Coronavirus

izzythepush

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 10:09 am
@roger,
I got my first one this morning.
roger

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
Sometimes, they tell us that one is enough. I have reservations about that.
izzythepush

Thu 4 Mar, 2021 10:55 am
@roger,
My younger son is having his later on today.
engineer

Fri 5 Mar, 2021 07:52 am
Of all places, West Virginia is one of the leading places in the world for vaccine rollout. Now the governor is making his thoughts on mask wearing known.

Quote:
West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice said Thursday that he disagreed with the decisions by fellow Republican governors in Texas and Mississippi to lift mask mandates, calling such steps unwise and reflective of a “macho” mentality.

“I don’t want to be critical, but some people want to just move because it’s the most politically correct thing that they can do,” Justice told CNN’s John King, when questioned about Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves each announcing the end of state mask mandates this week. “It becomes almost a macho thing... In West Virginia, we want to be cautious, we want to be safe, we want to be respectful of everybody’s rights.”

Justice said he had not broached ending West Virginia’s mask mandate with his medical team. He stressed that his state ― which boasts one of the highest COVID-19 vaccination rates in the world thanks to a strong rollout through coordination with local pharmacies and the National Guard ― had listened to scientific experts and exercised caution regarding the coronavirus pandemic.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Sat 6 Mar, 2021 10:07 am

https://iili.io/q2PdAb.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 03:33 am
Who hacked the medicines agency Ema, which reviews Corona vaccines in the EU? And what was the goal of the attacker or attackers? These questions have been discussed since mid-December.

At that time, the authority made public that it had been the focus of a cyber attack. However, it did not disclose any details. It eventually became known through the media that the hackers had gained access to vaccine documents from the Mainz-based company Biontech. Ema itself said a few days later that "a limited number of documents belonging to third parties had been illegally accessed".

The Dutch newspaper "de Volkskrant" has now published a major investigation into the case, based on unnamed sources close to the investigation. According to their information, it was apparently Russian hackers who succeeded in gaining access to Ema's e-mail traffic in the autumn, initially by means of falsified e-mails.

De Volkskraant: Russian and Chinese hackers gained access to EMA (report in English)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 7 Mar, 2021 08:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

My younger son is having his later on today.

Actually that was a lie, he’s only just had it. Thursday was for pensioners getting their second jab of the Pfizer vaccine which he couldn’t have because they couldn’t guarantee a second jab in 12 weeks.

Like me he had the Astra Zeneca jab.
glitterbag

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 03:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I was able to get the J&J vaccine today, Mr. G'bag got his on Sunday. Big weight lifted ...... now let's make sure everybody has access to the vaccines.
izzythepush

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 03:45 pm
@glitterbag,
Will you just be having the one jab or are you going back for a Second?
roger

Mon 8 Mar, 2021 04:54 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I was able to get the J&J vaccine today, Mr. G'bag got his on Sunday. Big weight lifted ...... now let's make sure everybody has access to the vaccines.

Yeah, big weight lifted. Then you remember how many other ways there are to die.
glitterbag

Thu 11 Mar, 2021 12:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Will you just be having the one jab or are you going back for a Second?

No, right now it's just one. As this pandemic rolls along there may be a need for additional treatments........I'm just thankful that the grownups are now in charge and will adapt to changes and not chain themselves to a political position that has killed over half a million people just here in the United States.
glitterbag

Thu 11 Mar, 2021 12:13 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Yeah, big weight lifted. Then you remember how many other ways there are to die.

Well none of us gets out alive Mr. Joyboy, now stop trying to cheer me up.
izzythepush

Thu 11 Mar, 2021 02:04 am
@glitterbag,
I’ve got to have another one in May, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is a two shot one.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Thu 11 Mar, 2021 04:37 am
@roger,
Quote:
Mr. Joyboy
if you ever get tired of the "roger" handle, you've got this gem waiting for you in the on-deck circle...
hightor

Thu 11 Mar, 2021 04:57 am
As Cases Spread Across U.S. Last Year, Pattern Emerged Suggesting Link Between Governors' Party Affiliation and COVID-19 Case and Death Numbers

Starting in early summer last year, analysis finds that states with Republican governors had higher case and death rates

Quote:
The per-capita rates of new COVID-19 cases and COVID-19 deaths were higher in states with Democrat governors in the first months of the pandemic last year, but became much higher in states with Republican governors by mid-summer and through 2020, possibly reflecting COVID-19 policy differences between GOP- and Democrat-led states, according to a study led by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Medical University of South Carolina.

For their study, the researchers analyzed data on SARS-CoV-2-positive nasal swab tests, COVID-19 diagnoses, and COVID-19 fatalities, for the 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. After adjusting for confounding factors such as state population density, they found that Republican-governed states began to have consistently higher rates of positive swab tests in May, of COVID-19 diagnoses in June, and of COVID-19 mortality in July.

The results, published online March 10 in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, suggest that policy differences between Republican- and Democrat-governed states, including mitigation measures such as mask mandates and social distancing requirements, may have led to systematic differences in COVID-19’s impact on public health, the researchers say.

