Ecology and Environmentalism in the 21st Century

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 03:54 pm
Hi. I am a just a bit curious about this.

Ecology and environmentalism were big issues in the mid to late 20th century- between the '60s and '90s.

You had a handful of environmentalist mascots, like Carly the Cardinal who encouraged kids to plant trees:

Woodsy the Owl, Smokey the Bear and Captain Planet.

Are ecology and environmentalism still big issues NOW? They ought to be.

A couple of years ago, fracking was an issue in my hometown and local politicians were talking about it. Is THAT a big environmental concern?

Construction of the Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines were issues when Obama was still in office. Obama was opposed to building them because there were environmental concerns. Trump green-lighted their construction anyway.

Is the Japanese government still working to clean up radiation leakage that seeped into Japanese waters not too long after a tsunami hit Japan a couple of years ago?

I know some folks have been talking about global warming, climate change and the alleged melting of the polar ice caps. Are THESE still major environmental concerns? What about the greenhouse effect- is THAT still a concern?

What is being done to fix the ozone layer?

What things are threatening ecosystems? What animal and plant species are being threatened that we should be aware of?

What ARE the major ecological and environmental concerns of the 21st century?

What measures have the scientific community taken to help ecosystems and the environment?

Does President Trump care about ecology and environmentalism? What is President Trump doing to help ecosystems and the environment?

Please help. Thank you.

chai2

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 04:47 pm
Are you f*cking kidding us goldman?

Do you live in a cave and have only recently come up to the surface for the first time?

Come on. Seriously?

This is pathetic and ridiculous, even by your standards.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 04:57 pm
@chai2,
I'm serious as cancer. I was trying to start and hold a worthwhile discussion.

There is so much stuff going on in the world, I don't keep track of it all.

Who has time for all that? Everyone is busy and has things to deal with.

Ecology and environmentalism affects people's health. You're not concerned about your health?

If you didn't like this thread, you should not have responded. No one forced you to.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 05:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
Environmental issues are so passe. To emphasize this, young Greta Thunberg recently boarded a boat and began sailing the world. She even stopped off at The United Nations in New York City and addressed the people.there.

While she did that, Carly the Cardinal took a new job as the mascot for an Arizona football 🏈team and Woodsy the Owl took part in an exciting interspecies wedding to the great grandbearby-son of the late Smokey the Bear (who seemed to have vanished after filming Smokey and the Bandit, Part 4).

Leaders of various nations from here and there, gathered to decry the ending of deadly coal mining and its horrible resultant effect of leaving onerous children without even a lump of coal in their Chanukmas stockings!

Realizing the importance and advantages of more beachfront resorts and private islands, schoolchildren rallied for bonfires to be built upon glaciers to help speed up all the polar melting. this is so they'll have comfy jobs as beachfront inn owners and bartenders she they hit the workforces.

Obviously Shrines built to Pete Seger and Richard Nixon (who created the EPA) have been replaced with Shake Shacks, Tattoo Parlors, Vaping Venues and Beer 🍺Halls.

Seriously, just use your SEARCH ENGINE! you will get millions of hits showing what is currently taking place in the world of environmental issues and protection.

You will learn how Earth Day has evolved and how more people have become concerned about global warming, climate change and taken part in trying to reduce their own individual carbon footprint through recycling and using all natural resources.

Check out the recent happenings with the cleanup process of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

(Are you sure you were told your i.q. is 85 when you and your kinfolk went to watch you take that test? I'm having serious doubts about it being that high)

Oh, and Buck the Beaver died when his canoe overturned in the trash filled river.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2019 07:09 pm
@chai2,
I am somewhat of a recluse. I live a secluded existence. Seriously.

And no, I don't get out much.

Do you have ANY input regarding ecology and environmentalism now that you'd like to share?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:48 am
@JGoldman10,
Surely you get the news. Yesterday, (when you posted this thread,) there were massive global protests by extinction rebellion.

Quote:
Extinction Rebellion activists are protesting in cities around the world, including Berlin, Amsterdam and Sydney.

On Monday, organisers blockaded key sites in central London, in addition to demonstrating outside government departments.

Some glued and chained themselves to roads and vehicles - those who did so outside Westminster Abbey were later removed by police.

The roads behind Downing Street were blocked throughout the day by protesters, some of whom had erected tents in the street and were sitting down and singing songs together.

Among the group were two girls, Esme, 11, and Rafi, nine, who had taken the day off school to attend the protests.

Their mother Laurie, 41, told the Press Association: "They've already done a spelling test this morning, sat down in the street, so we're not wasting time.

"We've talked about the protests at home and the school knows where they are."

"We're here because we want the world to still be alive when we die," said Rafi.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49967784
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:50 am
@izzythepush,
No. This is the first I have heard of this. Your source is from BBC News. I didn't hear anything about this on any AMERICAN news sources.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:53 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

You had a handful of environmentalist mascots, like Carly the Cardinal who encouraged kids to plant trees:

Woodsy the Owl, Smokey the Bear and Captain Planet.

