Ecology and Environmentalism in the 21st Century

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 01:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
You previously shared your current home situation with me via emails.

However, your situation doesn't seem to be the sole reason why you are behind in the news. You certainly have time to talk in forums for hours at a time. To write responses in multiple paragraphs and replies.

As I said, I find it odd that you are writing works about talking animals and possibly fantasy, despite you not keeping up with pop culture.
It is entirely possible that someone has written and published something close to what you spent years on and you did not know it.
livinglava

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 03:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Are ecology and environmentalism still big issues NOW? They ought to be.

They are bigger than ever, but there is a tipping point where people have to go from talking about change to actually changing their ways, at which point many people realize they don't care as much about the long-term sustainability of the planet as they do about living the way they want to live in the present.

Most people just want to drive out to an ecological park outside the city and feel good about nature before going back to the city where they drive around in their cars on multi-lane roads and spend money.

When they read about deforestation, they don't think of the places they live, drive, work, and shop as being deforested. They think 'deforestation' only refers to areas that are currently forested being cut and cleared; not those that were cut and cleared 10/25/50/100/200/500 years ago, which are still devoid of large-canopy trees in sufficient density to restore a sustainable carbon cycle.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 04:43 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

You previously shared your current home situation with me via emails.

I know- I'm not disclosing what I shared with you here.

I've used my spare time to do research, but not on current events and trends. I've used my spare time to chat with people I know in a certain chat room, and/or communicate with my penpals via email, or to interact with people on video sharing sites like my friend. Or more importantly, respond to important emails.

I had more than one cartoon and/or comics series I wanted to develop.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 05:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I've used my spare time to do research, but not on current events and trends.

But you have done research on current events and trends in previous threads. You have asked questions about current trends over the years on different websites including Able2Know. For example, you had asked what was popular with children nowadays, and what software is being used by current animators. Basically, you are going through a very roundabout way to stay current.
This thread started because you wanted to know about what is being done to address issues regarding the environment today, then you got links about the recent climate change protests.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 09:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I had more than one cartoon and/or comics series I wanted to develop.

I never claimed that you only had one project in the works. You have said, numerous times in several sites, that you are working on multiple projects. You even described these projects on rare occasion.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I do do research on things pertaining to health, diet and nutrition. And about various types of insurance.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:23 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not procrastinating. I was trying to take measures towards getting my stuff developed. I ordered a bunch of art supplies online.

I was trying to find out about a voice over course I was interested in taking through the Continuing Ed Dept. through my old art school. I was trying to get info about the guy who was teaching that course. I was hoping to take that course at some point this year.

Unfortunately, it was cancelled due to low enrollment. Sad

Now, I have to find out what venue or venues I need to get the voice acting training I want and need.

I was trying to contact Art Instruction Schools. I know the school is closed- all I wanted to know from them is if I could still order their study materials off their website.

AIS is one of these home study institutions, with which you can get training in whatever field from home.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Most computers in the '80s were 8-bit if I am not mistaken. The only one I know of that was 16-bit was the Commodore Amiga, and that was the most sophisticated computer I know of from this decade.

The first commercial web browsers weren't in development until 1989. Commercial businesses were using BBS, and the U.S. Military was the only party using the internet back in the '80s as far as I know.

This should shed some light on the subject:

https://www.pewinternet.org/2014/03/11/world-wide-web-timeline/
https://www.history.com/topics/inventions/invention-of-the-internet
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:48 am
@JGoldman10,
I can give you voice coaching. I've acted and I'm a qualified Drama (and English,) teacher.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
I'm in the U.S. and you're in the U.K. How is that going to work?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
You could phone or Skype me.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
I was also trying to get Blatham to help me with a handful of threads I posted about anything pertaining to producing and funding comics and animation.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you can get funding good luck. I've never got any for anything

I've just finished my play, (literally, just now,) and I've emailed a theatre company.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Actually re funding I think you're looking in the wrong place. You want to make Christian based children's comics, so why not contact Christian groups?

Your characters might be what some missions are looking for.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The reason I don't really keep up with current events and trends because I don't really have the time to do that.

Sorry to hark back, but I don't remember that being the case when you first came on A2K. I'm sure you started a thread about the killing of Osama Bin Laden.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Art Instruction Schools is/was an American art correspondence course institution that offered a home study program, The Fundamentals of Art, to help you learn how to be a better artist. They covered cartooning and illustration. I wanted to learn how to be a better cartoonist and illustrator using their program.

Since the school is officially closed now, I can probably just order their study materials off Ebay, or Amazon, or any other online retailer that sells their study materials.

I'm going to call AIS again and see if I can get someone on the phone to talk to and ask them if I can order they study materials off their website.

There are/were a few other American art correspondence course institutions that offered similar programs - Famous Artists School and the Landon School of Illustration and Cartooning. There might be others but I don't know of any, and I can't find info of any.

Are there any similar institutions, past or present, that offer and/or have offered home study programs in the U.K.?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
I imagine there probably are, but I'm not an artist, I'm a writer.

I can't draw and my handwriting is messy.

You're asking the wrong person.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Okay. What about writing correspondence course institutions in the U.K.?

There was one in the U.S. called the Famous Writers School, but that institution was shut down due to a big controversy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Writers_School
izzythepush

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:48 pm
@JGoldman10,
I've not tried any to be honest. I did my degree in English and that was it.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
Okay.
0 Replies