The Military Draft and You (or someone you may know)...?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 12:52 pm
I am in favor of the military draft. If the United States is going to start wars, then the entire country, men and women alike, should share the burden of fighting them.

There is a saying with American soldiers in Afganistan....

"America is not at war. We are at war. America is at the mall."

If we are going to elect politicians that want to go to war, our sons and daughters should be called upon to fight it equally.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 01:09 pm
Impeachment and reelection.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 01:31 pm
@oralloy,
I predicted that Trump would start a war with Iran as part of his reelection strategy. We have never kicked out a leader during a war. This president is as morally corrupt as most of our religious leaders. And as usual our patriot citizens will fall in line just like the sheep they have been taught to be.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:26 pm
@engineer,
Attacks in Iran would only be in response to further hostilities from Iran. We would have no allies? You mean Europe? Pretty sure Britain would be an ally as would Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Israel and a couple other ME countries.

I doubt we would be leveling Iran, just the military might. We support freedom for Iranians as there is still a pretty good sized population opposed to the Iranian govt.
Real Music

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:31 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
As has been pointed out by many sources, the US spends more on defense than the next 10 countries combined so I would assume it would be a quick and dirty war.
1. Is this your opinion?
2. Or is this the opinion of military generals and military experts?

Quote:
US, Israeli and Saudi forces would quickly strike and wipe all radar, anti-aircraft batteries, aircraft and munition factories in a matter of hours.
1. Is this your opinion?

Quote:
We would then go to the table and negotiate while the people of Iran decided the next move.
1. Is this your opinion?

Quote:
There would be no nation building after.
1. Is this your opinion?
McGentrix

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:36 pm
@Real Music,
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/5881527296/h5124CBDE/you-thought-of-that-yourself-did-you-you-must-be-some-kind-of-genius
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:47 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Attacks in Iran would only be in response to further hostilities from Iran. We would have no allies? You mean Europe? Pretty sure Britain would be an ally as would Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Israel and a couple other ME countries.

I doubt we would be leveling Iran, just the military might. We support freedom for Iranians as there is still a pretty good sized population opposed to the Iranian govt.

Did you have this same opinions before we invaded Iraq? We very likely can win a military war with Iran. The problem is the economic, political and moral costs.

I don't think that what Trump is doing is best for the US. Foreign policy is difficult, even for a military superpower. It requires building alliances and projecting an image of morality. Diplomacy is very important.

Trump is just waving his dick around blindly. That is not foreign policy.

If we get kicked out of Iraq... what then?
McGentrix

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think that what Trump is doing is best for the US.

WHAT?! Shocking.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 02:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I don't think that what Trump is doing is best for the US.

WHAT?! Shocking.

Are you taking a partisan stance or a principled one. Do you honestly think that this is the correct strategy? Would you feel the same way if a Democratic president were taking the same steps.

I was willing to criticize Obama and Clinton and I am on record praising GW Bush when he did something that was best for the country.

I would love to see a conservative who was able to put principle, what is truly best for the US, over partisan ideology.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 03:08 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I would love to see a conservative who was able to put principle, what is truly best for the US, over partisan ideology.

You mean "I would love to see a conservative agree with me." don't you?

It is far too early to say whether this was a good thing or not. On it's surface, I fell as though it is fine. Dude was a piece of **** state sponsored terrorist. His death is good for the world and America.

Maybe it will be a wake up call for Iran that they should stop the **** while Trump is President. Maybe it won't be. I am not going to do a bunch hand wringing waiting to see if Iran does something stupid in return.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 03:33 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You mean "I would love to see a conservative agree with me." don't you?

No. I said I would love to see a conservative put principle over partisan ideology. The sign of this wouldn't be agreeing with me.

I am simply asking that conservatives show some independent thought rather than marching lock step with the Trump ideology.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 04:41 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Pretty much all the problems in the Mideast are religion related, Sunni vs Shiite. Regardless of our intent, an attack on Iran will be considered an attack on Shiite Islam. Iraq is also predominantly Shiite. We are already seeing protests in Iraq and demands that US troops leave Iraq in their legislature. Europe is not going to step into that. Like usual, Israel and Saudi Arabia will cheer us on but provide minimal support. Russia will of course move in to support both Iraq and Iran like they did Syria, the other Shiite stronghold. Much the way the US supported Afghanistan in the 80's to stymie the USSR, Russia can support Shiites to thwart the US.

You can doubt that we will be leveling Iraq, but the US military will absolutely be using the Serbia model - destroy all bridges, power plants, roadways, oil production etc. Unlike in Serbia, Iran has a religious mandate to never surrender. We will bomb and bomb and there will be no one to negotiate with. China also relies on Iranian oil and will not take kindly to our disrupting it.

Not that I think that this will happen. The Iranians will likely continue their campaign of disruptive actions that cause inconvenience especially in Iraq, the US will likely continue to sabre rattle but not actually do something stupid. In this, Trump's inclination to leave open options is great. I think he realizes (a lot more than the rest of his administration) that there is no negotiating after a strike on Iran.

But for the topic of the thread, I agree with you that there will be no draft because there will be no need.
engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 04:48 pm
@Real Music,
You can look at the last several engagements between the US and smaller countries and McG is right on the money. The active war parts of Iraq 1, Serbia, Iraq 2 were all pretty quick and all military resistance was pretty quickly eliminated. If you have no desire to hold the ground, it's going to be very straightforward. I also think with the hostility that the US has for Iran, there would be no US nation building. (The Chinese would be happy to fund that, much like they are already doing all over the world. That would essentially make Iran and its oil an extension of China.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 04:51 pm
@engineer,
We are also seeing celebrations in the streets of Iraq cheering the death of Soleimani. Odd we aren't seeing those on CNN isn't it?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 05:05 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

We are also seeing celebrations in the streets of Iraq cheering the death of Soleimani. Odd we aren't seeing those on CNN isn't it?

They were mentioned on NPR.

NPR is reporting that there are a large range or reactions in Iraq depending on ideology and ethnic group.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 05:10 pm
@McGentrix,
There are a minority of Sunnis in Iraq, it doesn't surprise me that they are happy. They don't hold the country though. Rockets are falling near the US compound in Iraq so not everyone is happy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 07:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am in favor of the military draft.

I'm not. I don't like the idea of forcing other people into battle against their will.

maxdancona wrote:
If the United States is going to start wars, then the entire country, men and women alike, should share the burden of fighting them.

Why? What is wrong with simply bombarding the bad guys with dronestrikes?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Impeachment and reelection.

It's looking like Pelosi has backed down and is not going to go forward with impeachment. But we'll see what she does.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 07:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
We very likely can win a military war with Iran. The problem is the economic, political and moral costs.

What costs?

maxdancona wrote:
If we get kicked out of Iraq... what then?

"Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch."
oralloy

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 07:03 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You can doubt that we will be leveling Iraq, but the US military will absolutely be using the Serbia model - destroy all bridges, power plants, roadways, oil production etc. Unlike in Serbia, Iran has a religious mandate to never surrender. We will bomb and bomb and there will be no one to negotiate with. China also relies on Iranian oil and will not take kindly to our disrupting it.

So in other words, no downsides.
0 Replies