Why the Female Doctor Who is a flop.

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:37 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Pretty sure people watch Dr. Who for entertainment, not as a replacement for science class.

The current season is being written as a replacement for civics class.

It is failing at storytelling (something at which the series has often excelled). That is the point of this thread.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:43 am
@maxdancona,
I have no stake in Dr. Who. It has it's place in Sci-Fi like Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, etc. They have all been preachy at one time or another.

I don't think Dr. Who has ever had the reputation of having amazing writing though. I think that is part of its schtick.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:46 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I don't think Dr. Who has ever had the reputation of having amazing writing though.

I strongly disagree.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 10:02 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

But people might mistakenly think that the swirling mount of garbage depicted in the Indian ocean is real.

And why would that be a bad thing?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 01:15 pm
@Sturgis,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't know if Flea Market is the right term, they tend to be permanent.

I'm talking ****. There is a flea market I go to in the same neck of the woods. It's even called a Flea Market. I'm going there with my mate a week Sunday.

It's a lot bigger than the car boot. It costs a lot more to get in and is full of serious people as opposed to someone downsizing for a move or getting rid of their parents stuff. Also you don't get cheap grocery items, like food close to sell by dates.

http://www.sheptonflea.com/

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

But people might mistakenly think that the swirling mount of garbage depicted in the Indian ocean is real.

And why would that be a bad thing?

Because facts matter ( and the red ribbon goes to you for letting me make that point).

If Doctor Who is going to make a claim to be socially relevant then they had damned well better be responsible in getting their socially relevant facts right. If they aren't making this claim... then they have no excuse for such dismally poor writing.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 02:05 am
@maxdancona,
Doctor Who is not a factual programme, it's not set on this Earth.

Your reasoning is pretty bankrupt, you get very angry at the suggestion that the environmental problems facing the planet might be exaggerated, whilst being completely happy with the ostrich like behaviour and outright denial of your president.

You can't point out any real problems with people acting if global warming is exaggerated but I can give you a big list about the problems caused by denial: Icecaps melting, fish/coral dying, desertification, loss of arable land, starvation and war, just to name a few off the top of my head.

You are so full of it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 06:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
There are plenty of examples of well-written shows with gay characters that I enjoy quite well; I am currently hooked on The Magicians for example. Shows with great writing have realistic characters that belong; their sexuality flows naturally within the narrative.

I've seen the first three seasons. I missed the beginning of the fourth season when it came out, so haven't seen that (or any subsequent seasons, if there are any). It's on my long-range to-do list.

I like the obvious Narnia influences.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 06:17 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I like the obvious Narnia influences.

Well... they kind of rip apart Narnia... turning C.S. Lewis into a pedophile was a little harsh.
oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 06:21 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't see it as being Narnia. I saw it more as being inspired by Narnia. But I haven't really given this a lot of thought.

It seems to me though that while the Narnia similarities are pretty blatant, they have also departed pretty significantly from the Narnia universe. They didn't just take Narnia and slap a different name on it.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 07:06 am
@oralloy,
I grew up loving Narnia. They very clearly had Narnia in mind. The first scene with ghosts where they realize that the author was a pedophile made me cringe.

That being said, the characters are very well written.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 07:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I grew up loving Narnia.

Yet you know nothing of it. Try educating yourself for once.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Vmg5u7lRL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sorry, forget that, it's a serious academic study. I was forgetting how much you struggled with Shakespeare, it will shoot right over your head. You'll get stuck asking why the Sun and Moon are planets and Earth is not, unable to progress any further.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Yet you know nothing of it. Try educating yourself for once.

You are adorable Izzy. Have a Jelly Baby.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 07:29 am
@maxdancona,
And you're starting to sound like Oralloy.

Have a word with yourself.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 10:22 am
Having featured two stand out seasons from Troughton and Pertwee, I thought I'd do the same with Tom Baker. It's not as easy as I thought. The first season threw out all the stops with UNIT, Sontarans, Daleks and the first appearance of the Cybermen since Troughton. It also introduced Davros in the episode voted Number 1 by readers of Dr Who magazine.

Unfortunately they'd used up all their good cards, having said that the next season was pretty good. The Seeds of Death and Pyramids of Mars were exceptional but after that, and with the departure of Sarah Jane Smith things went into a bit of a decline.

The last really good Tom Baker adventure was The Talons of Weng Chiang, after that the writing did drop off.

I don't know how Max can slag off the current writing and wax lyrical about all of Tom Baker's episodes. Season 16 which featured Mary Tamm as the first incarnation of Romana was pretty dire, The Androids of Tara being particularly bad.

The current writers are significantly better than those the wrote that season, or any of the episodes with Colin Baker while we're at it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually The Pirate Planet was a good episode but only because it was written by Douglas Adams.

The rest were all a bit cheesy, Androids of Tara being a prime example of lazy writing, ripped off from The Prisoner of Zenda.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2020 08:06 pm
I have yet to see a poll, in the UK or in the States, that doesn't put Tom Baker ahead of Troughton. The ratings under Tom Baker soared.

My daughter claims that Matt Smith is a better Doctor than Tom Baker. She is mistaken, of course, but I still love her.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 01:58 am
@maxdancona,
That's no answer, it's populism. It was a poorly written season and all you have are polls.

Talking to you is just like talking to Oralloy, you don't/can't understand where you're wrong so you keep repeating yourself ad nauseam.

I responded to what you said about bad writing. Your response was irrelevant, but shows you don't understand simple questions, like Oralloy.

To address your nonsensical point. Polls mean nothing, Tom Baker's popularity has more to do with the number of episodes he was in, the use of colour and the fact that so many Troughton/Hartnell episodes were wiped.

I have said this quite a few times but you're incapable of understanding.

Matt Smith based his Doctor on Troughton. Your daughter has some sense even if you don't.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 02:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The ratings under Tom Baker soared.

Because that's when it was sold to America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 02:16 am
@izzythepush,
You cannot provide any examples of me being wrong.

You cannot provide any examples of me failing to understand something.

You cannot provide any examples of Max being wrong.

You cannot provide any examples of Max failing to understand something.