Coronavirus

Tai Chi

Sun 4 Apr, 2021 06:32 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

I qualify for a 60 - 64 pilot project so hope to get first jab tomorrow or Monday.

The az clusterfuck has delayed my appt .... again. Still waiting and hoping.

Things are looking up for you I hope ehBeth. We are still waiting here for a clinic or pharmacy. According to the website the nearest pharmacy to us that is offering vaccinations is still a five hour round trip away.
farmerman

Sun 4 Apr, 2021 08:32 am
@Tai Chi,
I saw on Dr John Campbell's site that both Ontario and Quebec have some really high percentage increases due to the UK variant.
Weve had the same here in Pa but its settling down as the most vulnerable population (over 65) has recd at least one shot. However the variant is more agressive and the younger folks are catching it.
We had a rept that (in the Colo Ski country), there was a huge increase in variant driven symptomatic infection AMONG AGES 18 THROUGH 39.
Seems to me, thats the "bubble" of the ski ages. Apres ski partying has consequences.

e must remain compliant and ry to get at least the first shot (+7days wait) to reduce severity of any infection.

1 shot of the Moderna (its the only one Ive seen stats) after 7 days has a 100% efficacy against hospitalization . Symptoms are more like a bad cold.

Instaed of Biden sending doses to Africa right now, he should send more up to Canada. UK is sending you guys doses no? And your own mfg rate is reportedly stoking up fairly fast .NO?
Region Philbis

Mon 5 Apr, 2021 05:12 am

Rapid OTC COVID tests are coming to stores near you
(medscape)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 5 Apr, 2021 08:37 am
@Tai Chi,
Finally moved from pre-registration to booking status. Yay. Now the sdm site for booking has crashed. I got to within 1 minute of booking then kaboom. Glad they dumped Hillier in Ontario, the new guy has to be better.

You've got to go off island? I thought they'd have made the island a priority.
ehBeth

Mon 5 Apr, 2021 08:40 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

And your own mfg rate is reportedly stoking up fairly fast. NO

I don't think we have any vaccine production for covid in Canada.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 5 Apr, 2021 08:58 am
@ehBeth,
And progress ....Sunday at 11 a.m. !
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Mon 5 Apr, 2021 10:32 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

You've got to go off island? I thought they'd have made the island a priority.

If I was in long term care I would have a shot by now I think. Or if I was indigenous. The only public vaccination I have heard about was for health care workers. Glad to hear you have been booked!
Region Philbis

Tue 6 Apr, 2021 11:19 am

Researchers are hatching a low-cost Coronavirus vaccine:
NDV-HXP-S

A new formulation entering clinical trials in Brazil, Mexico, Thailand and Vietnam
could change how the world fights the pandemic

(nyt)

0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 6 Apr, 2021 11:49 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:
The only public vaccination I have heard about was for health care workers. Glad to hear you have been booked!

I'm amazed at hearing you guys talk about vaccine shortages outside the US.

I'm really not comfortable with the disparity between US and non-US here.

I really hope we start pumping tons of vaccines out to the world, and soon.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 6 Apr, 2021 12:50 pm
Four million vaccine doses administered in one day last week!
oralloy

Tue 6 Apr, 2021 01:48 pm
@engineer,
Good for us, but I think we need to share more with our friends and allies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 9 Apr, 2021 06:54 am
‘Yippee!!!’: Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus
Quote:
Trump appointees in the Health and Human Services department last year privately touted their efforts to block or alter scientists’ reports on the coronavirus to more closely align with then-President Donald Trump’s more optimistic messages about the outbreak, according to newly released documents from congressional investigators.

The documents provide further insight into how senior Trump officials approached last year’s explosion of coronavirus cases in the United States. Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees were attempting to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with an alternate set of talking points.
... ... ...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 13 Apr, 2021 05:49 am

US calls for pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine after clotting cases
(nyt)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 15 Apr, 2021 03:52 pm

Regular exercise may help protect against severe Covid
(nyt)
roger

Thu 15 Apr, 2021 03:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
Don't believe everything you read.

