Bush Speaks Tonight From Fort Bragg- Oooh-Rah!

PDiddie

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:23 pm
Gosh, maybe it's just time for an avatar change, Captain.

You could always re-use the mouse-clit...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
With all the bashing our troops are taking from the elite crowd, it will be a good moral booster for the troops to see the Cmdr in Chief.

I may joke about "overs and unders" but it is important for the troops and the nation. This is a critical point in the process and I will be interested to hear what he will say.

i keep hearing and reading this, but i never really seem to hear anyone bash the troops. nobody i know does.

i know and hear plenty of people bash bush, but that's not bashing the troops.

don't you think that a better moral booster would be getting the troops the stuff they need and having enough guys to get the job done properly so they can get the hell out of the stinkin' desert ?

Would you consider calling the troops dense, stupid and puppets bashing?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
Why are the not-so-close-to-the-centre, and the right-of-centres so fussy tonight? The message didn't work? They recognized that the message won't sell? Gotchies riding up?

Something's definitely not well in the land of the right hand of God.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
Everything is not about Bush. I didn't even watch the speech. No matter what night CI chooses to bash the men and women in US military service, it is just as distasteful as it was when he did it tonight.

Insulting them is on a different plane than politics.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
Who called the troops dense, stupid and puppets? Where?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
Lash wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
woiyo wrote:
With all the bashing our troops are taking from the elite crowd, it will be a good moral booster for the troops to see the Cmdr in Chief.

I may joke about "overs and unders" but it is important for the troops and the nation. This is a critical point in the process and I will be interested to hear what he will say.

i keep hearing and reading this, but i never really seem to hear anyone bash the troops. nobody i know does.

i know and hear plenty of people bash bush, but that's not bashing the troops.

don't you think that a better moral booster would be getting the troops the stuff they need and having enough guys to get the job done properly so they can get the hell out of the stinkin' desert ?

Would you consider calling the troops dense, stupid and puppets bashing?

when have i done that ? since i don't think that, it doesn't seem logical that i would say it ...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
The Betting Lines are in

OVER/UNDER - 10
How many times will GW say.."THIS IS HARD WORK"

OVER/UNDER - 4

Number of times GW refers to EVIL DOERS

OVER/UNDER - 6

Number of times GW says .."STAY THE COURSE"

OVER/UNDER - 3

Number of times GW says "STAY TIOLL THE JOB IS DONE"

Looks like you won the quadfecta if you took the over on all of them...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:51 pm
Link
"Dense" in one a few pages preceding the link, "puppets" in the one I linked.

It's not the end of the world, but it can no longer be said that no one here has bashed the troops.

Didn't intend in any way to suggest you had said something like that, DTOM. I wouldn't think you would.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
mmmmmhmmmm

dense in the "crowded/packed" room reference

that is danged offensive

The whole puppets exchange is even better. And the whole exchange has to be read to appreciated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
You take it as you wish.

Everyone has that right.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
For those of us who missed the speech, here is a transcript.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1517091,00.html

Man, these folks are never going to quit milking the 9/11 tragedy for their own ends. Talk about low.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:05 pm
Wasn't it specifically about the audience, though? There have been plenty of insults levied at adoring, pre-screened, no-bad-bumperstickers Bush audiences, sure.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:07 pm
Do you know who the audience was?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:07 pm
How appropriate that he made the speech from Fort Bragg.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:08 pm
The audience was supposed to be the c.i, dys and set of today.
Who knows who it turned out to be.

and pre-screened is pre-screened
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:11 pm
We most likely ALL have family and friends who have served.

It was a military audience. Possibly 100%.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:12 pm
You spelled it wrong. HOOAH!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:16 pm
If I insult the intelligence of the audience of "Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People"*, I'm insulting them because they are going to a stupid movie. If it turns out that it was a nurse's convention, I am insulting people who happen to be nurses, but I'm not insulting them because they're nurses.

(Note, the point there is not that the nurses are stupid either, maybe they just love cheesy movies, the point is that their nursedom is incidental, it's not WHY they're being insulted.)

Anyway, for the record, I support the troops and hope that they can come home safe and sound soon.

*Random title, first thing I came up with when I Googled "Bad movies."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:41 pm
I posted this on another thread, but here seems the right place...

This is the first Bush speech I have watched top to bottom. My interest was particular...what is Rove going to do in this unique, for him, situation?

The entire exercise was confoundingly unimpressive. Even Rich Lowry of the National Review, speaking afterwards, had trouble coming up with anything positive to say.

The speech contained nothing which might seem likely to move Bush's stats in any significant way, certainly not for more than a day or two if that. The same storyline was advanced again (9/11 mentioned 6 or 7 times, threat of attack on America mentioned 10 or 12 times, the predicable tie in between Iraq and 9/11 and terrorism). But this is the story that the public is increasingly finding unconvincing or even deceitful (by more than 50%).

'We must stay the course' seemed to be the central message, but that rationale or policy is also failing to convince, or at least that Bush and his administration now seem to be an undependable representatives regarding Iraq policy overall.

Even the camera work during the speech was unusually maladroit...poor angles, few faces, and often picking up soldiers seeming to be more interested in brushing lint from their jackets or looking about. Quite odd indeed, particularly compared with the last important big outing (with Laura and the Iraqi mother) where everything seem scripted to a fine T.

It may have been an attempt to forget the rest of us and motivate his base. If so, we'll read enthused statements on this thread tomorrow. But I doubt that too. The whole thing was simply too flat and uninspiring.

Very odd.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:57 pm
I took the setting as a bash on Bush, not our troops. He / Rove made the strategic decision to air the speech from Bragg. I doubt anyone here believes those in attendance had a choice. When the Commander in Chief comes to your base for an internationally aired speech, you can't have any seats empty. It's not the soldiers, it was the political staging by the administration that turns stomachs.

I didn't hear anything new or unexpected. Local news interviewed family on the base this afternoon before the speech and the majority were asking for their husbands to come home, for Bush to have an exit time and for Bush to stop pretending the war in Iraq is about 9/11.

Sounds like they get it.
0 Replies