Bush Speaks Tonight From Fort Bragg- Oooh-Rah!

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
President Bush is scheduled to address us this evening from Fort Bragg, NC. With the military backdrop and soldiers surrounding him, I can hardly wait to hear what he has to say.

I'm opening this thread to discuss what he is expected to say, and afterwards, what he actually said.

Since we have a few hours until the pundits start telling us what to think and expect, we can talk about this while we wait...

Quote:
Source

Think we'll get any of the above questions answered tonight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,945 • Replies: 277
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:01 am
good night to rent a movie IMHO
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:04 pm
The Betting Lines are in

OVER/UNDER - 10
How many times will GW say.."THIS IS HARD WORK"

OVER/UNDER - 4

Number of times GW refers to EVIL DOERS

OVER/UNDER - 6

Number of times GW says .."STAY THE COURSE"

OVER/UNDER - 3

Number of times GW says "STAY TIOLL THE JOB IS DONE"
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:25 pm
Wish I was a betting woman. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:31 pm
Ever wonder why he says, "This is hard work" so often? You know the co-workers who always tell you how hard they're working? They tend not to be the biggest producers, but they sure want you to think so!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:37 pm
What about the phrase "those that hate freedom."

In any event I am with BVT, only I am going to read a nice big juicy Johanna Lindsey novel instead.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:46 pm
I hope we can expect to hear nothing from either of you regarding Bush's speech tomorrow then.

I am interested to see what he has to say.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:51 pm
It can be safely assumed that the speech is a PR effort to rekindle support for Operation Iraqi Freedom on the first anniversary of the "handoff" to our Iraqis.

Reagan was able to pull off these non-newsworthy appearances, but Bush, much as he'd like to, can't match the showmanship...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
it's interesting that bush rarely, if ever, just sits at the oval office desk and speaks to the nation.

i expect it will be another big karl rove production. tons of flags, adoring troops, huge outbreaks of appreciative applause (right on cue). if it's anything like the previous photo-ops you'll hear the cheerleaders giving cue-up claps and punctuated "yeah!"s and whooops.

probably tivo it and watch it with the missus. she gets great amusement from watching me yell at the t.v.
Very Happy
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:15 pm
With all the bashing our troops are taking from the elite crowd, it will be a good moral booster for the troops to see the Cmdr in Chief.

I may joke about "overs and unders" but it is important for the troops and the nation. This is a critical point in the process and I will be interested to hear what he will say.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I hope we can expect to hear nothing from either of you regarding Bush's speech tomorrow then.

Ever hear of transcripts, much more reliable.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:25 pm
woiyo wrote:
With all the bashing our troops are taking from the elite crowd, it will be a good moral booster for the troops to see the Cmdr in Chief.

I may joke about "overs and unders" but it is important for the troops and the nation. This is a critical point in the process and I will be interested to hear what he will say.

i keep hearing and reading this, but i never really seem to hear anyone bash the troops. nobody i know does.

i know and hear plenty of people bash bush, but that's not bashing the troops.

don't you think that a better moral booster would be getting the troops the stuff they need and having enough guys to get the job done properly so they can get the hell out of the stinkin' desert ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:45 pm
I am sure the troops would agree that a realistic exit strategy would sure be nice to hear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Abandon hope Captain Underpants, or stop provoking me. You're a slow learner. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:57 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I am sure the troops would agree that a realistic exit strategy would sure be nice to hear.

I'm not expecting to hear an exit strategy any time soon. After all we still have troops in Germany and S. Korea. Those wars were over 50 years ago.

We still have troops in Bosnia and that was in the late 90's. Is it only ok to have troops were you approve?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
Who is bashing the troops? I have relatives in Iraq (medical, non-military) and they tell me the troops are bashing Bush. They don't say it to the cameras out of respect for the office, but behind the scenes there is a lot of anger and resentment about being thrown over there without good cause.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:42 pm
Green Witch wrote:
...but behind the scenes there is a lot of anger and resentment about being thrown over there without good cause.

Whether it was a correct judgement or not, the "cause," as has been often stated by Bush, was deep concern about what would happen should Hussein be secretly continuing with WMD development. Even if you don't agree with Bush's calculus on the subject, it was out of concern for our safety.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:44 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
...but behind the scenes there is a lot of anger and resentment about being thrown over there without good cause.

Whether it was a correct judgement or not, the "cause," as has been often stated by Bush, was deep concern about what would happen should Hussein be secretly continuing with WMD development. Even if you don't agree with Bush's calculus on the subject, it was out of concern for our safety.

Nup. I suspect the troops have worked out the REAL reason they're there and they don't like it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:49 pm
So is anyone looking for Osama bin Laden these days?

The leader of the guys that actually attacked the U.S., remember him?

Any mention of the OBL search in the speech tonight?

Nothing in the transcripts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:18 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Abandon hope Captain Underpants, or stop provoking me. You're a slow learner. Laughing Laughing

Grow up.
0 Replies