:14 am
@Setanta,
I like Defoe. Loved Moll Flanders
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 12:06 pm
Are you reading these days, Miss Wabbit?
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 01:46 pm
@Setanta,
I only recall one Robinson Crusoe motion Picture and it was from the late 50's. Its videography was underwhelming and the story line didnt achieve "entertainment" status in my mind. Id like to see a well made flick of this classic.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 01:54 pm
@farmerman,
Here is a list of Robinson Crusoe movies.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls033635772/
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 02:00 pm
@farmerman,
When I was a kid there was a long running children’s drama that went on for something like 20 episodes. For me that was Robinson Crusoe, but I may be being overly nostalgic.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 05:27 pm
@Setanta,
Yep....but still not as I used to. That is, I lack focus for long, sustained reading.

I’m currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing and The Devil’s Feather and Drinking from the Trough.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 05:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Any of them good, do you think? I think I saw a Disneyfied kiddy version at some point in my childhood
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 05:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
The version I saw was the Dan Oherlihy one. It had a problem in the
Film. I think it was shot in 8mm and blon up to a level where it was really blurry. .

Ill look for the one with Pwrce Brosnan
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
The book is pretty damn cool!
Borat Sister

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 09:03 pm
@Borat Sister,
I’m supposed to be off to explore a ground nest of what is likely to be a major imported pest species here...the European wasp.

The person who found it was too scared to go close enough even to tell if it was wasps or bees.

We have a native wasp that looks startlingly like the European wasp, so I figured I’d go try and identify it. If it’s the European we should exterminate like a very Dalek.

Problem is how and who? Councils do it on public land, but we aren’t and it’s up to us.

They’re pretty dangerous so you need an exterminator. I probably shouldn’t just spray Mortein down there! Particularly since I am allergic to their stings and they can sting until they run out of poison and they attack together!
glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 09:24 pm
@Borat Sister,
Yikes

Be very very careful, they swarm and they are fast little buggers. Make sure you wear protective clothing and you can run like the wind....in other words "Haul Ass".

Rodney got stung a number of times last fall when he inadvertently disturbed a nest under some plants in the front. They sting like fire.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 09:38 pm
@Borat Sister,
Yikes! are you the local bug expert? no? call for an expert/exterminator (are exterminators essential services?)
chai2

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 10:52 pm
FYI for anyone who has Allstate Car Insurance

I was just looking at my account, and they are giving a shelter in place payback, since people aren't driving so much.

You'll have to download their mobile app to get it.

No idea how much it is.
Maybe other car insurance companies are doing this too.

Check it out.
chai2

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2020 10:54 pm
@chai2,
Says most people will receive 15% of their premium for April and May.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 08:24 am
@chai2,
Yeah I saw that advertised - for Allstate.

Awesome deal - it would be great for others to follow suit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 08:29 am
One beneficial side effect is that the air is cleaner. I always suffer from the air pollution when I take my daily long walk, but I have suffered much less lately. Yesterday I walked a mile and a half (I usually walk further, but with the police issuing citations for being in public places without a reason, I'm obliged to be more circumspect). It was much easier, and I enjoyed myself much more.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2020 08:30 am
@ehBeth,
Nope. But it’ll be cool when I go and they’ll be sluggish. I just want to get a look at one and rule out a native colony. The rest is up to the management committee
0 Replies