Why are so many health coverage companies advertising on TV these days?

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:39 pm
Hi. I am curious about this.

I've heard of, read about, and have seen many companies advertised on TV- Humana, United Health Care, Physicians Mutual, Fidelus, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Ehealth, Cigna, EmblemHealth, Medicare Coverage Helpline, etc.

I have seen local companies advertised like WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

We know health care and coverage for it is important, but why are so many companies advertising these days?

Please help- thank you.

Sturgis

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
Money.

In many cases at this time of year, the ads are aimed towards people with Medicare. There's a small window of time each year when persons with Medicare can apply for or switch supplemental health insurance and also part D medication coverage.
JGoldman10

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 09:30 pm
@Sturgis,
How do people know what service to contact and what plan to sign up for? There are dozens of companies. And lots of hotlines with which you can get help with coverage plans and find out about additional benefits.

I was in the market for better dental coverage. I contacted UHC about Dual Complete because my mother persuaded me to sign up for it. She told me she know someone who had Dual Complete and was very satisfied with it, and she listed off some of the benefits.

I contacted someone at UHC and asked them for info about Dual Complete.

Every time health coverage companies would pop up on TV in ads I would jot the phone numbers down for them. One day I was rummaging through my list of numbers and I called EHealth. EHealth is a service that comparison shops for health coverage plans for you.

WellCare Health Plans, Inc. is health coverage company that has a branch in my hometown. I met a rep from Wellcare at my local supermarket and briefly spoke with her over the phone.

A rep from EHealth told me the two best plans that suited what I needed are Humana Gold Plus and UHC Dual Complete. These two plans are very similar but Dual Complete offers better dental coverage so I went with that. I called the person I met through UHC and told her to sign me up for Dual Complete. She told me Dual Complete was the best plan for someone with both Medicare and Medicaid and that Medicare supplement plans are too costly.

I was going to call HealthMarkets, but I think I am satisfied with what I have. I recall calling New York State of Health, but I couldn't get the health coverage plan I wanted through them because it conflicted with my Medicaid and Medicare and Social Security benefits, if I remember right.

I remember complaining that I didn't have Aetna coverage when my mother and brother had it at one point. I called Aetna up one day- I forgot the reason they said I couldn't get it. I think they said I couldn't get it in NY, which doesn't make sense.
JGoldman10

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 09:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I am curious about this.

I've heard of, read about, and have seen many companies advertised on TV- Humana, United Health Care, Physicians Mutual, Fidelus, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Ehealth, Cigna, EmblemHealth, Aetna, Medicare Coverage Helpline, etc.

I have seen local companies advertised like WellCare Health Plans, Inc.

We know health care and coverage for it is important, but why are so many companies advertising these days?

Please help- thank you.

FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Mon 7 Oct, 2019 10:29 pm
@Sturgis,
What's the difference between Medicare supplement plans and Medicare advantage plans?
Linkat

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 07:01 am
@JGoldman10,
Because it is a business - and the more people who use their services, the more money they make. Advertising is a way to entice people to use their services or products.

Advertising 101.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 07:03 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

How do people know what service to contact and what plan to sign up for? There are dozens of companies. And lots of hotlines with which you can get help with coverage plans and find out about additional benefits.

No different than any other service or product you would buy. What do you do when you want to buy a TV, try a new restaurant or see a movie? How do you determine which product, food, or service you would want?

No different.
JGoldman10

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:40 am
@Linkat,
I meant why is there such an increased need for health care?

I am aware of the fact a lot of people are on Medicare.
Linkat

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I meant why is there such an increased need for health care?

I am aware of the fact a lot of people are on Medicare.

Then ask that question - the question in your title is about the advertising on TV these days?

That may or may not be an indication of increased need - some increased need is likely the fact that people are living longer - older people tend to have a greater need for health care.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
Sounds like a lot of work, glad I don't have to do that.
JGoldman10

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:54 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you have free healthcare?
izzythepush

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
Since 1948
JGoldman10

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Canadians claim they have free healthcare too.
izzythepush

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Not as long as us, they had similar propaganda battles with big pharma like you just did over Obamacare, but in Canada the people won.

JGoldman10

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Medicaid and Medicare are free in the U.S. but they don't necessarily cover everything. You can get them through Social Services.

Obamacare was mandatory coverage for people who do not HAVE any.
chai2

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
The only part of Medicare that is free is part A. That covers hospitals. Part B for doctors has a premium, as well as supplemental drug plans.
Under Medicare you are liable for 20% of the cost. That’s why people get supplemental plans to help cover that 20%, and you pay for those plans as well.
In general, it is for people 65 and older.
Go to the Medicare website for details or further information.

Medicaid is income and asset based. It’s for people with low or no income who have few assets, excluding their home.
izzythepush

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Like I said, in America big pharma won, they've certainly got you well trained.

Free health care is obligatory over here too.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:48 pm
@chai2,
I qualified for Medicaid through Social Services. That's why I got it. I didn't have to pay to get it.

You can get Medicare for free if you are on Disability.
izzythepush

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 01:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
People on benefits over here don't have to pay for prescriptions. Those who aren't on benefits have to pay £9 per item regardless.
chai2

Tue 8 Oct, 2019 02:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I qualified for Medicaid through Social Services. That's why I got it. I didn't have to pay to get it.

You can get Medicare for free if you are on Disability.

You qualified for Medicaid because you make little or no money, and have little or no assets.

No, Medicare is definately NOT free just because you are disabled. You have to qualify for Social Security Disability Insurance, which is also income based. If you don't qualify because of low income and other factors, you don't get free Medicare.

You really don't want to go there with me on these facts. This is something I've had to be personally very knowledgeable about over the years.

If you have Medicare, it's because you are under a certain income level and basically have no assets. Just because you went to "Social Services" doesn't mean you don't have to qualify.
0 Replies