Coronavirus

Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
A $52,112 Helicopter Ride: Coronavirus Patients Battle Surprise Medical Bills
Quote:
An intubated coronavirus patient was declining rapidly when doctors decided to airlift her to a hospital with better critical care resources.

“It’s life or death,” the family of the 60-year-old woman recalled being told when it happened in April. “We have to transfer her now.”

The patient was flown by helicopter from one Philadelphia hospital to another 20 miles away. She spent six weeks at the new hospital and survived. When she came home, a letter arrived: The air ambulance company said she owed $52,112 for the trip.

Last year, Congress abandoned its attempt to prevent surprise bills like this one, and coronavirus patients are now paying the price. Bills submitted to The New York Times show that patients often face surprise charges from out-of-network doctors, ambulances and medical laboratories they did not pick or even realize were involved in their care.

The plan to ban these kinds of bills was popular and bipartisan, and it was backed by the White House. It fell apart at the 11th hour after private-equity firms, which own many of the medical providers that deliver surprise bills, poured millions into advertisements opposing the plan. Committee chairs squabbled over jurisdictional issues and postponed the issue. Then the pandemic struck.

The Pennsylvania patient had no way of knowing that her helicopter, which transported her between two in-network hospitals, did not have a contract with her health insurance plan. Nor could she have known that the air ambulance service, owned by a private-equity firm, faces multiple lawsuits over its billing tactics.

Her health plan, Independence Blue Cross, initially said it would pay $7,539 of the bill, according to billing documents reviewed by The Times, but then rescinded the money. The patient, housebound because of lingering coronavirus symptoms, was left with the full amount.

“She was intubated and on a ventilator when her providers felt it was necessary that she be transferred,” said Leslie Pierce, a division chief at the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, who handled the complaint that the patient submitted to the agency. “She had no decision in the selection process.”
[...]
Surprise medical bills happen when patients receive care from an out-of-network provider they did not choose. These charges are common in certain corners of the health system like the emergency room, where 20 percent of patients are vulnerable to surprise medical bills.

The bills are especially pervasive after ambulance trips: One recent study found that as many as 71 percent of those rides could result in surprise, out-of-network bills.
[...]
Many health insurers have promised to cover plan members’ coronavirus hospital stays in full, another effort to hold patients harmless.

But these protections leave significant gaps, as patients are beginning to find. While many hospitals and doctors received provider relief funds, a number of medical laboratories and ambulance services did not. That leaves those providers free to bill however they’d like.

Insurers’ policies that cover coronavirus hospital stays, meanwhile, sometimes do not include the ambulance ride it took to get there — or follow-up care to treat long-term symptoms.
[...]
Air ambulance bills are often the most costly type of surprise medical bills. Dr. Chhabra found a median charge of more than $38,000, leaving the typical patient responsible for more than $21,000 after the insurance payout. The prices are quickly increasing, too, rising about 15 percent each year since 2015.
[...]
Ground ambulances, another source of surprise bills for coronavirus patients, have also largely escaped billing regulations. California passed legislation in 2017 that barred most types of surprise medical bills, but it excluded ambulances. The congressional deal that nearly passed also did not include ambulances. Legislators may be reluctant to regulate ambulances because many are run by local and municipal governments, which rely on the charges for revenue.
[...]
Air Methods said the document received by the Pennsylvania patient, which stated the “amount due” above a box to write in a credit-card number, was not a bill but rather “an update on where things stood” with her insurance company. The company estimates it has transported 3,300 coronavirus patients over the course of the pandemic, and said that it had a “special process” for handling their billing. ...

The Pennsylvania patient ultimately filed a complaint with the state’s insurance commissioner, Jessica Altman. While Ms. Altman’s office has no authority to regulate air ambulance bills, her staff did make a phone call to the insurer. The situation then resolved quickly. Independence Blue Cross said in a statement that it had already begun reprocessing the claim by the time the regulator called.

The health insurer initially sent the patient documents stating, “You are responsible to pay the amount the provider may bill you.”

Shortly after the regulator’s inquiry, the patient learned the health plan would cover the bill completely.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 14 Oct, 2020 07:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"A finger wag for all those without a mask."

https://i.imgur.com/hNOtQtC.jpg

An ad placed in local papers by the German capital’s senate [Berlin state government] as part of a public information campaign shows an elderly woman presenting her outstretched middle finger to the camera, next to the words: “A finger-wag for all those without a mask: we stick to corona rules.”

