Allergy Test

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:16 pm
Anyone had an allergy test? The one where they prick or scratch your skin with a needle and put the allergen on it? I have one on Saturday and am really nervous about it. How long does it take? Does it hurt? I am so afraid of a bad reaction.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,418 • Replies: 58
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
I had a few really thorough ones when they were trying to figure out wtf I went deaf. Some kind of a grid on my back. I don't remember it as being much of anything -- vaguely unpleasant, not awful by a long shot.

The decision was that I WASN'T allergic, though, so possible it's different if there is a reaction.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:24 pm
I am just freaking out that I will find out very unpleasantly that I have this obscure allergy to something and go into anaphylactic shock and die right there.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:26 pm
My son had it done when he was about ten years old. It was unpleasant because of the scratching with the needle, but he didn't scream and he would have been willing to scream! Wink He had what they considered huge reactions -- that is, some of the test spots swelled & reddened but that didn't seem to bother him either.

The blocks of testing weren't pretty however, so don't plan on showing off your arm in public right afterwards.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:29 pm
My parents are coming into town this weekend. I hope I am not a miserable bitch all day.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:30 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I am just freaking out that I will find out very unpleasantly that I have this obscure allergy to something and go into anaphylactic shock and die right there.

Nah, they'll have some adrenelin ready to shoot straight into your heart. Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:32 pm
My son just had the back test. Turns out he's allergic to dust mites, mold and cats.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:38 pm
McGentrix wrote:
My son just had the back test. Turns out he's allergic to dust mites, mold and cats.

Was it bad?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:40 pm
Piffka wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Nah, they'll have some adrenelin ready to shoot straight into your heart. Very Happy

Shocked Confused Sad http://www.mazeguy.net/spooky/skull.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:41 pm
http://www.mazeguy.net/expressive/faint.gif

I am really freaking out about this and I don't know why.

I am such a baby.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:44 pm
Geez, Bella. I just asked him and he remembers it hurting... he says he can't remember which was worse, the poking with the bottle-opener stabber (??) or the hypodermic. He said they tested each allergen twice. And now he says he didn't scream because he's not a wimp.

I'm sorry. You'll be ready for and deserve a wonderful treat afterwards.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
You're right...need....something...I guess I will have to go shopping after. Nothing else to do.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 01:51 pm
There's always chocolate!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:33 pm
I've been through the testing protocol three times.

Depending on how many allergens they're testing you for, and how many you're allergic to - it can either be a not dreadful experience or pretty icky.

Since the testing takes place in a setting where they know all about allergies and their reactions, I wouldn't be too concerned about going into anaphylactic shock. This is what they know about.

The scratch test itself has never bothered me too much, until it got to the point where the reactions started before they'd finished the scratches. You do need to be prepared for some significant discomfort if they're doing a lot of tests, and you're allergic to a 2+ level on more than a few of the allergens.

Do you know if they'll be reading the results right away, or if you'll be coming in another day for the reading? Pray for some day readings - then you can take drugs when you get out. Otherwise, you get to agonize til they do the readings Evil or Very Mad - no drugs, no scratching, no ointments to relieve the swelling and itch.

Have some ice packs ready to go. They're often the only form of relief you're allowed if it's a separate reading day.

<edit for spelling>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
Yikes! I don't know...they didn't tell me. I am going to call tomorrow (they were closed today) to find out what is going on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:51 pm
Are you being tested for seasonal allergies?

Did they give you information about meds not to take before you go?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 03:00 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Are you being tested for seasonal allergies?

Did they give you information about meds not to take before you go?

Yeah I can't take my Allegra for 5 days before or my asthma meds 24 hours before. The reason I am being tested is because I was prescribed Allegra by my doctor many moons ago because he "thought" that I had allergies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:48 am
Didja find anything out?
Are you pregnant?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:51 am
Yes Bella, how did it go?

I remember having major reactions to my scratch tests, but it didn't affect my asthma, my back and arms just itched like mad. Or like a dozen mosquito bites.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:13 am
the allergen grid isnt bad. It is just ANNOYING AS HELL.
Depends on what you are being tested for, it can be 16x16x10 or 5x5x2... ( grid size )
The amounts they put on your skin are so small that it wont cause you alot of harm at all. And yes, they do have an epipen RIGHT there.. if you need it you get it, no questions asked.
When it is all over, your back ( or arm ) is going to look like you got a series of mosquito bites in a strange pattern. Depending on your reaction to these allergens, it could get worse... but that should give you an idea.

If you want it reduce the reaction, add alcohol to the bumps asap, and do it again a few hours later. It dries out the liquids , puss, and causes the circulation around the spot to speed up a bit and will reduce the swelling..

or , you can just suck the puss out yourself.
either way..

hahahaha
( yeah, im a sick-o )
0 Replies