Why the Female Doctor Who is a flop.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
I was insulting you, not anybody else. That's why I used the word 'you.'

I love the way you scamper and hide behind Robert's shirttails.

Ooh, suits you.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 01:35 pm
@izzythepush,
You were insulting me for being a computer nerd, you claimed that our love for Monty Python was sad. I don't feel particularly threatened by your insults. That's kind of what you do; I have learned to accept it. I proudly own my obsession with Monty Python (which is typical for my profession) and my love for Doctor Who even when it isn't that good.

I do wish you would say something about why you feel the writing for this season of Doctor Who didn't suck.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:21 pm
@maxdancona,
I was insulting you for believing that reciting a sketch made you smart.

The rest is you.

We love Monty Python too, and we appreciate it because we know where it comes from. It could only have been made over here.

It's not your love of Monty Python that's a problem, it's your unwillingness to look beyond it. It's part of a tradition, not a singular example.

As always you just don't get it. Peter Cook was always so much better.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
A "Python" sketch with only Chapman and Cleese in it. Like I said they were part of a tradition, and a lot of the sketches had been performed elsewhere with other comics.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Monty Python originated in the UK... but it is very much American humor. The members understood this and their careers continued to America.

Eric Idle lives in Los Angeles. Michael Palin has American Citizenship. John Cleese has "quit the UK" (his words). John Cleese starred in Will and Grace and an Eddie Murphy film.

I will give you Benny Hill, a phenomenon that stayed quaintly British although people of a certain age enjoy its British charms. On the other hand England stole quite a bit from us, particularly Rock and Roll which was then sold back to us in a much Whiter form.

But Monty Python is bigger than the UK.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 06:56 pm
@maxdancona,
You guys wish you invented punk without a cowboy flavor but you just couldn't in a million years. And that is why Britain still rules the game for me. Britain with all its madness it is still the best at super formal and informal all around the world. And they know it. They ain't got nothing else to sell but Britishness.
Murika will never bypass its inferiority complex...oh and please don't touch the Queen, just keep your hands on the god damned burger.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 07:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
...originated in the UK... is very much American humor.

That was ridiculous even for you.

Quote:
The members understood this and...

So,your claim is they created the program for the sole purpose of landing acting gigs in the U.S.

I am so impressed by your imaginary wisdom on this. I guess it was just good luck that the show and movies were also successful in The UK.

...incidentally, actors and singers and others often head to other places to expand and explore their craft.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:03 pm
More people in the UK watched the latest season of "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" than watched this season of Doctor Who.

It seems a lot of Brits agree with me that the writing of Doctor Who sucks under Chibnall.

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Can you provide a legitimate source link for that, max?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Clearly I am toying with Izzy (a guy's gotta have some fun and Izzy asks for it), but I stand by my point.

Millions of Americans love Monty Python. This is particularly true in the American tech community. It is true that most people in the American tech community can quote Monty Python from memory and quite a few technology terms from "spam" to the popular programming language "Python" that take their lead from Monty Python.

Any claim that Americans can't appreciate Monty Python is ridiculous. Clearly many of us do.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:27 pm
And still... there has not a single post on this thread explaining why this season of Doctor Who didn't suck. No one is defending the writing. No one is explaining how the characters showed growth, or the Doctor had anything to say (other than her gender).

I think my main point from this thread stands. The writing and the overall story this year sucks, and the dropping ratings are evidence of this.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2020 08:44 pm
It's a show I haven't seen any episodes of.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 02:10 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Monty Python originated in the UK... but it is very much American humor.

Clutching at straws like a dying man.

You conveniently ignore the fact that Terry Gilliam has taken British citizenship.

It's like trying to have a conversation about Impressionism with someone who's only seen one of Monet's water lilies, refuses to see any of his other work, and has never heard of Renoir, Matisse or any of the others.

It's also evident that a lot of the Python jokes shoot right over your head.

Benny Hill hasn't been shown here since the 70s. It's sexist, demeaning, puerile and unfunny which is why it's the only other British comedy you're aware of.

You really are a walking cliché, the Dunning Kruger effect made flesh.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 02:20 am
@maxdancona,
I have done, but like most things that don't involve sums it shot straight over your head. I talked about the Master's development which is in keeping with the character arc, and something you could only talk about if you know the character which you refuse to do.

