How many countries have you visited?

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:00 pm
I just reviewed my travels and the countries I have visited since my overseas assignment in Morocco with the US Air Force when I was able to visit Madrid, Paris, and London. That's when the travel bug bit my behind, and it's been the motivator that got me involved in world travel.
I just made a list of the countries I have visited since the late 1950s after my discharge from the USAF, and now count 82 countries.
I really don't have a "favorite," although in my early traveling days, I did visit England several times.
Where have you travled, and do you have a favorite?

edgarblythe

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:29 pm
I wish I could say I have been to all the places I ever wanted to visit. But, aside from visits to Mexico, the other places I have visited were when I wore the uniform of a sailor. Philippines, Hong Kong, Japan, Midway Island. It afforded a glimpse of Canada as we came down the coast from the Aleutians to Seattle. I have always wanted to revisit those places and to tour Europe and then see Egypt and Cuba. Ah, well. Congrats for all you have seen, CI.
0 Replies

dlowan

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
England, Scotland, France, Germany, Japan, Singapore, the USA, Canada and New Zealand.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
No way near as many as you Phineas.
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 03:15 am
Countries:
Sweden
Denmark
France
England
Canada

Favorite: USA

American States visited:
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Maine
Vermont
Florida
Texas
Michigan
Indiana
Minnesota
Wisconsin
California
New York
Nevada
Colorado
Nebraska

Favorite City to visit: New York City
Favorite City to live in: Boston
City that will always be in my heart, night & day: Chicago
djjd62

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:14 am
if the united states still counts as a country, 1
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 07:42 am
Up until these last 3 months, it'd been the same international count for decades. Outside of the USA, I had visited Canada, Mexico, US Virgin Islands, British VI (Gorda) , St Matrtin/ San Maarten, Guadeloupe, and some of the British VI, St.Thomas and St. John) and several central Caribbean islands, and Aruba.

In the last 3 months , I've visited NZ (north and south islands) for 8 weeks, the. Perth, Australia, South Africa for 8 days and Zambia And Botswana briefly.

In fact, we're waiting right now for a flight at JFK now to return to our new home in Sarasota Fl after our visit to SA and Zambia (Victoria Falls). I'll be sorting over 1000 images for weeks. Saw the Big 5 wildlife critters and got them to pose too.
McGentrix

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 07:47 am
US, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Scotland, England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Luxembourg and the Vatican.

Plan to visit Japan in 2020.
Ragman

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:19 am
@Ragman,
Pardon my Confusion...sorry was typing too quickly. The visit was to the UK VI of Gorda. US VI is St. John and St. Thomas.
0 Replies

George

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:29 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
. . . Plan to visit Japan in 2020.
Which cities?
ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Canada for only a few days, alas; Mexico many times, sometimes for weeks; Guatemala for something like a week; Italy for three wonderful times, twice for a month and once for two weeks. Have been to Heathrow Airport and flown over the Alps, but nah, that doesn't count.

Otherwise, my traveling has been the armchair type with an untold number of books being devoured.
McGentrix

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:24 am
@George,
George wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
. . . Plan to visit Japan in 2020.
Which cities?

Not sure yet. Tokyo for sure. I am thinking of 1 week in Tokyo and 1 week traveling around. Maybe a train tour group or something.
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:29 am
@ossobucotemp,
If you flew over the alps, it counts. I flew over Mt Everest, and I count that. Also, according to the century club, if you were in an airport in any country, that counts as a "visit."
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:36 am
@McGentrix,
I'm sure you'll read all the recommendations before you go, but to keep your food cost down, don't eat in the hotel. Eat where the natives eat; that'll keep your food cost down.
On our first visit to Japan in the early 80s, we ate at a sushi bar where they had those rotation boats with sushi on them. They now have those in California.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
if you were in an airport in any country, that counts as a "visit."

How can that count as a visit?
I think it can only count as a visit if you are not one bit interested in the country itself. Visiting an airport certainly does not give you the slightest impression of a country.
I know a lady - passed away years ago - who did not speak any foreigh language, had never travelled outside Sweden and hardly in Sweden either.
She read a lot and liked to listen to radio programs as she then could also work wtth her hands at the same time-
Her knowledge about other countries, their traditions and history was very impressive.
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:14 am
@saab,
Century Club counts airport transfers. I do too.
http://maphappy.org/2016/01/the-politics-of-country-counting/
izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
Flying over though? If I include that it adds Canada most of Europe and a big chunk of North Africa, none of which I've actually been to.
0 Replies

SinLeviathan

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:29 am
Just 2. my home country America and then Mexico.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:30 am
@saab,
Well, we get to have different opinions; to me, I don't count Heathrow or flying over the Alps. We were stuck in Heathrow several hours and I'd would have liked to spend time in England in a separate trip that never materialized. At one point I was fairly knowledgeable about many english gardens from my landscape design course work, which was really a pleasure to study. Then there's France..

Ah, don't get me going, as I could name a lot of places I'd love to go to.
Which reminds me, Coogan and Brydon are food journeying again, this time in Spain. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/01/steve-coogan-rob-brydon-the-trip-to-spain-is-last-of-the-summer-wine-for-guardian-readers
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:35 am
@ossobucotemp,
I visited Kew Gardens many decades ago, and still remember seeing paintings by an English lady that traveled the world.
Found this: http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/explore/attractions/marianne-north-gallery
0 Replies