Whoopie...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:04 pm
Though, CI, I have my doubts.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:50 pm
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that Julio made it! (I confess to reading this thread mostly just to find out.)

Hubby, son and I will be driving through Santa Fe on our way to Pagosa Springs (staying in a friend's cabin there) & Durango in early August. We wanted the boy to see Mesa Verde...but...is Chaco Canyon a better experience?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 12:46 am
Eva
Eva, Albuquerque is not a very long drive from Sante Fe. About 60 miles. Can you make the detour when you are traveling?

BBB
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:49 am
Diane & dys

Just wonderful to share your travels & adventures with you! Very Happy More please, more!

And I can't tell you how relieved I am about Julio! How could that poor, distraught woman ever leave without him? Phew!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:51 am
as Roger so tactfully put it, Julio's owner is a dingbat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:14 am
did you have hookups at the camp or was it "dueling gennies"?

I saw a story about new "fuel cell" generators that have been developed for RVs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
services at chaco are 2 one-holers and 2 two-holers. (there is some drinking water available at the visitor center) we did run our gen a couple of times for the ac.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:23 am
Re: Eva
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Eva, Albuquerque is not a very long drive from Sante Fe. About 60 miles. Can you make the detour when you are traveling?

BBB

I don't know. It's tempting, though! Will ask them and see if there's time.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 10:15 am
Re: Eva
Eva wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I don't know. It's tempting, though! Will ask them and see if there's time.

Eva, WOO HOO!

Just let us know so we can arrange a gathering in honor of your visit. We even will include the dogs.

BBB Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
Eva - chaco and mesa verde are very different sites, in my opinion.

Mesa verde involves a somewhat scary drive up the side of a mesa with stone walled cliff dwellings hanging below the rim in a horizontal crevace of a small canyon wall atop the mesa itself. It's a more awsome experience - where you experience actual awe.

Chaco is in a broad basin with canyon walls at a distance (relative to many of the canyons I've been in). It's a different culture - these people built their buildings of the same stone, but they were free-standing and had sunken kivas (as dys' pix show). A more sublime experience, with amazing beauty.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:14 pm
Why not see both, Eva? If you do go to mesa verde, stop in cotez, co, and eat at the brew-pub there - it's fantastic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
as long as you are in Cortez take a 30 min drive thru Monument of the Ancients, but really, for a first time wow factor go to Mesa Verde.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
I can't remember, does mesa verde display petroglyphs? I have to say that I wasn't wowed at M.V. But, maybe that's because I was still rattled from the drive up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 09:01 pm
I don't recall hearing of any, and certainly never saw any, but the little museum is world class. Oh, and try the Navajo taco if you're at mesa verde.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:29 am
I've been to Mesa Verde a couple of times, but the 11 year old son hasn't seen it yet. I do think he'd be awed. Half the fun (maybe more) of traveling now is watching his reactions to places I know. I can hardly wait to watch his face when we drive from Silverton to Ouray through Red Mountain Pass. It's like being on another planet up there. Oh, and the Great Sand Dunes! I'm laughing already!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 01:37 am
Lovely reading all this. Very Happy There's something about the names: New Mexico, Albuquerque, Sante Fe, that (from a long, long, way away) induces feeling of intoxication & magic .... Perhaps I wonder of the spirit of Georgia (O'Keefe) still lingers & hovers around these places? Smile Anyway, I would just LOVE to to be there one day ... <sigh>
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 12:47 pm
D.H. Lawrence also had a small house in rural New Mexico.
0 Replies