Why the Female Doctor Who is a flop.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 05:37 am
@eurocelticyankee,
In more ways than one. The president of Earth is a woman which doesn't seem like a big deal now, but this was before Thatcher became PM.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 07:45 pm
Here is this weeks review. Episode 6: Praxeus.

Well ****! After last weeks uncommonly well written episode (which left me feeling hopeful) they give us another sermon thinly wrapped around a poorly written turd of a story. Spoilers below

This week's plot

An alien race (that looks perfectly human) is plagued by a bacteria that eats plastic and causes people to explode. They crash the alien ship on Earth to help find a cure for their race because "humans are full of micro-plastics" (the lesson of the day). The doctor meets a gay astronaut who is infected, his emotionally stunted husband and a stereotypical Asian scientist.

Yaz teleports herself with a bisexual self-obsessed reality travel show star (who keeps whining that no one with the Doctor has seen her on TV) to the crash site at the bottom of the Indian ocean. The doctor realized it is behind one of the plastic "gyres".

The Doctor figures out that stereotypical Asian scientist is actually one of the Aliens. She finds a cure, only for humans. The emotionally stunted husband takes off to deliver the cure and is saved by the Doctor at the last minute. This leads to the most completely contrived gay kiss I have ever seen.

... this leads us to Diversity Bingo!

If you have squares marked "gay astronaut" or "Afro-Latina" you can mark them off. Gay kiss has already been marked, as has stereotypical Asian scientist.

1. I was intrigued for about the first 6 minutes. The suspense, especially with the birds, was enjoyable until I figured out there was nothing there. The show was good for probably 4 of those minutes.

2. The story was awfully written with no meaningful plot. The bacteria is intelligent, but they don't do anything with that. This bacteria made no sense except as a hack plot device leading to the sermon of the day... plastics are bad. The birds were scary, but overall they were meaningless except as a "birds eat plastic" public service message.

3. The scene between Ryan and the emotionally stunted husband was painfully boring. I don't know what they were going for on that scene. It was truly awful.

4. I thought the acting this week was worse than usual. Usually this year it is just the writing that is bad.

5. Since this was another sermon episode, there was no advancement on the overall story; no Master, no timeless child, no Gallifrey, nothing.

This episode is what you would expect if some BBC boss stormed down to the writers room and said "we need an episode about how bad plastics are... and we need a gay kiss"... and we need it in 2 days!
maxdancona

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 08:06 pm
@maxdancona,
This episode was also guilty of anti-science. They showed a whirling mass of visible garbage in the Indian ocean. This simply doesn't exist.

The so-called "great garbage patches" are real things... and it is a serious issue. But they are also difficult to see, most of the plastic breaks down. These garbage patches would be difficult to see from an airplane or even a boat.

The image shown on this episode of a large swirling mass of garbage is terribly misleading. They are perpetuating a myth... if they are trying to be educational, they should be more responsible.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 12:34 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...showed a ... garbage in the Indian Ocean which simply does not esist.

Do yourself a favor max and try a bit of internet research prior to spouting nonsense.

There is an actual gyre of trash in the Indian Ocean. It was discovered a few years back. While not as large as the Pacific Ocean garbage patch, it does indeed exist.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 02:03 am
@Sturgis,
That's Max for you. It's not about facts or good writing it's about pushing an agenda that he wants. You can't celebrate diversity or look at environmental issues because that affects the profits of people he votes for.

What he wants is old time science fiction from the 1950s where the good guys are really good and the bad guys are thinly veiled metaphors for commies, black people, Mexicans, Muslims etc. etc.

He doesn't have the bottle to admit it so we get pages of this bollocks where he tries desperately not to disappear back up his own backside, with limited success.

What I found interesting were the new characters, maybe future companions or future allies like UNIT. I thought they were very good too, at first I thought the gay couple were brothers because they looked like each other. I think it was a nice twist, and quite welcome for everyone not pining for McCarthyism.
oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 02:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's Max for you. It's not about facts or good writing it's about pushing an agenda that he wants.

His complaints have been about facts and good writing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 02:12 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Do yourself a favor max and try a bit of internet research prior to spouting nonsense.
There is an actual gyre of trash in the Indian Ocean. It was discovered a few years back. While not as large as the Pacific Ocean garbage patch, it does indeed exist.

While I'm not going to bother doing research, based on yours and his track records I would guess that the only person here spouting nonsense is you.

But feel free to provide evidence that these patches are visible from a high altitude, if you can. I'm guessing you can't.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 05:12 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
...showed a ... garbage in the Indian Ocean which simply does not esist.

Did you watch the show Sturgis? The image showed on this episode of Doctor who was completely wrong; they are pushing an anti-science image.

Here is the debunking of a similar image from National Geographic via Snopes.