In a city that prides itself on its Berliner Schnauze – the coarse-but-hearty “Berlin gob” – public service messaging could not afford to moralise from on high, said a spokesperson for Visit Berlin, the tourism agency that developed the campaign.

The motif with the angry pensioner is part of a broader campaign that launched in September with a series of typographic posters in German, English, Turkish and Arabic, with similarly offhand but slightly less aggressive slogans such as “Mask on. To keep the lights from going off.”
[With material from The Guardian.]
Walter Hinteler

Thu 15 Oct, 2020 12:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The concept of ending the Covid pandemic through herd immunity is "a dangerous fallacy unsupported by scientific evidence", say 80 researchers in a warning letter published by a leading medical journal.

The international signatories of the open letter in the Lancet say the interest in herd immunity comes from "widespread demoralisation and diminishing trust" as a result of restrictions being reimposed in many countries because of surging infections in a second wave.

The Lancet: Scientific consensus on the COVID-19 pandemic: we need to act now
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 21 Oct, 2020 04:37 am

Cooling concerns for first possible COVID-19 vaccine

The race to create safe and effective vaccines against the coronavirus is facing another
complex challenge: how to safely deliver tens of millions of doses to all corners of the
world while ensuring they remain in super cold storage until ready for use.

Just how cold? As in minus 103 Fahrenheit for the first vaccine expected to be given
the green light. That’s nearly four times colder than your home freezer, colder even than
Antarctica in winter.

In a letter Sunday to the Trump administration, the nation’s governors expressed a long
list of concerns, including questions about the supply of ultracold freezers and dry ice
— already experiencing shortages amid nationwide vaccine trials...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 11:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It’s excruciatingly hard to chirp "Get well soon!" to this particular patient.

But since Trump pointed out last week, the virus "affects virtually nobody, and has currently only affected 200,000 American nobodies to death ... it really would be an irony, Wilso.

He was saying that it affects virtually nobody below the age of 18. I'm not sure whether or not that's true, but he didn't mean what you're implying. Here is the actual quotation:

“That’s it. You know, in some states, thousands of people, nobody young. Below the age of 18, like, nobody,” Trump said. “Take your hat off to the young, because they have a hell of an immune system. But it affects virtually nobody. It’s an amazing thing.”

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/517538-trump-claims-covid-19-affects-virtually-no-young-people
engineer

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 12:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
Does it bother you that the President of the United States, with all the resources of the government at his disposal made a statement about the top health risk impacting the country, a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in eight months and you're not sure whether or not it's true?
BillRM

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 01:30 pm
@Brandon9000,
Was you an understudy to Baghdad Bob?
Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 02:14 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Was you an understudy to Baghdad Bob?

Childish. Not an argument.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 02:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Does it bother you that the President of the United States, with all the resources of the government at his disposal made a statement about the top health risk impacting the country, a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans in eight months and you're not sure whether or not it's true?

What statement are you talking about? I am sure and provided proof that the president didn't say that the virus "affects virtually no one," but was talking about people below the age of 18.

All that's going on is that for the past four years liberals have made countless accusations against the president that, if examined, turn out to be nonsense. In this particular case, they took a paragraph and extracted two words out of context to make it seem to mean something quite different than what he said.
engineer

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 02:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
I'm saying the President of the United States had a critical statement about an important issue to the country and by your own statement, you aren't sure if it is true. If Dr. Fauci made a statement about COVID19, I would confidently trust it to represent the facts as best understood by the scientific community. The President has many more resources and a much greater responsibility to communicate it to the public yet you're not sure whether or not it's true. Does it concern you that you're not sure that when the President speaks on such a critical issue that you doubt it?
Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 02:58 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm saying the President of the United States had a critical statement about an important issue to the country and by your own statement, you aren't sure if it is true. If Dr. Fauci made a statement about COVID19, I would confidently trust it to represent the facts as best understood by the scientific community. The President has many more resources and a much greater responsibility to communicate it to the public yet you're not sure whether or not it's true. Does it concern you that you're not sure that when the President speaks on such a critical issue that you doubt it?

A) What Walter Hinteler said was false and it was based on extracting two words from a paragraph to make it seem as though it made something different. I see this crap all the time in liberal attacks on Trump.

