Does Jesus qualify as an idol?

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:34 am
Does Jesus qualify as an idol?

In reading the various definitions of idol, I think Christians have turned Jesus into the type of idol that he railed against.

We all idol worship in some sense. If you can think analogically you will agree. Here is a poet that might help you do that. He has a good message but he himself ends in being an idol worshiper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZg1ZflpJs&list=PL-y1um9fkZCacsUPHZpHsjqdcC4JzZyeT&index=5

Commandment #3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.”

Christians put Jesus before Yahweh.

Commandment #4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above,

Christian churches are full of carved images.

Gnostic Christians also have an ideal, but we do not let ourselves be subsumed by our own creations and remain perpetual seekers of the best god/rules and laws to live by, as Jesus taught.

I see Christians and Muslims as idol worshipers.

Is Jesus a Christian and Muslim idol and are they idol worshipers as most theologians say?

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 7
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 01:55 pm
@Greatest I am,
If the Christian religion is based on the teachings of Jesus why is the old textment, the Jewish bible, included in the Christian bible?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 02:01 pm
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 09:41 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

If the Christian religion is based on the teachings of Jesus why is the old textment, the Jewish bible, included in the Christian bible?

I do not think I said such a thing anywhere.
I know Jesus refers back to the O.T. for some of his policies. His no divorce policy for women for instance as well as that disgusting substitutional punishment policy.

I did say that Christians put Jesus above Yahweh and thus break the first commandment.

He is glorified in church while Yahweh is never mentioned.

It is always, Jesus saves, while they ignore that it was Yahweh's who unjustly decided he would change his good policy of punishing the guilty to punishing the innocent.

Regards
DL
HabibUrrehman

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:30 pm
@Greatest I am,
Or it is possible that Jesus PBUH was not crucified and someone else was crucified in his place. Thus it appeared that Jesus has been crucified but in reality God lifted him up to come back again to fight against anti Christ near end times.
Greatest I am

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 12:23 pm
@HabibUrrehman,
HabibUrrehman wrote:

Or it is possible that Jesus PBUH was not crucified and someone else was crucified in his place. Thus it appeared that Jesus has been crucified but in reality God lifted him up to come back again to fight against anti Christ near end times.

Given that the bible has been altered so much over time, who can say.

Gnostic Christians and the intelligentsia have always known that it is not intelligent to read myths literally.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental trash that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

Regards
DL
HabibUrrehman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 12:39 pm
@Greatest I am,
Religion is not just being nice to your neighbor. It is much more than that. It is the way of life and it is important to know who determines that way of life. In other words who God is.
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 12:07 pm
@HabibUrrehman,
HabibUrrehman wrote:

Religion is not just being nice to your neighbor. It is much more than that. It is the way of life and it is important to know who determines that way of life. In other words who God is.

Strange that you would go to a genocidal and infanticidal god who is akin to Satan to learn how to live.

Who is your second favorite character to learn from? Hitler or Stalin?

Have you seen this well done video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNcRXeCzpno

Regards
DL
0 Replies