Coronavirus

engineer

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 06:37 am
Losing ground in Texas.

Quote:
Texas on Wednesday set one-day records for increases in COVID-19 deaths and hospitalizations in the state, forcing one county to store bodies in refrigerated trucks and prompting a top health official there to call for new stay-at-home orders.

Texas, which reported 197 deaths and 10,893 hospitalizations, has been one of the states hardest hit by the resurgent coronavirus. Hidalgo County, at the southern tip of the state on the U.S. border with Mexico, has seen cases rise 60 percent in the last week, according to a Reuters tally, with deaths doubling to more than 360.

“We’ve got to lasso this virus, this stallion, bring the numbers back down and get control of this thing,” Hidalgo County Judge Richard Cortez said. “Because our hospitals – they’re war zones, they are really struggling right now.”
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 23 Jul, 2020 06:38 am
If you want an interesting read, start at the beginning of this thread and read forward. This thread started with the first US cases.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jul, 2020 10:36 am
Without a host, viruses are nothing. The Sars-CoV-2 coronavirus has been known to harbour humans for some time. In order to multiply, it hijacks the cells of our body and introduces its genetic material. Using the genetic blueprint, the body cell then produces virus copies. Without this mechanism, the virus perishes.

Researchers at the University of Texas have now decoded the three-dimensional structure of a viral enzyme. It enables the pathogen to evade the immune system when entering the body cells. The scientists hope that the new findings will help them to find effective drugs against the virus, they report in the journal "Nature Communications".

Structural basis of RNA cap modification by SARS-CoV-2
Quote:
Abstract
The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2), the causative agent of COVID-19 illness, has caused millions of infections worldwide. In SARS coronaviruses, the non-structural protein 16 (nsp16), in conjunction with nsp10, methylates the 5′-end of virally encoded mRNAs to mimic cellular mRNAs, thus protecting the virus from host innate immune restriction. We report here the high-resolution structure of a ternary complex of SARS-CoV-2 nsp16 and nsp10 in the presence of cognate RNA substrate analogue and methyl donor, S-adenosyl methionine (SAM). The nsp16/nsp10 heterodimer is captured in the act of 2′-O methylation of the ribose sugar of the first nucleotide of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA. We observe large conformational changes associated with substrate binding as the enzyme transitions from a binary to a ternary state. This induced fit model provides mechanistic insights into the 2′-O methylation of the viral mRNA cap. We also discover a distant (25 Å) ligand-binding site unique to SARS-CoV-2, which can alternatively be targeted, in addition to RNA cap and SAM pockets, for antiviral development.
... ... ... ... ...
roger

Fri 24 Jul, 2020 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Structural basis of RNA cap modification by SARS-CoV-2
Quote:
Abstract
The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2), the causative agent of COVID-19 illness, has caused millions of infections worldwide. In SARS coronaviruses, the non-structural protein 16 (nsp16), in conjunction with nsp10, methylates the 5′-end of virally encoded mRNAs to mimic cellular mRNAs, thus protecting the virus from host innate immune restriction. We report here the high-resolution structure of a ternary complex of SARS-CoV-2 nsp16 and nsp10 in the presence of cognate RNA substrate analogue and methyl donor, S-adenosyl methionine (SAM). The nsp16/nsp10 heterodimer is captured in the act of 2′-O methylation of the ribose sugar of the first nucleotide of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA. We observe large conformational changes associated with substrate binding as the enzyme transitions from a binary to a ternary state. This induced fit model provides mechanistic insights into the 2′-O methylation of the viral mRNA cap. We also discover a distant (25 Å) ligand-binding site unique to SARS-CoV-2, which can alternatively be targeted, in addition to RNA cap and SAM pockets, for antiviral development.
... ... ... ... ...

I have often lost sleep, just wondering about that.
0 Replies

Palandre

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 11:02 am
And to think there isn't even a covid-19 virus.
But eh! It can be used to get an enormous amount of government control.

Chilling, to say the least!!

And of course there is a 2nd wave coming. How do we know this?
Simple, it is p l a n n e d!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 11:29 am

Child hospitalizations from Covid-19 surge 23% in Florida

Just weeks before schools must open across Florida, the numbers of new cases and
hospitalizations due to Covid-19 have surged.

On July 16, the state had a total of 23,170 children ages 17 and under who had tested
positive since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the Florida Department of
Health. By July 24, that number jumped to 31,150.

That's a 34% increase in new cases among children in eight days.

And more children in Florida are requiring hospitalization. As of July 16, 246 children
had been hospitalized with coronavirus. By July 24, that number had jumped to 303.

That's a 23% increase in child Covid-19 hospitalizations in eight days.
Palandre

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 11:50 am
@Region Philbis,
"Child hospitalizations from Covid-19 surge 23% in Florida"

Really? How de we know? The numbers are extremely manipulated and the test is 80% unreliable.

It really is a p l a n d e m i ic.
roger

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 12:48 pm
@Palandre,
Bet you can tell us what really happened on 9/11, too.
Palandre

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 12:53 pm
@roger,
do you?
roger

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 12:55 pm
@Palandre,
How much would I bet? Depends on my perception of your integrity.
Palandre

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 08:02 pm
@roger,
so?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Wilso

Mon 27 Jul, 2020 11:05 pm
@Palandre,
Goodbye
Palandre

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 02:16 am
@Wilso,
I am sorry? Why?

I only want to see the evidence that the covd-19 virus was isolated and purified.
Until then, it is all a hoax, a scandemic, a plandemic.
BillRM

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 02:33 am
@Palandre,
Palandre wrote:

I am sorry? Why?

