Is "Brexit" something Americans should be concerned about?

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 12:42 am
Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. Brexit is the scheduled withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. Is this something Americans should be concerned about? How will this impact the U.S. in any way?

Please help- thank you.

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 01:31 am
Hopefully, someone besides Izzy will respond to this thread. There are other people from the British Isles here on Able2know who can respond to this thread and answer the thread question.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 06:19 am
Why would anyone else from the UK answer you after they've seen the way you've spoken to me?

Nobody wants to be called an English snob just for trying to help you.

Brexit is quite big, we're all concerned with how it will affect us, nobody is concerned about how Americans will be affected.

You'd probably have better luck asking other Americans how they think they'll be affected.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 06:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, as The UK is an ally of the United States, and the economic effects of Brexit will not only affect Europe but also the United States, which may be heading towards a new recession due to President Trump's trade war with China.

According to the Washington Post: This matters to Americans because, according to the U.S. Department of Commerce, Britain is the single largest source of foreign direct investment in the United States, barely edging out Canada but well ahead of Japan, Germany, France and China. A smaller British economy will inevitably mean less investment abroad, including in the United States, where more than 1.25 million Americans work for British companies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/08/19/why-brexit-is-strategic-disaster-united-states/
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 06:50 am
@Rebelofnj,
The biggest issue over here is Trump's lauded trade deal. We're worried about interference in the NHS and food standards. There are something like 250 food additives that are currently banned over here but allowed in America, chief being chlorinated chicken.

The other huge concern is certain GM items which are not deemed safe in the EU because the testing is inadequate, notably soya.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, my old boss, who was raised in the UK, had complained about the processed food in the US.

Basically, there is not many winners regardless of Brexit's outcome.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 09:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
Trump raised all of the above during a state visit which completely wrong footed the likes of Boris Johnson who had been peddling a load of nonsense about a sweetheart deal.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
There are people from the British Isles here on this site besides you. I have English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh friends on other sites.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:14 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm sure you do, but as far as A2K goes we've all had a meeting and decided that you're a rum sort. And I'm the only one qualified to deal with rum sorts.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
You mean you think I'm peculiar.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:29 am
If you ever need a Lone Star Beer sort from Texas, I am here for you.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:55 am
@JGoldman10,
Don't put words in my mouth. I mean what I said, no more no less.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:56 am
@edgarblythe,
That's very kind of you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 01:29 pm
@izzythepush,
A "rum sort" is a peculiar person, an eccentric, or in colloquial Irish slang a "quare fellow". I looked it up.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 01:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well done, it's not so hard when you put your mind to it. I knew you could do it.

Seriously though, you're too quick to anger, you get very cross very quickly, often without good cause.

I know not everybody takes your thread titles as seriously as you'd like, but most leg pulling is good natured and not at all malicious.

It can't be doing you any good either, getting so angry all of the time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 06:16 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I have English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh friends on other sites.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 06:18 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

A "rum sort" is a peculiar person, an eccentric, or in colloquial Irish slang a "quare fellow". I looked it up.

Wait! Wait! SO? You can do your own research for yourself? Miracles DO happen!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
What about the way YOU act? I don't call you a "British snob" just because you're trying to help me. It's your whole attitude and demeanor towards me. It SUCKS. You have been condescending and patronizing towards me at times.

YOU do not represent all people from the British Isles, especially other patrons of this site.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
I admit that in the past I did overstep the line, but not since you've returned. I have genuinely tried to give good advice, and have only responded negatively when you've started using hate speech.

The point remains that you are still using insulting language based on my nationality while I have never insulted your race or nationality.

You don't like home truths, and the simple fact is you need to get your finger out and actually produce something instead of looking for reasons not to work.

There are very few people from the UK on A2K and I doubt very much that any would want to deal with you after they've seen your Anglophobia in action.

Btw, this thread is incredibly selfish. We're the ones dealing with Brexit not you, and this, like so many other of your posts, shows you're really only interested in yourself and how things affect you.

How would you like it if you were battened down due to an approaching storm which threatened to devastate most of your surrounding area, and I asked you how this was going to affect me, if I should take a brolly out next Thursday?

If one were to categorise your behaviour, Christian is not an epithet that springs to mind.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Sep, 2019 12:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Btw, this thread is incredibly selfish. We're the ones dealing with Brexit not you, and this, like so many other of your posts, shows you're really only interested in yourself and how things affect you.

I'm not sure how JGoldman's lack of empathy of others will transfer and effect how he writes his stories (comics or animated shorts wise).
Quote:
If one were to categorise your behaviour, Christian is not an epithet that springs to mind.

A Christian who lacks proper introspection, compassion and empathy towards others not like him? Not really a good Christian at all.