DISGRACEFUL DICK DURBIN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,297 • Replies: 132
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:07 pm
Got a source for this op-ed piece, Lash? Given that the exact text of Durbin's remarks have been posted elsewhere in these fora, and clearly show many of the contentions in this article to be outright lies, it would be interesting to know which right-wingnut puked this up.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 05:00 am
Gitmo remark makes Durbin easy prey

June 19, 2005

BY LYNN SWEET WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF

'There's an old rule in politics, and I've seen it many times," said retired Gen. Wesley Clark on Thursday night, as he brushed aside Fox News talker Sean Hannity's demand for him to condemn Sen. Dick Durbin. "Whoever uses the 'Nazi' word first loses," said Clark, the former Democratic presidential candidate who is a political analyst for Fox.

Six months ago, Senate Democrats picked Durbin (D-Ill.) to be their No. 2 leader because he is one of the most articulate and informed senators on his side of the aisle.

But Durbin lapsed this week and his punishment included providing fuel for the mighty right-wing political machine. That includes Rush Limbaugh and talk show hosts at Fox News, where bashing Durbin was the singular theme of Friday's "Fox & Friends" morning cablecast.

Nazis, Soviets, Pol Pot

On Friday, seeking to defuse the issue, Durbin issued a statement of regret.

Noting that more than 1,700 U.S. soldiers have been killed in Iraq, the U.S. image battered because of "prison abuses" at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, Durbin said, "My statement in the Senate was critical of the policies of this Administration which add to the risk our soldiers face.

"I will continue to speak out when I disagree with this Administration.

"I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support."

On Tuesday, from the floor of the Senate, Durbin, citing a declassified FBI report, compared the treatment of prisoners at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to "Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings."

No behavior compares

However troublesome the conditions at Guantanamo, whatever the embarrassment for the U.S. of its treatment of inmates, there is no comparison to the incomparable -- the Nazi genocide, the Stalinist horrors, the Pol Pot murders.

I cringe whenever someone -- no matter how well-meaning -- describes some offensive person as a Hitler or accuses someone of being a Nazi. No behavior, I pray, should ever again rise to that level.

Durbin was trying to make a point about U.S. policy towards detainees based on a snapshot provided by a one-page FBI report -- worrying about the path the U.S. is taking and hoping to head off future scandals -- in an arena that is a nuance-free zone.

As a result, "I became a poster child for Rush Limbaugh," Durbin said early Friday on WGN radio's Spike O'Dell show.

A few weeks ago, Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) said the Democratic threat to filibuster President Bush's judicial nominees was "the equivalent of Adolf Hitler in 1942."
Santorum's comment drew a reprimand from the Anti-Defamation League and the consistent ADL sent Durbin a letter Thursday asking him to repudiate his remarks and apologize for his "inappropriate comparison to Nazi tactics."

However shabbily prisoners are treated at Guantanamo, "suggesting some kind of equivalence between their interrogation tactics demonstrates a profound lack of understanding about the horrors that Hitler and his regime actually perpetrated," the ADL said.

'Totally out of line'

Sen. John Warner (R-Va.), the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) raked Durbin over on Thursday. Warner said he was "deeply disturbed" by Durbin's analogy. Vice President Dick Cheney, on a radio show, said Friday Durbin was "totally out of line."

"If it is Dick Durbin in trouble, then something is wrong. They are so good at changing the subject," said Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.).

Durbin's analogy, as clumsy as it was, is not where the focus should stay. How the U.S. treats prisoners, how the U.S. is conducting the Iraq war, how the U.S. wins more allies, how the U.S. improves relations with Muslim countries -- yes, and why the U.S. has trouble providing armored plates for Jeeps in combat -- one of Durbin's crusades -- that's what is important.

"Everyone who knows Dick Durbin knows how much he cares about the troops and their families," Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) told me Friday.

Said Obama, "This administration has made a habit of diverting attention of its failures by criticizing the messenger."

Source
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:18 am
Blah Blah Blah - Don't look at the man behind the curtain - blah blah blah - don't fix the real problem - blah blah blah Run Away Bride is on at 11.

TF
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:26 am
Setanta wrote:
Got a source for this op-ed piece, Lash? Given that the exact text of Durbin's remarks have been posted elsewhere in these fora, and clearly show many of the contentions in this article to be outright lies, it would be interesting to know which right-wingnut puked this up.