I only want to see the evidence that the covd-19 virus was isolated and purified.
Until then, it is all a hoax, a scandemic, a plandemic.

Lord not even an amusing internet nut case an only by being interesting can you get always with such nonsense and you are not amusing.

byby.......
Palandre

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:10 am
@BillRM,
"Lord not even an amusing internet nut case an only by being interesting can you get always with such nonsense and you are not amusing.

byby......."

nonsense? not amusing? Do you even understand what I am saying?
Can you explain?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 05:42 am

Viral video making false coronavirus claims gets removed from social media

A video featuring a group of doctors making false and dubious claims related to the coronavirus was removed by
Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube after going viral online Monday.

The video, published by the right-wing media outlet Breitbart News, featured a group of people wearing lab coats
calling themselves "America's Frontline Doctors" staging a press conference in front of the US Supreme Court in DC.

President Trump shared multiple versions of the video with his 84 million Twitter followers Monday
night despite the dubious claims running counter to his administration's own public health experts
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 06:25 am
@BillRM,
I had a crazy conversation with a friend of mine who was convinced the Earth was not round. Really. And Antarctica is surrounded by a impenetrable wall. And the sun is a lot closer and smaller. I went through the various proofs you can do yourself to show the Earth is round and explained some of the science, but in the end, I got down to "you know that people can pay to vacation in Antarctica, right?" He said he couldn't afford it but I countered with there are a lot of people who would have to be complicit in this conspiracy theory including a lot who have radically different agendas. That got to him. Why would Iran maintain a conspiracy that the US was pushing? Or North Korea? Or rich people or businesses in countries around the world? The fundamental problem with a lot of these conspiracy theories is there are a lot of people all around the world who have to be complicit to support them and that's not very likely.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:27 am

Anthony Fauci denies Trump claim that he misled US public about coronavirus
Quote:
• Health expert says ‘I will just continue to do my job’
• Sinclair TV network pulls segment on Fauci conspiracy theory

Dr Anthony Fauci insisted on Tuesday he had “not been misleading the American public under any circumstances” – countering a claim by Donald Trump that he had.

The director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases has become a trusted public voice on the coronavirus pandemic.

He was speaking the morning after Sinclair, an influential broadcaster with links to the US president, dropped an interview on a widely syndicated TV show in which the researcher behind the Plandemic conspiracy theory claimed Fauci made the coronavirus and sent it to Wuhan, China.

Also on Monday night, Trump retweeted a series of controversial claims about the pandemic, including a claim on a podcast hosted by the former White House counselor Steve Bannon that Fauci “misled the American public on many issues”.

Asked about the tweets on ABC News’ Good Morning America, Fauci said: “I don’t tweet, I don’t even read them. I don’t really want to go there. I just will continue to do my job, no matter what comes out, because I think it’s very important.”

Fauci, 79, has served six presidents since 1984. He has nonetheless been criticized and marginalized by Trump.

“We’re in the middle of a crisis with regard to a pandemic,” Fauci said. “This is what I do. This is what I’ve been trained for my entire professional life and I’ll continue to do it.

“I have not been misleading the American public under any circumstances.”

Fauci also rejected Trump’s continued support for the use of an anti-malarial drug, hydroxychloroquine, and other unproven treatments for Covid-19.

On Monday night, Trump retweeted a complaint about YouTube, Facebook and Twitter’s decision to ban a viral video from the far-right Breitbart News in which people claiming to be doctors made unsubstantiated claims about supposed cures for the virus.

“The overwhelming prevailing clinical trials that have looked at the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine have indicated that it is not effective in coronavirus disease,” Fauci said.

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, the US has recorded nearly 4.3m cases of Covid-19 and nearly 150,000 people have died. Cases have surged in southern and western states which sought to reopen their economies in May.

The interview dropped by Sinclair was between Eric Bolling, a former Fox News host, and Judy Mikovits. The broadcaster originally postponed it after segments were posted online.

“Upon further review, we have decided not to air the interview with Dr Mikovits,” Sinclair said on Monday. “Although the segment did include an expert to dispute Dr Mikovits, given the nature of the theories she presented we believe it is not appropriate to air the interview.”

Sinclair owns TV stations across the US. Its chairman, David D Smith, has said that in 2016 he told Trump: “We are here to deliver your message.”

Sinclair said it reiterated its “appreciation for all that Dr Fauci and his team have accomplished for the health and wellbeing of Americans and people worldwide.

“During this pandemic, Sinclair and its affiliates have positively and prominently featured Dr Fauci on air … there remains an open invite for Dr Fauci to appear on our stations any time.”

Bolling, who interviewed Mikovits and lawyer Larry Klayman – described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as “a pathologically litigious attorney and professional gadfly” – said he had challenged the claim about Fauci on air and added an opposing voice, Dr Nicole Saphier, for balance.

Saphier, a Fox News contributor, said it was “highly unlikely” Fauci made the coronavirus but also said it was possible the virus was made in a laboratory. Trump allies have pushed that claim in attempting to blame China for America’s plight. Experts agree the virus originated in a wet market, where wild animals are sold for food.

Trump’s relationship with Fauci has been a source of constant speculation and fascination. The New York Times reported Monday that Trump was so angered by Fauci being invited to throw out a pitch by the Washington Nationals baseball team that he claimed to have been invited to do the same by the New York Yankees.

No such invitation had been made, leading aides to scramble to save face.
0 Replies

George

Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:53 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
. . . The fundamental problem with a lot of these conspiracy theories is
there are a lot of people all around the world who have to be complicit to
support them and that's not very likely.

Sure, that's what they WANT you to believe.