dyslexia and diane do Chaco Canyon

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:08 pm
Walter, You're talking about "reproduction" of machinery. LOL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:08 pm
No matter how "sexy" a Porche might look, it's still made out of metal.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:58 pm
Well, dys and Diane, the pictures were beautiful and I remember having seen the facts about Chaco some time back.

Since an RV(motor home) is self contained, it's not really called primitive camping. Often I miss our RVing days, but a motor home can be as expensive as a house.

All three of you look marvelous!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:07 pm
I suppose if the wife approves our move to New Mexico, we can afford a house and a motor home, but I know 100 percent positive it ain't gonna happen.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
Leave Silicon Valley for all of NM except Santa Fe, you can afford a motor home with swimming pool and tennis court.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:35 pm
roger wrote:
Leave Silicon Valley for all of NM except Santa Fe, you can afford a motor home with swimming pool and tennis court.

You probably meant to say that once you sell your house in Silicon Valley, you can afford to buy all of NM except Santa Fe.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:37 pm
That's right; a shack in California can generate a castle elsewhere, hyperbolically speaking. Regarding your Porche, Dys: be still my heart (even though cars don't generally turn me on).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
Sure, Thomas. Just don't bother trying to corner the mineral rights in San Juan County.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 05:15 pm
I make more money buying mine dumps.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 05:21 pm
This has been my "dream" car since I was a young man. I even told my kids when they make their first million, this is what I want. Wink
http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/features/specs/overview_engine.jsp&modelCode=CLK500A&class=05_CLK&spec=0&menu=3_0
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 07:28 pm
I was fixed up by my cousin and her hub way back. Actually it was nice of them, though they didn't have much clue of my romance life, complicated at the time. I've only had a few blind dates, all of them pffffft, but this one I mention involved a fellow with a red porshe. First of all, he wanted to take me skydiving (oh, ****, no). Then he wanted to bring me a new antenna (he might have, I can't remember.). The porche ride involved mountain careening and he wasn't very good at it, at least to me, as we tended to skitter off of the upside cliffs.

Sheesh.

I preferred, then, my porshe ride in one of those old bubblies -

an md resident at one of our christmas parties had to get to a moonlighting job and asked me and a married md who also worked with us to go along quite a freeway romp across LA (I admit to a crush on the married md). Damn, he was a good driver. That turned out to be one of those allnight seventies talkathons (no patients showed up, but we were reasonably sober for obvious reason).

I was also stuck from 2 a.m. to 5 a.m. in mid desert with a woman friend and her white '65? porshe... we had gone to Mammoth to ski over thanksgiving after work on a Thursday night, and were coming home from that wild to me experience (er, loner at the north pole, for me, and skibunny from Aspen for her). Two flat tires, involving a tow...

Now, years later, I got to ride around a bit with dys and I loved the car and he says he'll let me drive it. Yelp, dys, yes, I'd love to. Perhaps not just in your immediate block, in case I hit the pedal too fast.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:36 pm
Tak, the answer to your question is "Yes, usually," as far as a river is concerned. There are really washes, which have water when there have been good rains, but which are mostly dry the rest of the time. A thousand years ago, the weather was somewhat wetter, so they had enough water to grow some crops.

Many cultures during this period, including Chaco, knew about lunar phases, including the 18.6 year lunar cycle from major standstill to minor standstill and back to major. I haven't been able to find a good photo of a petroglyph showing the lunar cycle, but here is an interesting photo of the sun dagger found at Chaco:

Sun dagger--two lines bracketing the spiral indicate winter solstice.

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/images/Chaco%20Dagger.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:42 pm
On Sunday we were outside talking with some other campers when a woman came by with wonderful news: Julio had been found. He flew down and alit on a fire grill. The people had heard about Julio and went to the next camp to ask if his owner was still in the area. Those campers knew about birds and came over to keep Julio until they could find his owner. Julio nestled into the neck of one of the women, wanting human contact and safety. He was badly dehydrated and tired. Luckily his owner was still at the visitor's center, so she was able to reunite with Julio and take him home. It was the best news I'd heard in days!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:48 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
good grief I miss new mexico... :-(

me too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:50 pm
Sigh.........
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:57 pm
Meby dys and Diane needs to organize our next a2k gathering in NM. Wink hint, hint...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:58 pm
BTW, Diane, that was great news! It's a wonder Julio survived that cold and dehydration.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:00 pm
happy for julio and owner, what a bad couple of days for her, and (who knows? possibly exciting or frightening or both for julio...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:05 pm
Yikes, wait til I get there....

(er, please)

but then, hey, help me unpack...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:21 pm
Great news for Julio. He still has a dingbat for an owner.
0 Replies