Torn between two jobs, feeling like a fool.....

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 03:44 pm
You're scaring me, trying to unravel that!

I am just giving away the Lang's Fairy Books I own. They're sitting in a trolley behind me, with a heap of other books.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 02:47 am
A better day at work today, Deb?

I hope so.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 04:05 am
msolga wrote:

I hope so.

Yes. FINALLY got to debrief with someone there.

The experience is still awful, but I feel better about it, and feel a bit supported in managing it.

Just got blindsided on Tuesday, didn't have my barriers up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 03:08 pm
Dlowan--

Good for you. Fairy Stories, gore and all, are very comforting.

Still, stupidity is a heavy weight, a lethal weight.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 06:12 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:

I hope so.

Yes. FINALLY got to debrief with someone there.

The experience is still awful, but I feel better about it, and feel a bit supported in managing it.

Just got blindsided on Tuesday, didn't have my barriers up.

Good! I'm glad it was just one of those temporary things! Very Happy

But when you say you finally got to debrief with someone there ...... well, I can see why you miss your friends from your previous workplace so much!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:26 am
Yeah...thing it is something that happens from time to time.......I have particular weaknesses re this stuff.

Sigh.

Then I castigate myself for having the weakness to be upset.....then castigate myself for being dumb enough to castigate myself for the weakness......and so on.

Well, you can see I KNOW what how I OUGHT to react......and how I ought then to react for being human enough to react that way anyway.....aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh.

That's why we need good debriefing and such.

I can like so help others re this stuff!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:34 am
In some demanding counselling situations, debriefing is sort of "built into" the job. Actually time-tabled into the week/fortnight, on a regular basis. It sounds like this could be useful in your workplace, Deb.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:39 am
msolga wrote:
In some demanding counselling situations, debriefing is sort of "built into" the job. Actually time-tabled into the week/fortnight, on a regular basis. It sounds like this could be useful in your workplace, Deb.

Lol! yes...so I say. Repeatedly.

And everyone agrees.

It just never happens......even when planned.

People just do not seem to feel safe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
dlowan wrote:
msolga wrote:

Lol! yes...so I say. Repeatedly.

A good friend of mine swore by it! Said it kept him saner (he was pretty sane, anyway!) & that being able to discuss his own counselling (of others) with fellow practitioners meant that was able to air the concerns that might have kept him awake at night, worrying!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:09 pm
Deb, by catching up on your thread, I can easily understand why you would go to the trouble to find another job. Unfortunate, isn't it, that management, with its own neuroses, seems to fail its employees to the point of actually planning unload sessions and failing to follow through? Even if it is the employees who fail to follow through, management could show enough support that the employees would feel more enthusiasm and confidence about attending a meeting.

Good for you for allowing your mistakes to be seen by others. Maybe in a few years, long after you're gone to another job, they will finally see the vital need for collective discussions.

Have you ever thought of starting your own practice? Yep, I realize the potential insanity involved with that, but still, you'd be the boss. Would management skills be easier for you as the boss?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:14 am
Diane wrote:
Deb, by catching up on your thread, I can easily understand why you would go to the trouble to find another job. Unfortunate, isn't it, that management, with its own neuroses, seems to fail its employees to the point of actually planning unload sessions and failing to follow through? Even if it is the employees who fail to follow through, management could show enough support that the employees would feel more enthusiasm and confidence about attending a meeting.

Good for you for allowing your mistakes to be seen by others. Maybe in a few years, long after you're gone to another job, they will finally see the vital need for collective discussions.

Have you ever thought of starting your own practice? Yep, I realize the potential insanity involved with that, but still, you'd be the boss. Would management skills be easier for you as the boss?

Actually, management DID follow through with "unload" sessions......but the staff reaction, en masse, was very negative.

I kind of didn't really get why, because I thought it was potentially useful (there were a few, organised with an outside person, who I knew from before and respected).

People seemed to be saying they didn't feel safe....and I CAN sort of get that (I don't feel very safe there...but not to the point of not being prepared to say things).

I kind of think where I work is maybe more the norm in such respects than where I was before, though there is starting to be a bit more sharing.

Another impediment, I think, is having so many part time staff where I am.....part time people tend to be less available for such stuff.

The other think affecting only me is I am the ONLY person doing my job where work.....I have no natural team at all. There is someone else doing the same job from another location, but our ability to support each other is limited, though we do try.