Protesting against global warming is a bit more that creating some cutesy cartoon character. Extinction rebellion have taken direct action leading to cities and major polluters being shut down, but you wouldn't know. Maybe if they'd created Dave the depressed dung beetle you might have paid attention.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 12:56 am
@JGoldman10,
If aliens land and address the UN you will start a thread asking if NASA is still going.

That's how far off the mark you are.

Most people follow the news and keep up with major events.

American news channels have been following Extinction Rebellion too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:09 am
@JGoldman10,
I've seen this covered by CNN, CBS, and MSNBC. All of these are American news sources.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:22 am
@JGoldman10,
New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/nyregion/extinction-rebellion-nyc-protest.html

USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/10/07/extinction-rebellion-new-yorks-wall-street-bull-doused-blood/3898176002/

Reuters
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-protests/sorry-this-is-an-emergency-climate-protesters-block-streets-around-the-world-idUSKBN1WM1JP

NPR
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/20/762629200/mass-protests-in-australia-kick-off-global-climate-strike-ahead-of-u-n-summit

I'm confused; you said you live in seclusion, but you somehow have access to the internet, which theoretically should keep you up to date with current events. Many news sites can send newsletters to your email at your request, so that you stay informed.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:57 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes they are huge issues. Usually one of the major debates politically.

Believe me - I have a good friend that is of Dr. of Marine Biology and she petitions the government to protect marine wildlife.

Environmental Science and Studies are now huge areas of study and jobs whereas when I went to college you rarely if ever heard of these majors. My daughter is in her junior year majoring in environmental science so we certainly did our research in this area.

Companies every where market themselves as being "green" - I work in a "green" building - one that was built specifically to minimize the footprint on the environment - you are talking about a financial company which its major focus is making money.

Now we are taking this issue much more serious than simply having mascots to appeal to children - now we are actually doing this throughout businesses, politics and education - maybe these mascots from the 60s and 90s had an impact to entice these now adults to care more for the environment.

But yes we are actually more environmentally conscience and many areas have actually implemented policies and practices to improve their impacts on the environment.
chai2

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 08:47 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

No. This is the first I have heard of this. Your source is from BBC News. I didn't hear anything about this on any AMERICAN news sources.

Why? because the environment is only in the U.S.?

Come on everyone, it's so obvious Goldman is just jerking everyone around pretending to be so oblivious of what is possibly the most discussed and relevant issue of the day.

He can look up how to do transcription work from home, but has no knowledge of global warming?

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 09:16 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

Why? because the environment is only in the U.S.?

Come on everyone, it's so obvious Goldman is just jerking everyone around pretending to be so oblivious of what is possibly the most discussed and relevant issue of the day.

He can look up how to do transcription work from home, but has no knowledge of global warming?

I believe it - JGoldman lives in a comic book world. So since we have not seen mascots (those comic like creatures) representing the environment and environmental concerns to him there is no longer concern about the environment.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 09:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
What is being done to fix the ozone layer?

"The Montreal Protocol, an international agreement to address the global problem of ozone destruction, was signed by more than 70 countries in 1986. It set goals of reducing CFC production 20% by 1993 and 50% by 1998. Since the agreement was signed, these targets have been strengthened to call for the elimination of the most dangerous CFCs by 1996 and for regulation of other ozone-depleting chemicals."
https://scied.ucar.edu/ozone-layer

The Ozone layer should return to pre-1980 levels around the year 2060.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:28 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. Can something be done to expedite the process?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:29 am
@Linkat,
I went to school for ANIMATION. I want to produce my own CARTOONS and comics. This is not relevant to the discussion.

I don't watch a lot of REGULAR TV. Most TV I watch is CHRISTIAN TV.

I mention a few CARTOON environmentalist mascots. That's a reason to mock someone?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:33 am
@JGoldman10,
Global warming is far more of an issue than the ozone layer.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:34 am
@Rebelofnj,
Despite living with two family members, yes I live in seclusion. I have TVs and a PC with internet access and a smartphone with internet access.

The internet is pretty much my window to the world, so to speak. I have two Christian penpals I email, whom I met through Yahoo! Answers. I do not have friends that I interact with in person. I talk to my pastor and ex-pastor over the phone. I sometimes email my pastor. I talk to people in chat rooms, on forums like this one and on message boards.

When I go out in public I don't really interact with people. I go shopping and go to the library to get work done.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 11:35 am
@Linkat,
Okay. What about FRACKING?

I am not talking about environmentalist mascots from the '60s TO the '90s.

Carly, Woodsy and Smokey I recall seeing in the '80s and Captain Planet in the '90s.

It's good young people are being made aware through mascots that ecology and environmentalism is important.

On a related note:

https://sacbrie.com/2018/08/23/smokey-bear-and-woodsy-owl-deported-from-california/