Coronavirus

engineer

Wed 9 Dec, 2020 04:11 pm
From the coronavirus summit, the President's comment on the rising rate of infections across the country:

"I hear we're close to 15 percent. I'm hearing that, and that's terrific"

Pushing "herd immunity" while tens of thousands die and hundreds of thousands are in the hospital. WTF
derpydoo

Wed 9 Dec, 2020 04:35 pm
@engineer,
biden should make it illegal to not wear a mask. Masks cure the disease. Everyone should have to wear one, even in the car by themselves
roger

Wed 9 Dec, 2020 04:44 pm
@engineer,
Doesn't take much to make some people happy, does it?

I guess, in the original usage, 'terrific' was pretty good.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 9 Dec, 2020 06:53 pm
@engineer,
actually 80+ % of the US population has NOT been exposed to coronavirus -19 .YET!!! WE have lotsa room for expansion.

0 Replies

Palandre

Sun 13 Dec, 2020 12:14 pm
@derpydoo,
Quote:
Masks cure the disease.

any proof of this nonsense?
maxdancona

Sun 13 Dec, 2020 12:52 pm
@Palandre,
Palandre wrote:

Quote:
Masks cure the disease.

any proof of this nonsense?

Derpydoo is a virus denier who is being sarcastic. He is isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is.
Palandre

Sun 13 Dec, 2020 09:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Derpydoo is a virus denier who is being sarcastic. He is isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is.

Still no proof, eh?!

figures, there is none, There is proof of the dangerousness of the face diapers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 16 Dec, 2020 04:10 am
From today onward until (at least) January 10, schools and non-essential shops are closed in all German states.
People must, where possible, work from home; people must, where possible, work from home.
Private gatherings will be limited to a maximum of five people from two households - with an additional four close family members allowed over Christmas.
In some municipalities/districts/some states night-time curfews and a ban on going out for anything other than essential reasons imposed in some areas as well as no alcohol is allowed in the public (= no take-away gluehwein)

And today, the Evangelical Church of Westphalia (the largest church in our state) appeals to congregations to refrain from all attendance services and meetings for the time being. This regulation is to apply until 10 January.

Walter Hinteler

Thu 17 Dec, 2020 07:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Sweden was often named to be the best example how to deal with the pandemic:
• the two major Swedish regions of Stockholm and Skåne have both been forced to postpone non-emergency care as the healthcare sector works hard to cope with a surge in coronavirus cases since this week.
"We got three different scenarios from the Public Health Agency this summer. We prepared for the worst, and it turned out twice as bad," Falk, a doctor at an intensive care unit at the Karolinska Hospital in Stockholm told AFP.

• Sweden schools agency cancels national spring exams
(Source for above: The Local)

• The king of Sweden has said the country’s anti-lockdown coronavirus strategy has failed, as hospitals in the Stockholm region warned they were struggling to cope with a surge in cases and polls showed public confidence in the authorities had plunged to a new low.
"The people of Sweden have suffered tremendously in difficult conditions," King Carl XVI Gustaf told the state broadcaster SVT in an end-of-year interview. "I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died, and that is terrible."
(Source: STV)
Walter Hinteler

Thu 17 Dec, 2020 09:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In November, a member of the right-wing AfD party in the Bundestag (German parliament) attracted attention by wearing a mask with holes.
Today it was reported by his office that Thomas Seitz has been hospitalised with a Corona infection.

Since the outbreak of the pandemic, 23 of the 709 members of the German parliament have been infected with the coronavirus, according to the Bundestag administration. According to the parliamentary AfD group, "several" of the 88 AfD members are affected.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 17 Dec, 2020 09:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, I came here to post that story. I watched the Swedish response with some measure of disbelief — what were they thinking?
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 17 Dec, 2020 09:21 am
@engineer,
I posted the whole article on the Monitoring Trump thread but this bit on herd immunity is relevant:

Quote:
Although the White House has tried to distance itself from senior Health and Human Services Adviser Paul Alexander, last summer he was widely perceived to speak for his boss Michael Caputo, the Health and Human Services Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs whom Trump had appointed, and for the White House itself. Alexander, a part-time university professor from Canada, defended Trump against scientists, accusing CDC Principal Deputy Director Dr. Anne Schuchat of lying when she provided accurate public information about the worsening pandemic. When she suggested everyone should wear a mask, he claimed: “her aim is to embarrass the President.” Alexander attacked Anthony Fauci for his attempts to protect Americans. “He just won’t stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” wrote Alexander on July 3, 2020 (yes, I counted the exclamation points); “does he think he is the President???”