According to your hysterically funny overwrought outrage, the right possesses the rough equivalent of Michael Moore............IMPOSSIBLE!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:35 am
Lashes post was a New York Post piece also carried on Yahoo news.

http://p146.news.scd.yahoo.com/s/nypost/20050618/cm_nypost/disgracefuldickdurbin
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:51 am
Lash, I agree that a few bad apples (military zealots) doesn't mean all apples (miltary personel) are bad.

But, certainly you can see there's enough abuse to warrant concern and wonder why so much of it is being allowed?

Maybe you woud be interested n this... http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53937&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:17 am
All references to Nazi's and Hitler should be stopped until there actually is something to reference. The only thing as bad as Hitler, has been Hitler. He worked far too hard at being evil to be compared to every dick that does something stupid.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:28 am
the point that set made seems to be missed. The actual speech that Durbin made was not a speech with an emphasis upon the comparisons . It needed respinning and careful editing to make it sound outrageous.
Durbin has the speechifyin skills
to handle things well on his own. If Rush the blov wishes to keep it fresh and bleeding, consider the source. Its often hard to tell whether its Limbaugh or the drugs talking.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:34 am
The difference between Santorum's comment and Durbin's/Amnesty International's 'gulag' is....the latter two get repeated in the press all around the world including such as Al Jazeera which then makes it okay for the enemy to be even more emboldened and give a percieved credence to their cause.

Not only were their statements out of proportion, they make the conditions more dangerous for our soldiers.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
So, without comments like Durbins our soldiers would be more safe?

Wihout comments like Durbins, or other references to abuse by our military, there would only be ... what? Half as many dead American and allied soldiers? Two thirds as many? One fourth as many?

What would the difference be in the number of young Americans and allied forces killed? How many died due to Durbins comment or comments by others that have spoken of US military abuse of prisoners?

If we didn't broadcast these atrocities, would the fighting have ended?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:51 am
Bringing attention to abuse and comparing our soldiers to Nazi's are far different.

Wouldn't you think someone as fluent in the English language as Durbin appears to be could have found a less controversial comparison, or used no comparison at all? Perhaps his bringing his perception of the abuse in Gitmo would have been enough?

No one is suggesting that we should not be made aware of what our forces are doing, just do it in a way that doesn't make the speaker look like such an asshat.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:53 am
Maybe no difference, but why throw gasoline on the fire? Why not express their opinions in more rational terms when you're country is trying to win a war, where is the common sense?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
Brand X wrote:
The difference between Santorum's comment and Durbin's/Amnesty International's 'gulag' is....the latter two get repeated in the press all around the world including such as Al Jazeera which then makes it okay for the enemy to be even more emboldened and give a percieved credence to their cause.

Not only were their statements out of proportion, they make the conditions more dangerous for our soldiers.

In any thread that deals, however tangentially, with Hitler and the Nazis, I expect a certain number of the posts will lack the usual minimum level of mental acuity that one might find in threads that have yet to reach their Godwin point. This post, however, surprised even me. Suggesting that equivalently objectionable remarks made by Santorum and Durbin are qualitatively different because of the differing ways in which others have used them is simply not worthy of serious consideration. Durbin has no more control over Al Jazeera than he has over Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the conservative dittorati. That they have ignored Santorum's idiotic remarks and have focused on Durbin's is no discredit to Durbin, just as it is no credit to Santorum.

Furthermore, to suggest that Durbin's remarks "make the conditions more dangerous for our soldiers" is to announce that one has finally signed the papers formalizing the divorce between himself and the realm of fact and logic. How likely is it that some Iraqi patriot is shouting "Durbin akbar!" while engaging US troops in a firefight? What are the chances that the average Arab thinks that the events at Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo are worse after hearing Durbin's remarks? It takes an imagination more vivid than mine to conjure these possibilities.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:59 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brand X wrote:

In any thread that deals, however tangentially, with Hitler and the Nazis, I expect a certain number of the posts will lack the usual minimum level of mental acuity that one might find in threads that have yet to reach their Godwin point. This post, however, surprised even me. Suggesting that equivalently objectionable remarks made by Santorum and Durbin are qualitatively different because of the differing ways in which others have used them is simply not worthy of serious consideration. Durbin has no more control over Al Jazeera than he has over Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the conservative dittorati. That they have ignored Santorum's idiotic remarks and have focused on Durbin's is no discredit to Durbin, just as it is no credit to Santorum.

Furthermore, to suggest that Durbin's remarks "make the conditions more dangerous for our soldiers" is to announce that one has finally signed the papers formalizing the divorce between himself and the realm of fact and logic. How likely is it that some Iraqi patriot is shouting "Durbin akbar!" while engaging US troops in a firefight? What are the chances that the average Arab thinks that the events at Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo are worse after hearing Durbin's remarks? It takes an imagination more vivid than mine to conjure these possibilities.

