39
   

A Parlour for a Plague

 
 
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 11:27 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:



a man who has just spent over a year probably saving lives and probably working that time with little breaks


All the people doing dumb ass things could have saved just as many lives by not being selfish entitled jerks.

We all want to laud these "heroes" Not realizing we are all heroes when we stayed up and suck it up.

I'm a hero. I have endangered exactly zero people. Unfortunately it only takes one person traveling, being lax in anyway, to undo mine and others heroism by causing sickness and a horrible death.

BTW, I have to wonder why any assumptions I made are bad, but all of linkats, He "probably" had the vaccine, is twice the age of others, is in a secluded area, just saved a bunch of lives etc etc is fine in her world.

He could be the worst, shittiest RT in the country. He could very well have gone back to his job and find he didn't have it anymore.
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 11:32 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Testing is required.




Direct from the CDC.

That linkat, is where I get my information.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-mexico#:~:text=All%20air%20passengers%20coming%20to,flight%20to%20the%20United%20States.
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 12:00 pm
@chai2,
Testing is not required.

I agreed that test are required to get into the US, but not into Mexico.

Maybe you misunderstood or I did not state that but I thought I had. It is also possible the guy was heading back – my impression reading this was that he was just arriving. I could be wrong, but that was my impression and that was what I directed you to in the NPR report (if you read where I directed you) - it spoke to entry into Mexico.

Even according to the CDC it is not required; it does suggest you get tested before you go. I have searched for this and most websites it is a bit vague or does not mention a test requirement (even Mexico’s International Travel Info website – quite possibly because they do not require a test), but I found one where it is very clear – it appears the only thing you need to do to enter Mexico is to fill out a health form. I don’t agree with this and I would not travel currently to Mexico, but that is what is put in place.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/mexico-covid-19-entry-requirements-for-travelers/
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 03:11 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
BTW, I have to wonder why any assumptions I made are bad, but all of linkats, He "probably" had the vaccine, is twice the age of others, is in a secluded area, just saved a bunch of lives etc etc is fine in her world.

He could be the worst, shittiest RT in the country. He could very well have gone back to his job and find he didn't have it anymore


I did say I could be wrong he may be partying - my thing is as I stated WE DO NOT KNOW. Because you made assumptions all negative - I said I gave him the benefit of the doubt because I do not know. We have no report of him doing anything that shows that he was out of line.

Except in traveling to Mexico - which in your opinion is wrong. I have no issue with it if he does what he is supposed to - stays away from others, masks, etc., and gets tested before he returns. I also mentioned being in the line of work he is - he has the appropriate knowledge of what is safe behavior more so than you or I.

It is not that your assumptions are bad - it is that you state your assumptions as facts - you stated that this report you were listening said this man was on a crowded beach - but it was not fact - you assumed he was on a crowded beach and then you say things that I stated that I never did.

You are completed entitled to your opinion and I respect your opinion, however, I do not respect when others call things out as fact or say someone said so-and-so and never did.

All the things I stated I made clear were possibilities. I also try not to ream someone else and assume the worse. Not saying I have not but I do try not to.
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  0  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 03:15 pm
“Vacations are NOT necessary for mental health. “

Incorrect – at least according to psychology today they are

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/life-is-trip/201209/vacations-are-necessity-not-luxury

“Vacations have the potential to break into the stress cycle. We emerge from a successful vacation feeling ready to take on the world again. We gain perspective on our problems, get to relax with our families and friends, and get a break from our usual routines.”

” The health benefits that most improve during a trip include improved emotional well-being (54 percent), connection with loved ones (52 percent), amount of energy (35 percent), intellectual curiosity (34 percent) and mental clarity (30 percent).”
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 03:37 pm
@chai2,
“Whining is complaining about not being able to do stupid, unnecessary things. “

You are whining about things like basketball and people traveling (which on the surface may seem superficial and selfish to some). However, what should be considered is that they do save lives and help in mental health. You may have a viewpoint that they are stupid and unnecessary whereas I can and have pointed to sources that state otherwise and I believe otherwise.

You seem to have no sympathy or care about these kids’ mental health and depression to the point of suicide. CDC Director Robert Redfield stated in regard to July’s spike in suicides. “There has been another cost that we’ve seen, particularly in high schools. We’re seeing, sadly, far greater suicides now than we are deaths from COVID. We’re seeing far greater deaths from drug overdose,” said Redfield. Well quite possibly these do not concern you because they do not directly impact you, but it does not make them any less real or true.

But it is also okay to have a difference of opinion without calling someone selfish and ripping into them. My opinion is these are not selfish people or behaviors as long as they are taking the precautions that is set by our current government. These are behaviors that can actually help save people from mental health issues and in some cases their lives. At least in my opinion (and the opinion of many psychologists)– you are free to feel otherwise and I won’t berate you for feeling that way.
0 Replies
 
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 03:42 pm
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

Good lord. I have found you to be amazing at queuing!

Cultural issue, though. I found that in the US queues start much farther back from whatever you’re queuing for than other places.

