Help! Somebody talk me out of it!

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
It sounds to me like you have two good options. You just have to decide if you want to stay in the city, that's all. Stay in the city means freelance. Moving out means the job in Rochester. I think maybe you're afraid to lose the thing you hate because you'll have nowhere to direct your anger. But hey, maybe there won't be as much anger to direct.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:53 pm
Kicky,

The unknown is always scary (and I'll hold you if you want during the scary times!) You are truly a wonderfully intelligent, witty, skillful, competent, endearing man who can do anything you want. I have complete faith in you. Smile

"Boss, some things in my life are changing right now and while it has been a good ride for the last seven years, it is time for me to move forward in pursuit of my dreams."

Hand him the resignation, short and simple, adopt that wonderful feeling of "short timers attitude" and just have some fun your last two weeks there.

Plus, I'll always be here if you need me. :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:14 pm
Heeven, you've got a deal, but only if I can meet Lady J for conjugal visits at regular intervals.

Freeduck, don't worry, I'm pretty sure I'll always be able to find a focal point for my anger. I love to hate! Yeah, you're right though, I do have two choices, both of them much better than what I'm doing now.

Thanks, Lady J! Wow! Wonderful, intelligent, witty, skillful, competent, and endearing? You really do know me! :wink:

Seriously, though, I appreciate your kind words, and I am so ready to do it, but I just can't seem to make me damn feet get up and carry me into that office! I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow, since my boss leaves in about...hey! He actually should have left ten minutes ago. Why is he still in there?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
Since Lady J is obviously not right in the head (kicky is endearing?), I have to supervise any conjugal visits and if it looks like she is passed out from your jumping off the wardrobe, I will pull you back in line with a lash of my whip.

http://users.pandora.be/ramones/emoticon/whip.gif
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:35 pm
Love that whip, baby...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:07 am
Leave that h*ll hole - whatever you do! Since I left, my knife piercing headaches have disappeared. I am much happier and have stopped kicking my cats.

Heck, I've been to Rochester and think it is beautiful town - I really did love it. Although, I have never been there during the winter.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:10 am
Kicky,
you can be like that other guy in Ny. The one who wears the little white speedos and plays the guitar on corners?
;-)

just wear black speedos, a necktie and soem cuffs so he cant say you ripped off his idea.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:13 am
Black speedos, necktie, cuffs.

And, don't forget the whip
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:14 am
I only read your original post but my advice is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:16 am
Everyone, .....Pardon my ignorance, but where is Rochester? Is it far from New York? Large town/small village?
The only Rochester I know, has a very fine castle built in the 11th Century, and is at the mouth of the Thames, near London.
I'm sure he doesnt mean there, as he hates black pudding!

Mr K,......... my own son was gradually being bored to death, dealing with insurance claims in some pokey little office about three years ago.
He was making good money and had a company car, but was obviously thoroughly depressed with his life's lot.
After another evening with a face that looked like a bulldog chewing a wasp, I got him to open up and it all poured out.
He made a decision to quit that night, and although he decided to opt out of earning money altogether by going to Uni, he looked as if the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.
There was a hippie student within him that was crying to get out .

He's never looked back, and is almost a conventional human being again, but now he has a smile on his face.

You're never too young to be p*ssed off, and you're never too old to do something about it.

GO FOR IT, Mr K.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
God has spoken Kicky..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:22 am
The Lord has spoken, shewolf, and let not my wrath smite you, as I am very interesting in the discipline department.

My smiting has bought a smile to many a young filly. I'll catch that plane one day.........
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
So, is today the big day?

Ya gonna go for it, Kicky? It's Friday, and after you tell him (I suggest around 5'ish) you won't have to see him again until Monday.

What f he offers you more money? A corner office with a view? A promotion? What will you do then? Be prepared for whatever reaction he may have and know in advance what you are going to say.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:45 am
Do it Kicky

http://www.basetree.com/thumbs2/tn_Radical_Cheerleaders_2_jpg.jpg

Do it Kicky

http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/cheerleader/pictures%2004-05/cheerleaders%20010-04-05_small.jpg

RAH RAH RAH !!

http://www.uark.edu/~arsc/images/random/cheerleaders.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 09:43 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Everyone, .....Pardon my ignorance, but where is Rochester? Is it far from New York? Large town/small village?

Rochester, NY is about a six-hour drive from New York. It is very close to the Canadian border, on Lake Ontario...here, it's the red star on this map.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADlAsUVpBy8e3oEQD1AIOjbuNto6WfQTpZcXJvwRB8MGReqNIZ93rUKd4yjg*9Nt9hn9*OqbEkcc6GnHKmUxxoJwXHT4N8jiV0si82ztS8vAAAAynIVAg/Roch1.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty small. The population is about 500,000, if you count the more rural areas surrounding it. It is a nice place in the summer, which lasts for about two weeks each year. The other eleven and a half months of the year, there are frigid temperatures, snow, slush, rain, and almost constant cloudy skies, with the occasional ice storm thrown in for good measure.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Thanks for all the support, but I'm not quitting today. I'm still too unsure. I feel like I need just a couple/few more days to prepare myself.

Maybe I should talk to my mother about it, so that she can tell me the exact wrong thing to do, and then, like the good brainwashed little child that I am, blindly do it, and f*ck up the next year or so of my life.

This is torture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:09 am
Howzis, Kicky...

It seems like you're not super-challenged at this job. Go ahead and take on one of those freelance jobs -- WHILE you're still working. See what you think about it, whether you like it, whether the agency sucks, whether there is some unforseen wrinkle.

You get to make some extra money and get your feet wet while retaining job security.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
Plus -- this way you build up contacts and a portfolio (I'm sure you have a portfolio, but more recent/ varied), which will help you make the jump to doing it full time.

You could do it for a while to build up extra savings, too, which would also help tide you over during the transition.

It all assumes you'd be able to do both, not sure if that's realistic. I often look at creative stuff on Craigslist, seems like there are opportunities on many different scales.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:28 am
That sounds like a reasonable idea, but I don't think I can do that. Two problems.

Problem #1: The chances of finding something that would work with my schedule here would be very low. I might be looking for something like that for awhile. Plus, I know what the freelance work here is like already. I did it for a long time, and I know some people who are doing it still.

Problem #2: I can't stand the thought of still working here in another two, three, six, or however many months that would take. I am leaving this place within a month or so, or I will go f*cking batty.

What I'd really like to do is just quit, take the rest of the summer completely off, and think about it, unencumbered. But I don't think I have the balls to do something that risky.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:40 am
Kicky, I spent a week in Buffalo, and if Rochester is anything like it - then you need all the good luck you can get !!

Good luck mate - NY wont be the same without you !
0 Replies