Help! Somebody talk me out of it!

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:22 am
I talked to my brother this morning and he told me about a job in Rochester that I could have, and although I'm not ready to go and move back to Rochester just yet, it made me go, "Hey, why don't I just get it over with and quit this f*cking job I hate!"

I was planning on going back into the world of freelance here in NYC for a while, like I used to do when my life didn't suck. But I'm worried because I don't have my resume, portfolio, etc, all up to snuff yet. But ****, that should only take a day, if I get cracking on it. So screw it, I think I'm going to put my two-week notice in, either today or tomorrow.

So, in conclusion, if one of you good people don't talk some sense into me, I'm going to do it!!! Help!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,462 • Replies: 84
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:43 am
Sorry, kicky. I can't think of a good reason for you not to. How long have you lived in the city? Maybe you could use a change.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:43 am
Can you afford to give your notice? Will you have enough funds to carry you through the several months it may take to get the freelance work built up to a livable income?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:54 am
Freeduck, I've been here 7 years. And I love this city. But if I have to leave to be happier, so be it. I'll miss it dearly, but I'll do it.

Aaah, good questions, Squinney. Yes, yes, and yes. Also, when I said freelance, I didn't mean completely going out on my own and digging up my own clients. I meant freelancing through agencies. There are literally hundreds of them in NYC. It's not like I'll have to build up any clientelle, unless I want to. I should be able to get temporary assignments to keep me going for awhile without too much trouble. I hope.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:58 am
No, Kicky! Don't do it. Stay where you are. You so frequently post about how happy you are with your current situation .... a change from that can be nothing but a bad idea.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:59 am
Ha!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:59 am
put in your notice.
get it over with
enjoy the feeling of freedom
and move on to a diffrent life.

sorry, i cant tell you to stay put in something you dont like. Life is short. If you dont enjoy it now , it will be gone later.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:06 pm
Thanks, Shewolf. I know, I know...I've been going over it in my head for the past week. Everyday I decide to do it, then I talk myself out of it...I keep telling myself that if I wait just a little bit longer I'll have that little bit more money and I'll be just that little bit more prepared.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:07 pm
Damn, it's amazing how hard it is to let go of something, even something you hate, after you get used to it! The unknown is really scary...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:08 pm
f-k the little bit more money.
If having that little bit of money is TRULY important, cut back on your spending during your job transition. Scrimp pinch penny count for the next month or so. You can do it.

now ONWARD soldier...
Go FORTH and prosper...

hehe ( im such a dork )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:10 pm
Can you talk to some of these agencies first? See what the hiring climate is like?

From what little I know, things are really tight and competitive these days, overqualified people fighting for scraps. It might not be what you're expecting from last time you were out there.

Can't hurt to just check.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:12 pm
Start at the beginning and go to the end my friend. Opportunity waits for no one. You hate your job now. You have hated your job for a very long time. Granted it is scary to leave a place where it has become very comfortable, but other than that, I can see no reason for you to stay.

You will feel a bit scared but so damn liberated!! You'll be taking back control of your own life and giving yourself a chance for happiness and fulfillment that has been missing for so long.

Do it, babe with no regrets. Embrace a new world with open arms and your very open heart and be happy!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:17 pm
Thanks for the encouragement, Shewolf. And for the record, you're definitely NOT a dork.

Soz, I have talked to a couple agencies, and I've talked to people who are already freelancing, and they seem to be saying that the jobs are starting to come back. They say that it was really tight for the past two years, but that now things are starting to open up again.

It's not back like it was in the late 90s, of course, but really, that was probably something that we won't see again for a looong time, if ever again. Jobs were like apples then...I could just walk down the street and pick any one I wanted.

Lady J, thank you!

But I'm scairt! I need to figure out exactly what I'm going to tell my boss first. That will make it easier, I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:30 pm
you dont have to get personal with your boss.
Your reasons for leaving dont effect your ability to use them for a work referrance.
you can tell him you are leaving for a sex change if y ou so choose.
Your work performance is all you have with them that matters.
You can just walk into his/her office, say " Im sorry but changes are happening in my home life. The result is that I have to leave. Here is my resignation. Is there anything i can finish up for you before my 2 weeks are up that will help? "

and stop there.

Are you worried about finances during the transition?
are there any larger bills you can either disperse over a few montsh to bring the initial amount down? Bills that can be paid late that wont hurt you? Friends who would be willing to help with housing if you have to move so you can save money with out having to pay for a down payment , security deposit..etc..?
how long do you think it will take to get a new job?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:41 pm
I'm not really worried about anything specific. It's just the not knowing. I have enough money (but what is "enough", anyway?), and I have NO debt at all. I'm good like that.

As for how long it will take to get another job, if I go freelance, I should be able to get short-term assignments--one day here, three days there, a week maybe at another place--almost immediately, if I want. As for another real full-time job, who knows? That's where the scary part comes into play.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:53 pm
I think it's about time you became a bum. Besides cockroaches are full of nutrients and you can supplement your income with your weekend job [dancing as a she-male, Kinky-can]. You will stride right into boss-office and tell him, as shewolfnm suggested:

shewolfnm wrote:
you can tell him you are leaving for a sex change

Mucho exciting things on the horizon for you m'lad, and all of them can be treated with penicillen. Good luck now!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:55 pm
Thanks, Heeven! By the way, can I bunk down with you for a couple weeks until I get back on my feet? And do you have any money I can borrow? Or food?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:56 pm
Wait! I've got it! I will be your Jerry Hall! You will be my "kept man".
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:03 pm
I've left four jobs that I didn't like.
Except for the first one, each time I left I had someplace else to go
already lined up. (The "Wingwalker Principle": never let go of one thing
until you have damn good hold on the other.)
Each time I left it was scary.
Each time I left it was worth it.
(Even the first time when I had to move back in at home for a couple of
months).
Get that resume polished up and go for it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:04 pm
Ooooh, kept man!
Can't turn that down.
0 Replies