Firstly, I don't think Santorum is any better a man than Durbin because he used the Hitler comparison in a non war context, all should abstain from doing such.

Secondly, Amnesty uses 'gulag' which makes Durbin think it's okay to do the same...then our enemy concludes that if it's okay for a supposed credible international faction to publish the sentiment and a US senator to validate it, then it garners more support for them.

It takes an imagination more than mine to conjure a reasonable purpose for such outlandish comparisons. It is unnecssary rhetoric which is in no way productive for our efforts to win the war or quell the hysteria over past actions at Gitmo.

Godwin's Law means little to our enemies, they are not reasonable and don't discern that 'Nazi' might be used to trump an argument...furthermore they have no incentive to, all they need to know is that it hits the US in the gut. Durbin should realize what he says in public reaches far beyond his myopic political posturing.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 09:23 am
Quote:
Atrocious analogy
By Mark Steyn
Published June 20, 2005

Throughout the last campaign season, senior Democrats' speeches included a standard line, usually delivered with righteous anger, about how "nobody has a right to question my patriotism." Given that nobody questioned their patriotism, it seemed an odd thing to harp on about.
But, aware of their touchiness on the subject, I hasten to add that in what follows I am not questioning Sen. Dick Durbin's patriotism, at least not for the first couple of paragraphs. Instead, I'll begin by questioning his sanity.
Last Tuesday, Mr. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, quoted a report of U.S. "atrocities" at Guantanamo and then added:
"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime -- Pol Pot or others -- that had no concern for human beings."
Er, well, your average low-wattage senator might. But I wouldn't. The "atrocities" he enumerated -- "Not only was the temperature unbearably hot, but extremely loud rap music was being played in the room" -- are not characteristic of the Nazis, the Soviets or Pol Pot, and, at the end, the body count in Gitmo was a lot lower. That's to say, it was zero, which would have been counted a poor day's work in Auschwitz or Siberia or the killing fields of Cambodia.
But give Mr. Durbin credit. Every third-rate hack on every European newspaper can do the Americans-are-Nazis shtick. Amnesty International has already declared Guantanamo the "gulag of our times." But I do believe the senator is the first to compare the U.S. armed forces with the blood-drenched thugs of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge. Way to go, Senator. If you had a dime for every crackpot Web site that takes up your thoughtful historical comparison, you would be able to retire to the Caribbean and spend the rest of your days torturing yourself with hot weather and loud music, as well as inappropriately provocative women and insufficient choice of hors d'oeuvre and all the other shameful atrocities at Guantanamo.
Just for the record, some 15 million to 30 million Soviets died in the gulag; some 6 million Jews died in the Nazi camps; some 2 million Cambodians -- one-third of the country's population -- died in the killing fields. Nobody's died in Gitmo, not even from having Christina Aguilera played to them excessively loudly. The comparison is deranged, and deeply insulting not just to the U.S. military but to the millions of relatives of those dead Russians, Jews and Cambodians, who, unlike Mr. Durbin, know what real atrocities are.
Had Mr. Durbin said, "Why, these atrocities are so terrible you would almost believe it was an account of the activities of my distinguished colleague Robert C. Byrd's fellow Klansmen," that would have been a little closer to the ballpark but still way out.
One measure of a civilized society is that words mean something: "Soviet" and "Nazi" and "Pol Pot" cannot equate to Guantanamo unless you're utterly unmoored from reality.
Spot the odd one out: (1) mass starvation, (2) gas chambers, (3) mountains of skulls, (4) lousy infidel pop music at full volume. One of these is not the same as the others, and Mr. Durbin doesn't have the excuse of being some airhead celeb or an Ivy League professor. He's the Senate Judiciary Committee's second-ranking Democrat. Don't they have an insanity clause?
Now let us turn to the ranking Democrat, the big cheese on the committee, Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont. Mr. Leahy thinks Gitmo must be closed and argues as follows:
"America was once very rightly viewed as a leader in human rights and the rule of law, but Guantanamo has drained our leadership, our credibility, and the world's good will for America at alarming rates."
So, until Guantanamo, America was "viewed as a leader in human rights"? Not in 2004, when Abu Ghraib was the atrocity du jour. Not in 2003, when every humanitarian organization on the planet predicted the deaths of millions of Iraqis from cholera, dysentery and other diseases due to America's "war for oil." Not in 2002, when the "human rights" lobby filled the streets of Vancouver and London and Rome and Sydney to protest the Bushitler plans to end the benign reign of good King Saddam. Not the weekend before September 11, 2001, when the human-rights grandees of the U.N. "anti-racism" conference met in South Africa to demand America pay reparations for the Rwandan genocide and to cheer Robert Mugabe to the rooftops for calling on Britain and America to "apologize unreservedly for their crimes against humanity."
If you close Gitmo tomorrow, the world's anti-Americans will look around and within 48 hours light on something else for Gulag of theWeek.
And this is where it's time to question Mr. Durbin's patriotism. As Mr. Leahy implicitly acknowledges, Guantanamo is about "image" and "perception" -- about how others see America. If this one small camp of a few hundred people has "drained the world's good will," whose fault is that?
The senator from Illinois' comparisons are as tired as they're grotesque. They add nothing useful to the debate. But around the planet folks naturally figure that, if only 100 people out of nearly 300 million get to be senators, the position must be a big deal. Hence, headlines in the Arab world like "U.S. senator stands by Nazi remark." That's al Jazeera, where the senator from al-Inois is now a big hero -- for slandering his own country, for confirming the lurid propaganda of its enemies. Yes, folks, American soldiers are Nazis and U.S. prison camps are gulags. Don't take our word for it, Sen. Bigshot says so.
This isn't a Republican versus Democrat thing; it's about senior Democrats who are so over-invested in their hatred of a passing administration that they've signed on to the nuttiest slurs of the lunatic fringe.
It would be heartening to think Mr. Durbin will himself now be subjected to some serious torture. Not real torture, of course; I don't mean using Pol Pot techniques and playing the Celine Dion Christmas album really loud to him.
But he should at least be made a little uncomfortable about what he's done -- in a time of war, making an inflammatory libel against his country's military that has no value whatever except to America's enemies. Shame on him, and shame on those fellow senators and Democrats who by their refusal to condemn him endorse his slander.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
Brand X wrote:
Firstly, I don't think Santorum is any better a man than Durbin because he used the Hitler comparison in a non war context, all should abstain from doing such.

