Why the Female Doctor Who is a flop.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 05:41 pm
@maxdancona,
You just want it all fluffy bunny rabbits.
oralloy

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 05:50 pm
@izzythepush,
A show doesn't have to be all unicorns and rainbows. But I'd like to not come away from a show feeling bad. I like my entertainment to leave me feeling happy.

But as you've said before, I don't have to watch it if I don't like it. If other people like the show as it is, I guess I'll leave you to it.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 06:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You just want it all fluffy bunny rabbits.

What I want is good writing and interesting stories... like we used to have with Davies and Moffat.

The ratings keep falling week after week. Hopefully the show will survive the Chibnall years. The rumor is that contracts with HBO Max will keep the show from being canceled in the next two years.

We need good writing by people who understand the legacy of Doctor Who as a fantastic, long-running science fiction show.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 11:58 pm
If you are so dissatisfied with the current season (and apparently you are), then cease viewing until the next writer/season/Doctor portrayer is installed. Read reviews so as to keep up to date.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:33 am
@maxdancona,
No you don't. You want nice easy stories with happy endings and a male doctor.

Like many second rate science teachers you have no understanding or appreciation of the arts. You're exactly the same about Shakespeare.

You can lie to yourself about why you don't like the current series, but nobody else is fooled. You're just going to keep whining until you get your way.

Take Sturgis' advice and stop spoiling things for everyone else.

I do realise I'm asking you to stop the habit of a lifetime.

Btw, the departure of Donna was nothing compared to that of Jamie. He'd been with the second doctor almost from the beginning, and their relationship was far stronger than that with Donna Noble.

Even when you try to make a point you use second rate examples because you don't fully appreciate or understand this series, you never have.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Like many second rate science teachers you have no understanding or appreciation of the arts. You're exactly the same about Shakespeare.

I need to qualify this because I've never seen you teach. Although I've taught myself and known plenty of teachers from a range of disciplines.

A good teacher needs to have a touch of the Renaissance about them. Farmerman is a scientist but he knows a lot about Art, especially Italian Renaissance Art.

All you know is your bloody subject, and you should stick to it. I don't claim to know a great deal about Science, but it's perfectly clear I know considerably more about Science than you do about Art, Literature and the Humanities.

Science Fiction has long been the poor relation of other genres. That's because a lot of it is simplistic and simple minded. Take the SF films of the 50s and writers like EE "Doc" Smith whose Lensman series is incredibly adolescent, just Cowboys and Indians in space.

This rubbish culminated in Star Wars, but it's not all SF is. There are plenty of good writers out there, like HG Wells, Philip K Dick, Brian Aldiss and William Burroughs but I doubt you'll have heard of them. If you had you wouldn't keep demanding the dumb Doctor Who down while claiming to do anything but that.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 04:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Interesting... all of the writers on Izzy's list are male, White and born before 1930. I would have put Vonnegut and Heinlen at the top of that cohort. But the world of Science Fiction has so much more to offer.

Ursula Le Guin is one of my favorite writers; in my opinion she is a far better story teller than anyone on Izzy's list. She tackled social issues, including gender and sexuality, brilliantly using compelling characters and well constructed worlds to tell the stories organically.

I really like Sarah Ketter. I don't think she is getting the acclaim she deserves for Fool's War. I have also recently enjoyed Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It was very interesting for a non-Western perspective which included the impact of the Cultural Revolution in China and it was a well written story.

Science fiction is so much more than stories told by old white men.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 04:44 pm
@maxdancona,
I wasn't writing a definitive list. You're trying desperately to portray yourself as something very different from what you really are.

Heinlein would appeal to you, he's not very good, and Le Guin is known mostly as a children's author. I taught Wizard of Earthsea to 12 year olds and they understood more than you.

You're not very good at lying, never have been, eventually you always get found out. Normally though most people shut up once they've been rumbled, not you.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 04:55 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't think you have ever heard of Ursula Le Guin. You just googled her now. Wink

In my opinion, her two great masterpieces are The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness. Neither of these are for children.

Edit: I forgot about The Lathe of Heaven... also an awesome story. If you haven't read these novels, I highly recommend them.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 05:06 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

If you are so dissatisfied with the current season (and apparently you are), then cease viewing until the next writer/season/Doctor portrayer is installed. Read reviews so as to keep up to date.

I will watch Doctor Who no matter how bad it gets. I was also a long suffering Patriots fan during the Bledsoe years. I can enjoy it even if it is terrible. I paid for the season, I am going to watch it.