Alexander advocated spreading the infection to younger Americans: “So the bottom line is if it is more infectiouness [sic] now, the issue is who cares? If it is causing more cases in young, my word is who cares…as long as we make sensible decisions, and protect the elderely [sic] and nursing homes, we must go on with life….who cares if we test more and get more positive tests.”

Alexander wrote to Caputo: “There is no other way, we need to establish herd, and it only comes about allowing the non-high risk groups expose themselves to the virus. PERIOD.” On the same day, he wrote: “Infants, kids, teens, young people, young adults, middle aged with no conditions etc. have zero to little risk….so we use them to develop herd…we want them infected…”

On July 24, he wrote to FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn and Caputo: “it may be that it will be best if we open up and flood the zone and let the kids and young folk get infected” as a strategy to get “natural immunity…natural exposure,” an argument that illuminates Trump’s insistence this summer that schools and colleges must open.
0 Replies

Palandre

Fri 18 Dec, 2020 03:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
yep, it is called FASCISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 18 Dec, 2020 08:07 am
A Belgian politician has - apparently accidentally - revealed the Corona vaccine prices of manufacturers with whom the EU Commission has contracts to supply vaccines.

Consumer Protection State Secretary Eva De Bleeker published a table on Twitter on Thursday with prices per dose of vaccines from six companies. The entry was deleted after a short time, but the newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws" published a screenshot.

According to it, the drug of the US company Moderna is the most expensive: it would cost $18 per dose. The U.S. company Johnson & Johnson would charge $8.50. The prices of the other suppliers were in Euros: The vaccine from the Mainz-based company Biontech and its U.S. partner Pfizer would be twelve Euros per dose. The Tübingen company Curevac apparently demands ten Euros, the French of Sanofi 7.56 Euros. By far the cheapest, according to the document, would be the drug from Astrazeneca with only 1.78 Euros per dose.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/dUHJhY0.jpg

Het Laatste Nieuws
farmerman

Fri 18 Dec, 2020 08:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump has cut deliveries of Pfizer vaccine to 5 states, reason??? unknown BUT I wouldnt doubt its something he ginned up to screw up the incoming administration.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 19 Dec, 2020 11:19 am
@farmerman,
According to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, initial findings indicate that the new variant of the coronavirus discovered in Great Britain is significantly more contagious than the known form. But there is no evidence that vaccines are less effective, Johnson told reporters in London. "There is still a lot we don't know. But there's no evidence that the new variant causes more disease or more severe disease." Nor has there been any evidence of higher mortality from the VUI-2020/12/01 variant of the virus, he said.
farmerman

Sat 19 Dec, 2020 07:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So the vaccines have to speed up in mass inoculation.
If it shows up in the US, we will spread it like buttr cause Noone in the US believes facts and evidence.
Glennn

Sun 20 Dec, 2020 08:16 am
@farmerman,
You can relax. I've been doing some studying. We'll start with the video below to see if you can see any similarities between what the CDC & friends did in the past, and what they're doing today. Watch as the CDC man squirms as Wallace forces him to call those who saw the side effects in the study liars.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+60+minutes+swine+flu+1976&docid=607993243050380805&mid=5063CCC1186DAE995CAB5063CCC1186DAE995CAB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
farmerman

Sun 20 Dec, 2020 09:45 am
@Glennn,
speaking of loons. So youve been reading eh?? MAD MAGAZINE??
Glennn

Sun 20 Dec, 2020 09:56 am
@farmerman,
No. I was showing you how the CDC rolls. You think those guys were actors?

EDIT: You must be watching the video, eh? Better late than never . . .
0 Replies