Yawn
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 17 Apr, 2021 05:46 am
U.S. Intelligence Report Warns of Global Consequences of Social Fragmentation

The coronavirus pandemic has highlighted weaknesses of the international order, said the report, which is issued every four years.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — U.S. intelligence officials warned in a report issued on Thursday about the potential fragmentation of society and the global order, holding out the possibility of a world where international trade is disrupted, groups of countries create online enclaves and civic cohesion is undermined.

The report, compiled every four years by the National Intelligence Council, mixes more traditional national security challenges like the potentially disruptive rise of China with social trends that have clear security implications, like the internet’s tendency to exacerbate political and cultural divisions.

A previous version of the report, released by the Obama administration in 2017, highlighted the risk of a pandemic and the vast economic disruption it could cause — a prescient prediction in hindsight.

The new report said that the coronavirus pandemic showed the weakness of the world order and that the institutions devised to face past crises are inadequate to coordinate a global response to new challenges like the spread of Covid-19. The failure of those institutions deepened public dissatisfaction and further eroded faith in the old order, the report said.

“Efforts to contain and manage the virus have reinforced nationalist trends globally, as some states turned inward to protect their citizens and sometimes cast blame on marginalized groups,” the report said. The response to the pandemic has fueled partisanship and polarization in many countries as groups argue over the best response and seek scapegoats to blame for spreading the virus and for slow mitigation efforts.

The global trends report — unlike the intelligence agencies’ annual threat assessment — is not supposed to look at immediate challenges. Instead, the report takes a longer-term, strategic look, trying to peer 20 years ahead to examine how current changes could transform the world of the future.

The intelligence council provides long-term strategic analysis for the director of national intelligence. It also regularly produces reports and assessments for officials and the National Security Council.

The report predicted that current trends would make global politics more volatile. On the international stage, China will continue to challenge the United States and the Western-led world order, and politics in certain countries will become more contentious, officials predicted.

Climate change was also a focus of the report, which noted the difficult adaptations that countries would need to make, such as building rainwater storage and reinforcing sea walls. Climate change would further drive global migration, which is already increasing, the report predicted. Technological innovation and cooperation between China and the West are keys to adapting to climate change, demographic shifts and other challenges, it said.

Income inequality could grow worse, the report said, tying it at times to information inequality.

The “trust gap” between an informed public that has faith in a government solution and a wider public with deep skepticism of institutions is growing, the report said.

The problem is made worse by technology. Algorithms, social media and artificial intelligence have replaced expertise in deciding what information spreads most widely, and that has made the public more vulnerable to misinformation.

Still, positive demographic changes in recent decades, with people moving out of poverty and into the middle class, had creating “rising expectations,” said Maria Langan-Riekhof, the director of the intelligence council’s strategic futures group. But fears of falling income across the globe are growing, a worrisome trend when coupled with changes in how information is shared and social divisions have deepened.

“Those concerns are leading people to look for the security of trusted voices, but also of like-minded groups within their societies,” Ms. Langan-Riekhof said. “Overlay those trends I’m describing, and you kind of see that recipe for greater divisions, increasing fracturing. We think that is likely to continue and probably worsen.”

Over time, the report said, these trends could weaken democratic governments.

“At the same time that populations are increasingly empowered and demanding more, governments are coming under greater pressure from new challenges and more limited resources,” the report said. “This widening gap portends more political volatility, erosion of democracy and expanding roles for alternative providers of governance. Over time, these dynamics might open the door to more significant shifts in how people govern.”

The global trends report has often looked at possible future situations. In the 2017 report, one example contemplated a pandemic plunging the world into economic chaos. It envisioned nationalistic politicians eroding alliances, a drop in oil prices causing calamity and more isolationist trade practices. It also forecast a pandemic (albeit in 2023, not 2020), which restricted travel, caused economic distress and exacerbated existing trends toward isolation.