My sense is similar problems existed the previous time they tried to have the service I am running, and I think it kind of imploded because of people feeling very isolated and unsupported.....so they have tried to address that with a different structure this time, but it kind of isn't working.

I do suddenly overreact to negative events from time to time, which is part of what is happening right now.........damned if I know exactly why, unless it is some sort of cyclic mood thing (which is pretty common) or just the odd hormonal upheaval, plus just how I am programmed cognitively schematically, and emotionally regulationally, speaking from my particular history.

Whatever...it's a pain!

I don't have the energy to set up private practice.....it's really a big deal to do, and I am pretty dedicated to trying to work with the people who could never afford that, and really need services.

Who knows what the future holds?

Frankly, being a kept woman looks good now!!!!! I just never go out with people with any money!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 02:09 pm
I'm hoping your imput will encourage management to try harder. The part time staffers is a real negative--is it to save the cost of benefits as it is here in the States? That sucks in so many different ways.

Oh yeah, I can so see you as a kept woman. Thanks for bringing a huge laugh to my day. The bunny can be quite dangerous, but if she were kept, I can actually see a homicidal side of her coming to the fore. In fact, the bunny being kept would be an impossibility so strong that it might bring together all the black hole theories, leaving Hawkings in the dust--well, considering he is in a wheel chair, that would be pretty easy, but I digress...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:02 pm
Kept woman.

Kept in luxury or kept in restraints?

Or both?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:38 pm
Diane wrote:
I'm hoping your imput will encourage management to try harder. The part time staffers is a real negative--is it to save the cost of benefits as it is here in the States? That sucks in so many different ways.

Oh yeah, I can so see you as a kept woman. Thanks for bringing a huge laugh to my day. The bunny can be quite dangerous, but if she were kept, I can actually see a homicidal side of her coming to the fore. In fact, the bunny being kept would be an impossibility so strong that it might bring together all the black hole theories, leaving Hawkings in the dust--well, considering he is in a wheel chair, that would be pretty easy, but I digress...

The part time thing is something management would prefer not to do (our sister organization on the other side of town refuses to do it, which is actually illegal, I think), but with 7 pregnancies over the last two years, it would be a choice between negotiating part time, or losing all those staff...plus, as I said, part time work is supposed to be catered for. Other people have come in part time to take the hours left over by other part timers.

Other people are choosing to do part time because they feel saner working a less traumatizing job part of the time.

One person has just gone part time because she feels she needs and wants to. Again, they would not want to lose her....so, it is worker demand, not management meanness! They have the same benefits as full timers. It makes it much harder to run the place, actually.

Noddy24 wrote:
Kept woman.

Kept in luxury or kept in restraints?

Or both?

LUXURY!!!!!!! The manner to which I would have liked to have become accustomed!

Lol! Someone offered, actually, ages ago...when I was a struggling student.

Very debonair Pakistani opal merchant.....used to be a customer at the restaurant I worked at.

Proper offer and all! Retainer when he was overseas (which was most of the time) and showered with goodies and money when he was in town, if I would be his "companion" when he was IN town.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 03:55 pm
Of course your part-timers get benefits--I'm just too used to the Scrooge attitude over here.

Have you ever tried restraints? Hmmmm....?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:00 pm
Diane wrote:
Of course your part-timers get benefits--I'm just too used to the Scrooge attitude over here.

Have you ever tried restraints? Hmmmm....?

No.....sadly.....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
Sigh.........
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
It's clear to me that I made too much noise about not caring about money in my life... which I still don't. However... money can buy some freedom, sometimes.

My friend Antoinette used to say, along with many others, that "it's just as easy to love a rich man as a poor man". Now there's a debate question....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:07 pm
Diane wrote:
Sigh.........

I know.

ossobuco wrote:
It's clear to me that I made too much noise about not caring about money in my life... which I still don't. However... money can buy some freedom, sometimes.

My friend Antoinette used to say, along with many others, that "it's just as easy to love a rich man as a poor man". Now there's a debate question....

Lol! I kind of DID love a rich man for a while (he's a judge now)......but not for long.

And verily, I have been not ant, but grasshopper......and here comes Autumn.

nemmind....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:36 am
It sounds an unhealthy, repressive & entrenched work culture to me, Deb.
Ya know, another job might not be such a bad idea! Idea Very Happy I'd accept a pay cut for that! (if the culture was healthier)
Seriously.
Life is too short.
0 Replies