Coronavirus

BillRM

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

There has been a dramatic rise in threats to and assaults on Asians in Vancouver. Of course, to the racist, Koreans and Japanese are indistinguishable from Chinese. Community leaders in the city complain of vandalism to buildings in Chinatown. This report is from a week ago. I bring this up now, because of a story on CBC radio that it has gotten even worse in the last week.

An here I been under the impression that Canadians on the whole are both brighter an more civilize then my fellow Americans.
Joeblow

Sat 23 May, 2020 05:04 am
@Setanta,
Pathetic state of affairs
0 Replies

Joeblow

Sat 23 May, 2020 05:05 am
@BillRM,
Huh.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 23 May, 2020 05:25 am
@Joeblow,
In Germany, religious gatherings have been permitted again since 1 May, subject to conditions. In churches and other places of worship, for example, the minimum distance of 1.50 metres between all people must be maintained.
In Frankfurt, Hesse, dozens of visitors of a service in a German-Russian Baptist church are infected, six already in hospital.

Recently, catering inside of restaurants and cafés has also been permitted again in most federal states.
In Leer, Lower Saxony, several people have become infected when visiting a restaurant, and ten dozens of people there now have to be quarantined because several guests.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 05:49 am
@Setanta,
I'm very sorry to hear that. I did consulting work in Montreal and stayed in Canada for extended stays in Moncton and Toronto, we had business partners in Toronto. I always felt Canadians were a more nonviolent version of Americans. I'm shocked they are seeming to have been infected with US violence.
cherrie

Sat 23 May, 2020 06:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
We've had a few instances of violence against Asians here in Australia as well since this all started.

It's pretty sad and disappointing that individuals could be blamed for what's happening.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 06:10 am
@cherrie,
I expect this kind of crap here. I'm sorry to hear about it in Australia which has a higher percentage of Asians than does the US. The world is losing its collective mind.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 07:01 am

Ali Velshi ✔@AliVelshi

73% of adults say Trump should be suspended or banned from social media for spreading conspiracy theories about coronavirus, per @MorningConsult. NBC’s @oneunderscore__ joins me 8aET to explain why rules against sharing false info online aren’t stopping the president. #velshi

7:10 AM - May 23, 2020
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 10:00 am
She Beat COVID-19 After Taking trump's 'Miracle Drug'. Now She's Got Heart Trouble.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/she-beat-covid-19-after-taking-trumps-miracle-drug-now-shes-got-heart-trouble

When Wendy Lanski tested positive for COVID-19 in March, her doctors did what many physicians recommended. They prescribed her hydroxychloroquine and an antibiotic. Lanski has finally recovered from the disease, but now she’s on a heart monitor for a rapid heart rate that developed soon after she left the hospital.

“I've asked every doctor under the sun—pulmonary cardiologists, internists—is it the COVID or is it the drug? And you know, nobody knows the answer.”

In Lanski’s specific case, she might not ever know what’s behind her recent heart troubles. But for everyone else worried about whether or not it makes sense to risk taking the drug, there’s increasing clarity. A new study from The Lancet of COVID-19 patients who were prescribed hydroxychloroquine shows an increased risk of death and cardiac troubles, and no improvement from the symptoms of COVID-19.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 10:05 am
A hairstylist worked while symptomatic and exposed 91 people to coronavirus
Source: CNN

A hairstylist with coronavirus worked for eight days this month while symptomatic, exposing as many as 91 customers and coworkers in Missouri, health officials said.

The case highlights the threats of community spread in the United States as businesses reopen after weeks of restrictions to combat the spread of coronavirus.

In this instance, the 84 customers exposed got services from the hairstylist at Great Clips, said Clay Goddard, director of the Springfield-Greene County Health Department. In addition to the customers, seven coworkers were also notified of exposure.

It's unclear when the stylist tested positive but the infection is believed to have happened while traveling. The stylist worked May 12 through Wednesday, health officials said Friday. At the time, businesses such as barbershops and hair salons were allowed to operate in the state.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/missouri-hairstylist-coronavirus-trnd/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2020-05-23T12%3A29%3A01&utm_term=link
tsarstepan

Sat 23 May, 2020 10:23 am
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/861139625/fear-of-public-restrooms-prompts-creative-solutions-as-some-businesses-reopen
Quote:
Toilet paper has been an issue since the start of the pandemic, but now toilets themselves are the concern. As stay-at-home restrictions are lifting, many are feeling a long pent-up urge to go out, but what's stopping some is concern about their urge to go while they're out.