Obviously, I am enjoying writing on this thread or else I wouldn't be here. That is the same for anyone else on this thread. We all keep doing what makes us happy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 06:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Your opinion has never mattered to me. I don't lie, but you've been found to lie on numerous occasions.

And if I was going to lie I wouldn't lie about teaching the Wizard of bloody Earthsea.

Get a bloody grip Max.
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:19 pm
@izzythepush,
I doubt that he has lied. Can you cite any of his supposed lies?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:43 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I doubt that he has lied. Can you cite any of his supposed lies?

Thanks Oralloy. But, I don't want this to derail the Doctor Who thread. I am learning to ignore these little slights.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 11:12 pm
@maxdancona,
When I was a kid in the 1970s, I have a vague memory of watching Doctor Who on PBS. I don't know if the shows were reruns or not. During that time I was too young to understand what I was watching. I didn't even know what the show was about back then. I seem to remember a guy wearing a scarf. I also remember the theme song back then. Other than that, I have no memory of those early Doctor Who shows. Because I was only a kid in the 1970s, Doctor Who was essentially just something in the background on the television screen.

I became a huge fan of the show when the show restarted in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston. Since then I have been a huge fan of the Doctor Who series. My favorite Doctor Who was David Tennant. My second favorite was Matt Smith. My third favorite was Christopher Eccleston. My fourth favorite was Peter Capaldi. And last on my list is Jodie Whittaker.

I don't know the names of the different writers and show runners.
Whoever wrote during the David Tennant and Matt Smith tenures, I feel were the best writers.

My opinions only goes back as far as 2005 up to the present time.

The current Doctor Who with Jodie Whittaker is just okay. I have to say that the current Doctor Who writers and cast are probably the weakest writers and cast over the last 15 years. I do hope the new season turns out better. I have seen every Doctor Who episode from 2005 to the present. I have not missed a single episode over the last 15 years.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 06:13 am
@Real Music,
Your knowledge of Doctor Who, like that of Max, only takes into account recent episodes.

Clearly The Master is playing a pivotal role in the current series and if you're unaware of Jon Pertwee's doctor where the Master is introduced and developed, you're not going to be aware of all of the nuances.

Since 2005 the series has drawn considerably on classic episodes, but if you're not even going to consider them you're only going to get half of the story.

I've been watching it from the beginning. The best doctor is Patrick Troughton. Always will be.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 06:14 am
@Real Music,
The "guy wearing a scarf" is Tom Baker... now this has the risk of turning into a religious war... Tom Baker was unquestionably the best Doctor in the history of the show (and anyone who thinks otherwise is an uncultured git).

I loved the Matt Smith Doctor... but that might be because of Amy Pond (played by Karen Gillan). The chemistry between Smith and Gillan was fantastic.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 06:21 am
@maxdancona,
You've never watched any of the others, and have no appreciation.

This is our show, and we don't give a **** what Americans think, especially ones like you who like Star Wars.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, it is true that my knowledge of the Doctor Who tv series is not complete.
My knowledge of the show only goes back to when the show restarted in 2005 up to the present.
I have virtually no knowledge of the early Doctor Who series.

From the moment I started watching the restart of the show 15 years age, I have been a huge fan of the series.
Doctor Who is a wonderful tv series and a real joy to watch. I truly enjoy watching Doctor Who.
Real Music

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:37 pm
@maxdancona,
1. The guy wearing the scarf "Tom Baker" is only a vague memory for me.

2. I'm not sure if it was the mid 1970s or the late 1970s.

3. I'm not sure, but I think I was probably around 10 years old.

4. For all I know, I could have been watching reruns.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:00 pm
Some of my favorite characters and actors on the Doctor Who Series since I started watching the show in 2005 is quite long.
The following in no particular order is a list of my favorite Doctor Who characters and actors over the last 15 years.
My following list is completely random and not in any particular order.

1. Christopher Eccleston (The Doctor)

2. Billie Piper (Rose Tyler)

3. John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness)

4. Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler)

5. Noel Clarke (Mickey)

6. David Tennant (The Doctor)

7. Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones)

8. Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams)

9. Karen Gillen (Amy Pond)

10. Catherine Tate (Donna Noble)

11. Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith)

12. Michelle Gomez (The Master)

13. Penelope Wilton (Harriett Jones)

14. Neve McIntosh (Madame Vastra)

15. Catrin Stewart (Jenny Flint)