We’d get into trouble in shops because we’d think that people were just waiting for friends, not in a queue because they were so far from the counter. We’d queue behind the people being served and get told off for queue jumping. We learned

Then, I’d wait for my friend outside loos....a few feet from said loo! A queue would form behind me!


The thing I noticed (at least where I live - hard to speak for all the US) is that with COVD people have been very kind with queuing and for some reason especially so at Trader Joes. We have a very small TJ a couple miles from my home - due to it being so small there is now frequently a line outside to get in. They tend for some reason to be the nicest and patient people waiting in line. I have no logical knowledge why but something I just noticed.

0 Replies
 
Tai Chi
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 04:53 pm
Just a thought. A vacation does not have to mean international travel or getting on a plane. Here we are being encouraged to consider a "stay-cation" . Staying close to home (in my case within my area health unit) is the way to go.
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 05:57 pm
@Tai Chi,
I agree to a certain point. One of the things that you can get traveling is a completely different scenery ... sometimes you almost have to leave your house to really relax - not to mention I have been working from home.., I would need to leave the house and If I were to be at home I wouldn’t relax I would have to do all these projects. Some of what I read the actual traveling is a benefit. And thinking if you live in a cold weather place ... I always feel so much better getting into the warmth ... but that is me. And I would personally avoid international travel. Although I would not feel comfortable with it I am not going to judge someone else on their selection.

I think for some people a staycation could work depending what your home surroundings are... would be tough in a one bedroom apartment. If weather is nice where you are I could go for some camping as an alternative a couple hour drive to the mountains in a couple of months would be a very good compromise for me.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  3  
Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2021 08:05 pm
I know what you mean about being homebound. I make a daily trip to Dennys for breakfast. There's just something satisfying about sitting around and looking at a different four walls.

Okay, I live a very small life.
Borat Sister
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 05:59 am
@roger,
At least you’re a rat again!
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 06:17 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I know what you mean about being homebound. I make a daily trip to Dennys for breakfast. There's just something satisfying about sitting around and looking at a different four walls.

Okay, I live a very small life.


Dennys does have its own unique beauty.
0 Replies
 
ascribbler
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 07:20 am
@roger,
Quote:
I live a very small life.


I always think of you as bigly.
roger
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 09:25 am
@Borat Sister,
Borat Sister wrote:

At least you’re a rat again!

I have always been a rat! Except for a brief time when I was an ocelot. It was kind of a thing one time when Roberta was hospitalized.
roger
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 09:27 am
@ascribbler,
You might oughta rethink that.
0 Replies
 
Borat Sister
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 03:01 pm
@roger,
Oh dear. But you were not always THAT rat, no?
roger
 
  3  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 04:50 pm
@Borat Sister,
Oh, yes I was. It was you that was a different rabbit.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2021 08:06 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Testing is not required.

I agreed that test are required to get into the US, but not into Mexico.




Are you ******* kidding me?

Well, I guess if you want to get home, you've got to get tested. So yes, testing is required.

I happened to be talking about Mexico, because that's were this stupid man went, but not targeting Mexico particular. This could be about any country, or even travel within the US.

Don't....do....it.

Re being selfish, ******* A right I'm selfish.
You know who's life is more important to me than anyone in the world? Mine.

If everyone had done what they should have in the first place. We wouldn't be having this talk. If we'd spent the months it took to completely take hold of this, there wouldn't be the aspects you speak of, suicides, not just of teens, but ALL people.

I hate to break it to you, but teens, and children, have no more value to their lives than anyone else. You're atuned to this because of your childs problems, or if she didn't the problems of her friends, because that's what you're around.

The bottom line is, anyone who is pushing the envelope in any way, has been and continues to endanger the lives of others.

Giving the benefit of the doubt is in large part what has gotten us into this mess. You do what you want. I'm going with the premise that anyone and everyone around me, vaccinated or not, could kill me. I'm not having it.

Stay-cation? Oh please. Some fancy word for what I've already said. Stay home, read a book, nap, get high, get drunk, rest.

You do know that most people don't even take vacations, right? Having to decide what and where to go for a vacation is truly a first world problem that at this time we can't afford, not just financially, not I would go so far to say morally and ethically.

Linkat, you are just looking for every loophole, your love of vacations, your kid having mental health issues, feeling entitled and deserving and transferring it onto the population in general.

Not one of us at this moment is entitled to Anything.



0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  1  
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 01:46 pm
Oh dear.

Whoever could have seen this happening?

I can't believe this is happening': Travelers recount tales of getting stuck in Mexico after positive COVID-19 tests


https://www.yahoo.com/news/cant-believe-happening-travelers-recount-120046029.html
roger
 
  1  
Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:12 pm
@chai2,
I guess having a country is like working for a company. Loyalty up Good. Loyalty down, well. . . .
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
OBVIOUS TROLL - Question by Setanta
Surgery--Again - Discussion by Roberta
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Soon to be world traveler, Dog willing! - Discussion by Stacey the red baron
The Bah! Humbug! Christmas thread. - Discussion by msolga
A good cry on the train - Discussion by Joe Nation
Why all the Decryptonite stuff? - Question by Tes yeux noirs
Oh rest ye, Merry Gentleman - Discussion by jespah
 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 06/28/2022 at 05:43:32