“Governors’ party affiliation may have contributed to a range of policy decisions that, together, influenced the spread of the virus,” says study senior author Sara Benjamin-Neelon, PhD, professor in the Bloomberg School’s Department of Health, Behavior and Society. “These findings underscore the need for state policy actions that are guided by public health considerations rather than by partisan politics.”

The analysis covered March 15 to December 15, 2020, and included the number of SARS-CoV-2 tests, positive tests, COVID-19 case diagnoses, and COVID-19 fatalities. The researchers used a sophisticated statistical tool called a Bayesian negative binomial model to estimate, for each day in the nine-month study window, the relative risks or chances of getting tested, testing positive, getting COVID-19, or dying of COVID-19, for people in 26 GOP-governed vs. 25 Democrat-governed states. Washington, D.C. was treated as Democrat-governed.

The researchers were aware that many other factors, including the natural progression of the pandemic from early waves in urban areas, such as New York City and Seattle, to later waves in rural areas, might have contributed to differences between Republican- and Democrat-led states. However, they attempted to correct for these confounding factors in their analysis.

Their findings, even when factoring in these confounders, revealed a clear pattern in which Democrat-led states were hardest-hit early in the pandemic, but after a few months Republican-led states on average began to have more positive tests, COVID-19 cases, and more COVID-19 deaths. The transition occurred for testing-positivity on May 30, for COVID-19 case diagnoses on June 3, and for COVID-19 deaths on July 4. The differences between the two groups of states peaked in the period from late June to early August—for example, on August 5 the relative risk of dying of COVID-19 was 1.8 times higher in GOP-led states.

Testing rates were similar for the two sets of states until late September when Republican-led states began to have lower testing rates.

Other studies have found evidence that Republican governors in 2020 were broadly less strict than their Democrat counterparts in setting policies on mask-wearing, social distancing, and other pandemic-related measures. The researchers say that those studies, along with the links they found between Republican governorship and greater COVID-19 impact, are consistent with the idea that the political polarization of the COVID-19 response has contributed to less effective COVID-19 policies and worse case-related statistics in some states.

“Despite a more coordinated federal response this year, governors still play a key role in the pandemic response,” says Benjamin-Neelon. “As we’re seeing, several states have lifted mask requirements even though we have yet to make substantial progress in controlling the spread of the virus.”

Brian Neelon, PhD, professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at the Medical University of South Carolina, is the paper’s lead author.

“Associations between governor political affiliation and COVID-19 cases, deaths, and testing in the United States” was written by Brian Neelon, Fedelis Mutiso, Noel Mueller, John Pearce, and Sara Benjamin-Neelon.

johnshopkins
Walter Hinteler

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 10:06 am
@hightor,
Republican men are a central part of coronavirus vaccine resistance
Quote:
Fox News does not appear to be helping to change that opinion.
[...]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/6FKEJX2UBFFC3ON5EJK2NXAQFI.png&w=540

... ... ...
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 01:39 pm
Michigan's going to open up vaccination to my age group in a few weeks. Very Happy

I'm going to try to jump the queue so I'm among the first in my group to get the shot.

I'm not going to share how until after I do it though. Knowing some of the creeps on this site, they might try to contact someone to have the exploit closed before I am able to use it, just to spite me.

I also need to decide which vaccine I'm going to get now. I'm leaning towards Johnson & Johnson so I can be one and done. I'll try to get a booster later on of course if I do that. But it will be nice to not have to wait for a second shot in order to get full protection.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 12 Mar, 2021 03:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
Mr. Joyboy
if you ever get tired of the "roger" handle, you've got this gem waiting for you in the on-deck circle...

I didn't make that up, it was the name of a character in a 1965 movie called 'The Loved One'. The film was parody of American Funeral rites based loosely on Forest Lawn. Mr. Joyboy was played with over the top glee by Rod Steiger, the somewhat twisted head mortician. Very dark but goofy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 15 Mar, 2021 09:18 am
An analysis by British researchers has provided further evidence that the B.1.1.7 coronavirus variant first discovered in the UK is more deadly than the original virus. According to the study, which was published on Monday in the scientific journal "Nature", the scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine expect a 55 percent higher risk of death from infections with B.1.1.7 compared to the original virus. Known risk factors such as age, gender and ethnicity were taken into account.

The absolute risk of dying from a coronavirus infection increases from 0.6 to 0.9 per cent for a man in the 55-69 age group within four weeks of a positive test.

Nature: Increased mortality in community-tested cases of SARS-CoV-2 lineage B.1.1.7

An analysis published last week in the "British Medical Journal" had produced similar results. Researchers at the University of Exeter found that the risk of death from infection with B.1.1.7 was about 64 percent higher than for other corona variants. The scientists had analysed the deaths of almost 110,000 infected people over the age of 30 who had come to coronary care centres. Several studies have shown that current vaccines can prevent deaths for the most part.
British Medical Journal: Risk of mortality in patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern 202012/1: matched cohort study
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 15 Mar, 2021 01:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Mrs F and I dropped everything to get our vaccine doses tody. They had a few hundred doses left and began calling those scheduled for later in the month. SO we got our first dose of Moderna vaccine.

Like you say, Its a big load off
0 Replies