Quote:
For many people, the idea of a “garbage patch” conjures up images of an island of trash floating on the ocean. In reality, these patches are almost entirely made up of tiny bits of plastic, called microplastics. Microplastics can’t always be seen by the naked eye. Even satellite imagery doesn’t show a giant patch of garbage. The microplastics of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch can simply make the water look like a cloudy soup. This soup is intermixed with larger items, such as fishing gear and shoes. The seafloor beneath the Great Pacific Garbage Patch may also be an underwater trash heap. Oceanographers and ecologists recently discovered that about 70% of marine debris actually sinks to the bottom of the ocean.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 05:25 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
thought they were very good too, at first I thought the gay couple were brothers because they looked like each other. I think it was a nice twist...

The "gay couple" was a gimmick.

There are plenty of examples of well-written shows with gay characters that I enjoy quite well; I am currently hooked on The Magicians for example. Shows with great writing have realistic characters that belong; their sexuality flows naturally within the narrative.

Homosexuality doesn't magically turn poorly written stories into something interesting.

This season of Doctor Who is horribly written.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 05:28 am
@maxdancona,
It's science fiction, it uses allegories, clearly it's not this Earth. There is no UNIT, and we never had a prime minister called Harriet Jones.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Harriet_Jones

There is a floating rubbish island, just because it was placed in the Indian Ocean as opposed to the Pacific doesn't alter the fact that our oceans are full of plastic.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 05:39 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There is a floating rubbish island,

There is no floating rubbiish island in the Pacific. This is a myth. There is what is called a "garbage patch" or a "gyre". These are higher concentrations of plastic that are difficult to see ihe naked eye. If you want to refute this, show me a reputable scientific source that says there is what you call a "floating rubbish island".

That is the problem with putting pseudo-science on Doctor Who. Young impressionable minds, and Izzy, will be misinformed and get stuck with ideas about science that are simply wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:02 am
@maxdancona,
You're very much like Oralloy in respect of what you consider a reputable scientific source is anything that doesn't contradict what you're saying.

https://theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/<br />
As this is an organisation not endorsed by Trump I doubt you'll accept it, but I've posted it anyway, if nothing else it'll prove a point.

It's really quite disgusting that you're playing with words instead of dealing with the ecological disaster facing the planet. Instead of recognising the enormous amount of pollutants in our ocean you're playing games about what constitutes an island.

I think our children's future is more important that the profits of your heroes. You're worried that young impressionable minds might take action to save them planet and make life a little less luxurious for the filthy rich polluters whose arses you can't stop licking.

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:22 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It's really quite disgusting that you're playing with words instead of dealing with the ecological disaster facing the planet. Instead of recognising the enormous amount of pollutants in our ocean you're playing games about what constitutes an island.

That's virtue signalling and leftist phony outrage at it's finest. You're avoiding the fact that Max is right by throwing a fit about a social issue and condemning him for allegedly not caring about it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:50 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
https://theoceancleanup.com/great-pacific-garbage-patch/<br />
As this is an organisation not endorsed by Trump I doubt you'll accept it, but I've posted it anyway, if nothing else it'll prove a point.

I have no problem accepting your link. It looks accurate and provides links to real science. The problem is that it doesn't support your ridiculous claim that there is an "island of rubbish".

There is a big difference between the scientifically accurate pictures on this page and the ridiculous image of a giant swirling blob of trash depicted on Doctor Who. If Doctor Who is supposed to be tackling real world issues, they shouldn't be misrepresenting the actual situation.

Really, all I am asking for is well written stories.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 06:56 am
@maxdancona,
It's commonly regarded as an island of rubbish regardless of what you claim.

Either you accept the perilous situation our planet is in and try to do something about it or you make excuses and side with the polluters. You're doing the latter.

You wouldn't know a well written story if it bit you on the arse. You like Star Wars.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:07 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's commonly regarded as an island of rubbish regardless of what you claim.

Yeah right. I do not believe you will find any reputable scientific organization, or even any reputable ecological organization using the term "island of rubbish". But ok, We will go with that.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:16 am
@maxdancona,
Doctor Who isn't a scientific journal, it's entertainment, as such it uses common vernacular and expressions.

And you don't have to watch it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That is the problem with putting pseudo-science on Doctor Who. Young impressionable minds, and Izzy, will be misinformed and get stuck with ideas about science that are simply wrong.

And flying through time in a police box is based on actual science? It's a TV show.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:28 am
@McGentrix,
You have a point McGentrix. Maybe tbut that is part of the problem of mixing ecological messaging with fantasy TV. No one is going to think the Tardis (as a time travelling blue box) is real.

But people might mistakenly think that the swirling mount of garbage depicted in the Indian ocean is real.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:34 am
@maxdancona,
Pretty sure people watch Dr. Who for entertainment, not as a replacement for science class.