I like the fact that it's ahead of the game, as always. First female president in Frontier in Space, first mainstream examination of environmental issues in The Green Death. This season continued that tradition.

The writing was very good with excellent character development without relying on revisiting characters from other programmes, like Sue White.

I also like the fact that idiots like you hate it.

You don't know what good writing is, you don't have the wherewithal, never have. Stick to physics.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 02:29 am
@maxdancona,
You are right about one thing though, Cleese has transformed into a right wing bigot. His complaints about London were all about the amount of black faces and foreign languages he heard and saw in London.

I can see why that would strike a chord with you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:42 am
@izzythepush,
We all know you are a liar. But maybe missed something this time. Can you point to the post in this thread where you talk about the latest Masters character development.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 07:52 am
@maxdancona,
You're the one who lies Max. Here's my post on the Master, one which shot over your head.

https://able2know.org/topic/543513-11

Btw, success in America doesn't normally go hand in hand with being good. Python is the exception, but you've got rubbish like Benny Hill, Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand and James Corden all making it big in America.

Dudley Moore did as well, but Peter Cook didn't, and Peter Cook was the funniest of the pair by a mile.

Rick Mayall never made it either, and he was another comedy great.

American comedy isn't well regarded, if it was Adam Sandler would never have been in anything. Animation is pretty good, but other than that it's just very dull.

The only non animated American comedy I'm currently watching is Curb Your Enthusiasm. The rest just isn't worth the time of day.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:01 am
@izzythepush,
You like Curb Your Enthuasiam? I am a little surprised by this.

This season Larry is mistakenly accused of sexual assault when he touches a woman's breast while going for a "pig in a blanket" (his favorite appetizer). The show clearly shows that it is a bogus charge, but other women come forward.

The case against him ends when his accuser chokes on a scone he gives her (because scones are supposed to be dry). There is also a funny scene where he makes fun of getting consent.

Outrage liberals are calling him "tonedeaf". I agree with you. Larry David is ******* hillarious.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:14 am
@maxdancona,
I have seen that episode, you don't need to explain it to me.

Larry is not a good person, you're not supposed to like him. The last episode I saw he abuses a disabled permit and fits new ladies' toilets without any consultation at all.

There's a huge difference between the person and the character played. For example Suzy and Larry are particularly good friends which are why the characters are so nasty to each other.

You don't get it, he wasn't making fun of getting consent, he was making fun of idiots who claim that's what you need to do.

Btw, they weren't pigs in blankets, they were sausage rolls.

Pigs in blankets look like this.

https://realfood.tesco.com/media/images/Pigs-in-blankets1400x919-7e9a1464-5b4e-49d1-8835-d5b6786728d7-0-1400x919.jpg

And this is hilarious, it's on the BBC at the moment.

maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2020 08:34 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I have seen that episode, you don't need to explain it to me.

Larry is not a good person, you're not supposed to like him.

I am glad you are on my side on this one Izzy. Feminist groups are quite upset with this story arc.

Quote:
It’s true—Jeff may not be Weinstein, Larry was only wearing the robe because he got his clothes dirty, and as for the MAGA hat, he was only wearing it as part of an admittedly ingenious scheme to get people to leave him alone. The viewers are meant to laugh at this big fat misunderstanding—sympathize, as we usually do, with the cranky but lovable Larry David. As though it’s impossible for someone who isn’t Weinstein and doesn’t believe in MAGA to still be a gigantic asshole.

By contrasting the evil behavior of people like Weinstein and Donald Trump with the less virulent antics of Larry David, Curb minimizes the horribleness of doing things like grabbing a woman’s shirt or otherwise invading her personal space, which in turn makes the women complaining seem unreasonable. “I was lucky to get out of there,” the caterer later exaggerates to Larry’s assistant, driving home the point that not only were these women mistaken about Jeff’s identity, they must also be out of their minds.

By portraying women as hysterical here, especially in jest, Curb feeds into a popular, false stereotype that prevents women from confronting men who do things like grab their shirts, reach into their plates, and, in the new season’s second episode, hold their wrists so they can’t get away. And it’s not confined to just this one episode.

https://observer.com/2020/02/larry-david-hbo-curb-your-enthusiasm-metoo-happy-new-year/