And, also:

Joe Biden Mixes Up Jobs Data and Coronavirus Deaths in Latest Gaffe

at

https://nypost.com/2020/05/15/joe-biden-mixes-up-number-of-jobs-lost-coronavirus-deaths/
engineer

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 03:37 pm
@Brandon9000,
You said, looking at the his own words without distortion from anyone else, that you aren't sure what the President said is true. I don't blame you, I don't trust the President to tell us true information either. I trusted Bush to tell it straight. Even when he said Iraq had WMD, I didn't think we needed to invade, but I believed he was accurately relaying what the intelligence community believed. When Obama spoke, I believed him. I'm not talking about the occasional gaffe by either man, I saying when they said what they meant to the nation, I trusted them to say the truth. Does it bother you that you're just not sure if the President of the United States is telling it straight? It does me.
Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 05:39 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You said, looking at the his own words without distortion from anyone else, that you aren't sure what the President said is true. I don't blame you, I don't trust the President to tell us true information either. I trusted Bush to tell it straight. Even when he said Iraq had WMD, I didn't think we needed to invade, but I believed he was accurately relaying what the intelligence community believed. When Obama spoke, I believed him. I'm not talking about the occasional gaffe by either man, I saying when they said what they meant to the nation, I trusted them to say the truth. Does it bother you that you're just not sure if the President of the United States is telling it straight? It does me.

I take it you didn't look at my link showing Biden asserting a bunch of false stuff about the virus?
engineer

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 08:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
Even your own post called that a gaffe, but it really doesn't matter. Does it bother you that you can't trust that what the President says is true?
Brandon9000

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 09:45 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Even your own post called that a gaffe, but it really doesn't matter. Does it bother you that you can't trust that what the President says is true?

Does it bother you that Biden claimed that "Now we have over 120 million dead from COVID?"

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-mistakenly-says-120-million-americans-have-died-coronavirus-1513696

or

"...it's estimated that 200 million people have died -- probably by the time I finish this talk," said Biden at the rally.

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/us-news/joe-biden-makes-another-blunder-claims-200-million-americans-dead.html

I certainly wouldn't rely on anything that comes out of Biden's mouth without checking it.

BTW, I am not sure of lots of medical stuff, just because I'm not a doctor. In fact, Trump was correct about fatality below the age of 18:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105431/covid-case-fatality-rates-us-by-age-group/
engineer

Sat 31 Oct, 2020 09:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Because you can't trust the President, you had to look it up (and Covid19 does affect the young, sometimes very seriously, but not often fatally if it matters to you). Your own words, the President spoke, no gaffe, just repeated a line he used repeatedly and you weren't sure if it was true. Why doesn't that bother you? You keep talking about other people misspeaking to avoid answering the question. Why do they matter at all? Shouldn't you be able to assume the guy you voted for will speak truthfully?
Brandon9000

Sun 1 Nov, 2020 12:04 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Because you can't trust the President, you had to look it up (and Covid19 does affect the young, sometimes very seriously, but not often fatally if it matters to you). Your own words, the President spoke, no gaffe, just repeated a line he used repeatedly and you weren't sure if it was true. Why doesn't that bother you? You keep talking about other people misspeaking to avoid answering the question. Why do they matter at all? Shouldn't you be able to assume the guy you voted for will speak truthfully?

Shouldn't it bother you that your candidate says all sorts of n0nsense that's wrong? If Biden gave a figure, I certainly wouldn't believe it without checking. I believe random figures quoted by Trump more than I believe the same from Biden.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Nov, 2020 12:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
Biden isn’t the president, he doesn’t have presidential access to all the data, Trump does, and you still don’t trust what Trump says.

Btw, I never believed Dubya when he said Saddam had WMDs. I wanted Hans Blix to be given more time.
Brandon9000

Sun 1 Nov, 2020 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Biden isn’t the president, he doesn’t have presidential access to all the data, Trump does, and you still don’t trust what Trump says.

Btw, I never believed Dubya when he said Saddam had WMDs. I wanted Hans Blix to be given more time.

Well, I presume that if Biden became president, all kinds of wrong stuff would continue to come out of his mouth.

Bush didn't say that Saddam had WMDs. He said he strongly suspected that development programs were still extant and that there might even be actual WMDs.
izzythepush

Sun 1 Nov, 2020 02:58 pm
@Brandon9000,
He’s not president. Trump is, you can imagine whatever you want, butyou can’t change facts.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If Biden’s supporters believe what he says he will have done better than Trump. That’s how low Trump has set the bar.
0 Replies