As in, use the bathroom.

#socialpisstancing
bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 10:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Its why I don't go camping longer than two days. I don't want to poop where the bears poop.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 23 May, 2020 11:31 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The Yellow Peril was very common on the west coast of the United States in particular (Canada, too) and the entire country in general. The Chinese Exclusion Act, 1882, in fact, simply exacerbated the alleged "problem." Unable to bring in Chinese labor, labor recruiters just signed up Japanese and Korean labor. (They hadn't discovered Mexican and other Hispanic sources of cheap labor yet.)
bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:16 pm
@Setanta,
Did Canada ever use legislation to exclude Asians? The thing that struck me about the time I was in Canada was that it seemed to have more nationalities represented than the US did.
chai2

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:27 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

A hairstylist worked while symptomatic and exposed 91 people to coronavirus
Source: CNN

I got my hair cut yesterday. It was long overdue.
Both of us wore masks. It was a simplified procedure. No wash, no styling, no converstion besides what was necessary.
Both of us washed hands before and after too. She bought more of the capes you wear for a cut, and each one is used once before getting tossed into the laundry basket. She wore gloves.
She had immediately when I got there asked me how I was feeling, if I had any symptoms.
She's a sole owner of a little shop, and has chosen to cut back on appointments so there are never 2 customers present, and she's not doing anything besides cuts.

I know this is subjective, but I've known this woman for years now, and is no fool. I felt as safe as I could possibly be.
chai2

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:35 pm
@chai2,
Oh Jesus.

I just saw that this incident with the contagious hair stylist happened at Great Clips.

What do you expect at a clip joint like that?

Those places are the puppy mills of hair stylists.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Canada first imposed almost prohibitive fees on Chinese, $50 in 1885, and when that did not sufficiently deter them, they boosted that to $100 in 1900, and finally to $500 in 1903 (equivalent to almost $10,000 in today's money). They passed their own version of a Chinese exclusion act in 1923. These head taxes meant that poor families in China could not afford to send their daughters to Canada to seek a husband, or to marry if that had already been arranged.

There are no more nationalities in Canada than in the U.S. One could argue that Canada has attempted to pay for their sins. However, they have not repaid the head tax, and Canadian courts have effectively said they don't have to. More recently, people on the west coast have complained that the now affluent Chinese have driven up property values in British Columbia. The Canadians ain't no saints.
roger

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:49 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We could learn from Germany's experience - but we won't.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 23 May, 2020 12:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/23/861139625/fear-of-public-restrooms-prompts-creative-solutions-as-some-businesses-reopen
Quote:
Toilet paper has been an issue since the start of the pandemic, but now toilets themselves are the concern. As stay-at-home restrictions are lifting, many are feeling a long pent-up urge to go out, but what's stopping some is concern about their urge to go while they're out.

As in, use the bathroom.

#socialpisstancing

Shu Sanatani, a pediatric cardiologist in Vancouver, Canada, never used to think twice before going for his usual two- to three-hour run. Now, every time he heads out, he becomes kind of obsessed.

If you feel you need to go for a 2 or 3 hour run, you've got more to be obsessed about than finding a bathroom.

Those female urinal funnels? At one point I happened upon a box of them, and was able to buy them dirt cheap, so I sold them individually on ebay.
They looked like a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I don't know what to tell healthy people who can't go out for 2 hours without needing to piss. And let's not get into the "think of the children" thing.

To that woman moving across the country? Buy a box of Depends. Seriously. Long distance travel is all about comfort, loose sweatpants and if necessary, pulling over in a isolated stretch of road and dropping trou on the side of the car not facing oncoming traffic, and making sure the ground slopes away from your shoes.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 23 May, 2020 01:23 pm
@chai2,
Weighing risks seems to be a very important aspect to the "reopening". Puts a new spin on conscious living. I held a art class this last Monday, the first in three months. We sat 6' apart wore masks and gloves, sanitized the tables before and after, threw away the table coverings (I try to recycle them otherwise).

We need to find a way to live with the virus while being able to avoid it.