The report has discussed the risk of a pandemic for nearly two decades, said Gregory F. Treverton, a former chairman of the National Intelligence Council who helped lead the 2017 effort. The 2004 report said some experts believed it was “only a matter of time” before a pandemic, he said.

“It was talking about a scenario exactly like what’s happened: a major global pandemic that shut down global commerce, air travel,” Mr. Treverton said. “The reports have been strategic warnings, and that is how I think of them, helping people who want to be strategic.”

The new report credited the previous documents for highlighting the potential for new diseases and pandemics but acknowledged that “we lacked a full picture of the breadth and depth of its disruptive potential.” For the new effort, the National Intelligence Council looked at which trends the coronavirus pandemic was accelerating and which were slowing.

“Much like the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Covid-19 pandemic is likely to produce some changes that will be felt for years to come and change the way we live, work and govern domestically and internationally,” the report said. “How great these will be, however, is very much in question.”

Even before the spread of the coronavirus, National Intelligence Council analysts were examining the idea of more shared global challenges. But the coronavirus, Ms. Langan-Riekhof said, “really drove it home for us.”

“Challenges aren’t going to stay within the borders of a single country anymore, and we’re going to feel them globally much faster,” she said. “This may be a foreshadowing of things to come.”

nyt
Walter Hinteler

Tue 20 Apr, 2021 01:53 am
@hightor,
In the worldwide "press freedom ranking" of the organisation Reporters Without Borders (RSF), Germany has dropped out of the top group for the first time. "Due to the many attacks on Corona demonstrations, we had to downgrade the situation of press freedom in Germany from 'good' to only 'satisfactory': a clear alarm signal," explained RSF board spokesperson Michael Rediske in the assessment published in Berlin today (Tuesday).

"The main reason for this assessment is that violence against media professionals in Germany reached an unprecedented dimension in 2020," the organisation said, explaining its downgrade. In the calendar year 2020, RSF (the acronym comes from the French name "Reporters sans frontières", by which the organisation is known internationally) counted at least 65 violent attacks against journalists in the country. "This is a fivefold increase compared to 2019 (at least 13 attacks)." The organisation further assumes that the number of unreported cases was higher in 2020 than before.

2021 World Press Freedom Index
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 27 Apr, 2021 08:42 am
A K-8 school in Miami is refusing to hire or allow contact between students and teachers who have taken a Covid 19 vaccine.

Quote:
In an example of how misinformation threatens the nation’s effort to vaccinate enough Americans to get the coronavirus under control, Ms. Centner, who has frequently shared anti-vaccine posts on Facebook, claimed in the letter that “reports have surfaced recently of non-vaccinated people being negatively impacted by interacting with people who have been vaccinated.”

“Even among our own population, we have at least three women with menstrual cycles impacted after having spent time with a vaccinated person,” she wrote, repeating a false claim that vaccinated people can somehow pass the vaccine to others and thereby affect their reproductive systems.

In the letter, Ms. Centner gave employees three options:

Inform the school if they had already been vaccinated, so they could be kept physically distanced from students;

Let the school know if they get the vaccine before the end of the school year, “as we cannot allow recently vaccinated people to be near our students until more information is known”;

Wait until the school year is over to get vaccinated.

Teachers who get the vaccine over the summer will not be allowed to return, the letter said, until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed, and then only “if a position is still available at that time” — effectively making teachers’ employment contingent on avoiding the vaccine.

This was so absurd, I made sure it was widely reported and not an article from The Onion.
BillRM

Tue 27 Apr, 2021 08:54 am
@engineer,
Lord it is so amazing how stupid people can be.
0 Replies

George

Tue 27 Apr, 2021 11:40 am
Quote:
until clinical trials on the vaccine are completed

Is she conducting her own?
0 Replies