A Parlour for a Plague

chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 06:30 pm
@Setanta,
I came back from the market a little while ago, and was appalled by the experience.

It was like, "Are you people TRYING to be jerks about this distancing thing?"
Things like people who came in as a couple wandering away from each other, so now there 2 people you have to stay away from, rather than a single unit. Standing at the butcher counter, the butcher taking care of me, and more than one person having to shove their body close to take a look at the rib eye or brisket.
At the egg station, this young couple was taking forever staring at the egg cartons of one particular brand, don't know why, just staring. All the eggs at this store are pasture raised. While waiting for them, others coming up and just waking right up to them and taking a carton, making me step further back.

Throughout the entire store, people standing around like sheep or cows, gazing about them, apparantly because they hadn't been out in public for a day or something, and couldn't remember how a grocery store worked. Hint. You pick up something, and put it in your basket, and move. This is not the time to ponder each purchase.

Finally, at the checkout, the cashier (who's standing behind a shield) had to ask the guy at the next register to move over so I could approach. This guy literally had to have gone out of his way to stand where he was. By the time I left the store, I felt like I was crawling.

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 07:00 pm
Yesterday, this one clown threatened me as I walked down the street, saying I'd better get out of his way. I coughed ostentatiously, and moved toward him. The woman with him freaked, grabbed his arm and dragged him away. I know I shouldn't do things like that, but I enjoyed that one.

The local supermarket only allows 25 people in the store at a time. Those who are waiting to get in are lined-up, two yards apart. There's a store employee there to watch them. They don't look very happy about things, but they wait patiently. I've not been in a supermarket since "distancing" was mandated, so I can't comment on the ordinary propensity of civilized humans to act like complete morons. When I take my long walks, I walk in the alleys when possible, and when I have to walk among the morons, I'll step out in the street to keep way from them. Probably not more than two or three more months of this.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 07:51 pm
@Setanta,
I got some nice jalapeño queso sausages and some spinach and feta ones.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 08:04 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
At the egg station, this young couple was taking forever staring at the egg cartons of one particular brand, don't know why, just staring.

that could have been me.

I'm used to checking egg cartons to see if anything is broken. now, you touch, you buy. I'd be trying to Kreskin the cartons, to see which ones had no unbroken eggs.

georgeob1

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 08:46 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yesterday, this one clown threatened me as I walked down the street, saying I'd better get out of his way. I coughed ostentatiously, and moved toward him. The woman with him freaked, grabbed his arm and dragged him away. I know I shouldn't do things like that, but I enjoyed that one.
…..
When I take my long walks, I walk in the alleys when possible, and when I have to walk among the morons, I'll step out in the street to keep way from them. Probably not more than two or three more months of this.

It's got to be tough getting through the day believing that one is the only non moron in town
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:19 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:
At the egg station, this young couple was taking forever staring at the egg cartons of one particular brand, don't know why, just staring.

that could have been me.

I'm used to checking egg cartons to see if anything is broken. now, you touch, you buy. I'd be trying to Kreskin the cartons, to see which ones had no unbroken eggs.

Oh, they weren't interested in checking the eggs. They eventually took one and didn't even look inside.

It was weird. Like they were standing at an art exhibit or something. There were literally at least a hundred cartons of the same brand of eggs, and they just stared at them.

They were these. I call them Britney and Ida Mae eggs, because that's what we named the 2 chickens on the front.

https://i2.wp.com/www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Central-Market-H-E-B-Pasture-Raised-Grade-A-Large-Brown-Eggs.jpg?w=598&ssl=1
Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:15 pm
A great way to help enforce some distancing is the tried and true method I've employed for a few years.

Walking along, I notice a group of annoyances a few yards ahead. As I get near, I raise my cane, point it forward & hold it about a foot ahead. If they don't move, I politely say, "excuse me, coming through.". They stay put like gargoyles stuck in place. I try again. "Pardon me, coming through!"

if that fails, I shout, "move or die!". It always seems to work.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 10:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
They eventually took one and didn't even look inside.

what would be the point of looking? once you pick it up, it's yours. <shrug>

it's truly a whole new world
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 06:43 am
@ehBeth,
The CBC interviewed someone from REM the other day and played "The End Of the World As We Know It". Now I cannot get Great Big Sea's version out of my head (especially the "as we know it" part).

Going to try the senior shopping hour tomorrow I think. Mr Fix it will go in and basically buy whatever is available. (We have not been able to buy cooking onions for three weeks....)

EhBeth did you hear the ferry's May 1 sailing date has been cancelled? Talk about social distancing.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 07:56 am
@georgeob1,
This is not a political thread, don't start your sneering attacks here. I have already explained about people seeming unaware or unconcerned about distancing, and how hard it is to get around because of them. Right now, only about one in three people seem to understand and practice distancing--or perhaps they just don't care. When your life is literally at stake, I consider those people to be morons. Their lives may not be at stake, but mine very well could be. Leave the Wabbit's thread alone, and go pick a fight in one of the political threads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:19 am
Most people I see around here seem aware and try to keep their space. In grocery stores the stockers who are running all shift long often get too close. I don't think they intend it; they are focused on the one task: feeding the buying panic. I haven't seen a child in the street in over a week. Even the loose dogs are absent.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:25 am
@edgarblythe,
When I went for my long walk yesterday, there were a group of children (under Mom's supervision) who were decorating the sidewalks with colored chalk. They were having fun. I stepped into the street, about three yards away, and told them the sidewalk was very pretty. There is a family with children about half a block north of us. I've not seen them for weeks. Of course, I have no way to find out about them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:30 am
@Setanta,
On our walk in the park yesterday someone probably in near to early teens chalked messages all around the lake. Cute, good natured stuff, helping us put a good face on the current situation.
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, some of the chalked sections of sidewalk had slogans such as "wash your hands," and "stay healthy." This must all be bewildering for the little ones.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:54 am
I had to start my next door neighbor's lawn mower yesterday. She is as old as me but very tiny. All it took was a really good tug on the rope. She broke the six foot rule at one point and later called me to apologize. But we both used hand sanitizer and I washed with soap once I got home. After yesterday I think we will keep the distance.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 09:10 am
@Setanta,
Our street began getting chalked today. One of us is an artist so there were some great drawings! The kids were mainly the artists though, but with Margie’s help they excelled. I think more of us may join in.

It’s hard for little kids to do the distancing...especially with Margie. She’s kind of a kids’ pied piper!

We had drinkies in our Orchard, at the requisite distance and providing our own drinks and food.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 09:13 am
@ehBeth,
Oh god, out damned Beth, now I want pastries!!!!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 09:15 am
@ehBeth,
I have to say I do agree set’s bush could do with a trim!
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 09:23 am
@chai2,
We are thinking of getting some street chickens when things settle. Not to live on the street, but in the orchard to the west of our street.

One of us says she knows where to get the Taj Mahal of chook enclosures. The young chickens and bantams on the farm have been mainly taken by hawks, so no more open runs with fox proof night roosts. Not that the fox should be able to get into the farm...it has good fencing...but sometimes people don’t close the gate properly.

I am now getting veggies from the farm. They’re amazing!

A neighbour took a photo of her delivery sitting in her sink about to be washed. I have sent it to my accidental renaissance painting group. Not sure if it will be accepted, but it’s a great photo!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 09:55 am
@Tai Chi,
Indefinite postponement. That makes sense but still startling.
0 Replies