Nor did I imply that you thought Santorum was better, just that his remarks were better because others did not use them in the same way they used Durbin's remarks.

Brand X wrote:
Secondly, Amnesty uses 'gulag' which makes Durbin think it's okay to do the same...then our enemy concludes that if it's okay for a supposed credible international faction to publish the sentiment and a US senator to validate it, then it garners more support for them.

What is your factual basis for this assertion?

Brand X wrote:
It takes an imagination more than mine to conjure a reasonable purpose for such outlandish comparisons. It is unnecssary rhetoric which is in no way productive for our efforts to win the war or quell the hysteria over past actions at Gitmo.

Unnecessary rhetoric rarely wins wars. That doesn't stop politicians of all stripes from indulging in it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
Mark Steyn wrote:
As Mr. Leahy implicitly acknowledges, Guantanamo is about "image" and "perception" -- about how others see America. If this one small camp of a few hundred people has "drained the world's good will," whose fault is that?

The Bush administration's. Duh!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
All references to Nazi's and Hitler should be stopped until there actually is something to reference. The only thing as bad as Hitler, has been Hitler. He worked far too hard at being evil to be compared to every dick that does something stupid.

with ya on this one mcg.

hitler is hitler. accept no substitutes. that includes saddam.

stalin could run a close second, and seems to have actually killed more people. but hitler really took his act on the road.

for the record, i think bush is hitler or even a nazi. the only thing i see that is even remotely available for comparison is that rove & cheney, and to a lesser extent, dubya, really, really know how to pull the levers on the big political machine.

people in our country are spending way too much time concentrating on the past. it's unproductive.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
Setanta wrote:
Got a source for this op-ed piece, Lash?

Quote:
NY Post...I got it through Yahoo.news, where I have my news homepage
Quote:
Given that the exact text of Durbin's remarks have been posted elsewhere in these fora, and clearly show many of the contentions in this article to be outright lies, it would be interesting to know which right-wingnut puked this up.

Quote:
It would be even more interesting to see how you refute the facts of exactly what he said--or try to find a lie in the Post piece.

Did he say it or not?

Do you think Gitmo is comparable to the Nazis or Pol Pot?

Can we compare the number of those murdered?

Al Jazeera is running the comments and YES it does endanger our service personnel. They likely think our Senator must be in possession of information that we are systematically murdering prisoners. Why else would he spew such traitorous lies about his own military?

You defend him and his Nazi/Pol Pot comparison?
0 Replies