Why the Female Doctor Who is a flop.

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 04:46 am
@izzythepush,
First off apologies for going off topic for a second.

Izzy wrote
Quote:
Can't talk about the film, but the book is very good.

This is concerning the movie Look who's back Iz, couldn't really answer on the movie topic.

I haven't read the book but the movie is very good. Both humorous & telling.
It was released in 2015, the same year Merkel opened the door for a million refugees.
Some may find it offensive as anything about Adolf is controversial.

I actually had a Hitler day a few weekends ago.
First off I watched Look who's back then later I watched Jo Jo Rabbit and i have to say I enjoyed both movies immensely.

Recommend both movies.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 05:35 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Why not make it three.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 10:52 am
I've just finished watching Frontier In Space. Roger Delgado's Master is delightfully hammy, just like Sacha Dhawan.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2020 11:21 pm
Izzy's Five Stages of Doctor Who Grief
Adapted from Kulber-Ross.

1. Stage 1: Denial A woman as Doctor Who! Of course it is well written and the ratings are great!

2. Stage 2: Anger It's just those hateful ignorant misogynists ruining everything.

3 Stage 3: Bargaining But, it has a social message. It is telling kids to save the planet.

4. Stage 4: Depression No one understands. Let's talk about other shows... and Hitler.

5. Stage 5: Acceptance Max was right all along, it isn't very good now. But that's OK. Life goes on.
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 01:20 am
@maxdancona,
You really can't think for yourself, so you cut and paste someone else's thoughts and change the names.

Then you show your encyclopaedic knowledge of British comedy by quoting Monty ******* Python.

How incredibly dull.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:27 pm
Excellent episode reminiscent of v early Who, edge of the seat stuff.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 04:06 pm
@izzythepush,
I hope I like it. I did like one episode this season so far. If they retcon Missy out of the story... I am going to be upset.

https://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/styles/main_wide/public/2017/06/doctor-falls-promo-pics-11.jpg?itok=bf4WIRSp

Missy, played by Michelle Gomez, was awesome!

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 01:30 am
@maxdancona,
You won't like it. Your mind has already been made up.

If you like Michelle Gomez see The Green Wing. She's not playing The Master any more.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 05:29 am
@maxdancona,
You're not fooling anyone either, your Damascene conversion to Gomez's Master is just a way of you trying to pretend your criticisms of Whittaker's Doctor are not motivated by misogyny.

Actually, you may have fooled yourself, I'll give you that. It wouldn't be the first time you've swallowed your own bs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2020 06:16 am
@izzythepush,
If you see The Green Wing then you'll be able to quote something other than Monty bloody Python when referring to British comedy.

It's not the 1970s any more.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 07:48 am
Quote:
BBC Drama controller Piers Wenger has rubbished rumours that Doctor Who could go on hiatus in the near future.

The cult sci-fi series is enjoying its 12th series since the big revival 15 years ago, and currently stars the first female version of the iconic Time Lord – Jodie Whittaker.

So why put the brakes on now?

Speaking to Digital Spy and other press, Wenger said: "I worked on Doctor Who myself, I produced it for many years, and I can honestly say that I don't think it's been in better health, editorially.

"I think it's fantastic and... the production values obviously have never been better."

Labelling the show "incredibly important" for younger audiences, he said "fewer and fewer shows" have the power to bring families together in the way Doctor Who does – "so it will always be an important show for us."

And if there was any doubt of its future, Wenger confirmed: "I think we're a very long way from wanting to rest it."

Meanwhile, showrunner Chris Chibnall previously revealed that series 13 plans are already in motion, with an autumn 2020 shoot date being lined up.

"Once you see the end of this series, you'll realise there are some stories we're already setting in train for next series. We have very big, ambitious plans for our third series together."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a31088721/doctor-who-season-13-bbc-hiatus-break/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2020 01:46 pm
Has anyone else seen Ascension? Max has the flu so I don't expect to hear from him.

And more especially I don't want to give out spoilers if no one else has seen it yet.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2020 07:01 am
Last night's finale was fantastic. Quite a few twists but now we know the truth about the Timeless Child. The Kid's fiancé is from Brazil so we have the subtitles on. I don't know if it's been changed but events in Ireland were called events in Island. It still got a capital.
Real Music

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 01:40 pm
@izzythepush,

The season finale episode was excellent, splendid, and superb.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I'm not surprised you didn't understand, you're not very good at that. In the same way racists say "I'm not a racist but.." and then go on to say something racist you could also claim not to be misogynistic and go on to attack women which is what you always do.

You don't like the new Doctor because of Jodie Whittaker but you're too much of a coward to admit it.

I've never heard of Orphan Black and have no desire to see anything you would describe as 'awesome.'

Lot of science fiction as in whole books serious by famous writers contain super strong women.

David Weber is famous for writing such books.

Now the turning of the good doctor female seems however to be done to check off some politically correct box an not to added to Dr. Who story line in any meaningful way.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 04:14 pm
@BillRM,
Whether or not the latest season of Doctor Who sucks or not has nothing to do with whether the main character is a woman or not. The idea that it is impossible for Doctor Who to suck because she is a woman is just a sexist as anything else. The idea that disagreeing with a woman is misogyny is ridiculous.

We should all Judge Doctor Who fairly for what it is.

By the way, the latest season of Doctor Who does suck. The ratings are down. The later is a fact, and the former is a view held by quite a few people.

Izzy is welcome to his opinion. I might ask whether he would be so enamored with the writing this season had the Doctor been played by another man.... it may be an interesting question, but it moot. He loved this season (apparently), I thought it sucked. So be it.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2020 04:26 pm
@BillRM,
Do not fear... I am working on my finale review (I am still recovering from illness and I want to put effort into this review). But the brief points.

1. There were good parts, particularly the second episode had me on the edge of my seat (something that hasn't happened often this season). The costumes of the [spoilers] made me laugh.

2. I did not like the number of random plot devices. There is no explanation of why the boundary happened to just appear at the right place, or the Judoon. Deus ex machina after deus ex machina.

3. I absolutely hate the amount of change to the Doctor Who story line. Chibnall gave a big middle finger to half of the fan base (to the apparent glee of the other half). Missy was based wiped out of the story (something I have been saying for a while they shouldn't do). River Song no longer possible? He really took a hammer to the franchise.

4. In spite of the big changes, the story was rather simplistic and poorly written. The Master's motivation is so pedantic and unuanced. Ashad (who could have been an interesting character) turned out to be a silly one-dimensional plot device.

5. I have mixed feelings about the Doctor's therapy session with Doctor Ruth. When Doctor Ruth said "have you ever been limited by who you were before" I saw Chibnall smirking. This is "therapist ex machina". Amusing scene? Annoying scene? I don't know.

I will write more when I have more time.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:06 am
@BillRM,
And what would you know? Your fractured English says you should stick to science.

Not only that, we all know your attitude towards women.

You don't have to watch it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:12 am
@maxdancona,
Another fact is that Doctor Who will still be running when your pet sci fi shows are a distant memory.

And it will be running next season as well.

You don't like it because the Doctor is female, and that's why you're bending over backwards looking for other reasons.

You're only fooling yourself.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2020 06:28 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Another fact is that Doctor Who will still be running when your pet sci fi shows are a distant memory.

I haven't mentioned this, but there is a reason that there is a public discussion about whether Doctor Who should be put on hiatus. There have articles about the possibility of a hiatus in both The Guardian and The Telgraph. Once the head of the BBC starts publicly denying that the show is going to be stopped, you know that there is a story here.

The reason for this is that under Chibnall the ratings are dropping.

That is just a fact.