Allergy Test

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:18 am
oops.. i posted a long winded answer.. before reading everything else.
>sigh<
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:29 am
Test isn't until Saturday.....they said it should take 2 to 3 hours!!!! ACK!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:48 am
Shewolf.... suck it out? yuck!

Good luck, Bella Dea. I'd suggest the alcohol method. Drink some, then dab some.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:49 am
Part of that time is the waiting-around-to-see-what-happens time. Bring a book! And please let us know how it goes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:06 pm
mac11 wrote:
Part of that time is the waiting-around-to-see-what-happens time. Bring a book! And please let us know how it goes.

I know...I just wish it didn't take so darn long. My parents are coming into town and I don't want to be sitting around the allergy office all morning!

I will let you know what i am allergic to. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
the actual test only takes about 40 minutes. Mac is right.. it is a HUGE waiting game. Wich, is a good thing. Imagine if you were seriously allergic to something... but you didnt find out until you got home because they released you 5 minutes after the test was done!

i bet you are allergic to me! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:55 pm
shewolfnm wrote:

i bet you are allergic to me! Laughing

Oh no.....never.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:01 pm
take a vicodin before you go to your allergy test.
Being a little loopy never hurt anyone.. it DEFINATLY wont hurt then! haha

Or take piffka's advice
" dab a little, drink a little "
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:01 pm
Maybe you should cancel it... everybody is going to be bringing their kids in there and you're going to catch something. Can't you take the time off work and go during the week? Come to the office late some morning???? <Evil twin at work Very Happy>

What does it matter which allergen bothers you as long as the Alegra works?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
Piffka wrote:
Maybe you should cancel it... everybody is going to be bringing their kids in there and you're going to catch something. Can't you take the time off work and go during the week? Come to the office late some morning???? <Evil twin at work Very Happy>

What does it matter which allergen bothers you as long as the Alegra works?

Well, it doesn't seem to be working as well as it should and I've never been tested so...perhaps there is something better for me out there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:18 pm
start eating some local honey.
that helps your body build up an immunity to the pollens as well.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:24 pm
Hope so and I hope it doesn't take as long as it might.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:27 pm
Ack! - no - no honey!

It can be really dangerous to someone with pollen allergies. Definitely wait to get an all-clear from the doc on that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
the actual test only takes about 40 minutes.

My last round of testing was close to 3 hours, with a 1 hour waiting period after, and then a return for reading the following day. I was allergic to over 100 items in that run Evil or Very Mad

100+ itchy spots that I wasn't allowed to do anything about for 24 hours. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
What did you do once you found out what you were allergic to, Beth.. Shots? Avoidance? Meds?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
the last one i had, i had to stop taking allergy meds for 3 days prior and 2 days after. i ended up with a series of red bumps on both arms and when my eyes started to swell up they said, we will have to finish another day. so after 3.5 hours, i had to go back for another 2 hours another day. then i still had the 24 and 48 hour readings which boy those dust mites get ya a few days later!!! Good luck bella! i think all allergy docs should have allergies and have to undergo the testing...they tell you to stop your meds for 5 days...don't they know what that does to some people!!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
I am feeling just ROTTON. I am tired, groggy, sniffly, runny, coughy, itchy (all over!!) and I just feel BLECK. I can't wait to get back on my meds, any meds!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:42 pm
piffka, I've done shots in 3 separate series. Total of about 20 years of shots. I'm about due for a full reassessment. Avoidance for a lot of things - which this year may mean gardening with a mask Confused It's been a very bad allergy season in eastern North America. Medication as well. Hamburger and I can't use a lot of the OTC allergy meds, so it's always a pain when we find one that works for us and it leaves the Canadian market.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:55 pm
Gads, Beth, that many allergies don't seem healthy. It sounds like you have this in common with your dad, but maybe both of you should move to a different climate?

Mr.P had awful allergies in Minnesota (he was known to get locked into scary sneezing spells) but they've cleared up since he moved here. His sister, on the other hand, can't even work in her garden in Atlanta. A person should be able to be outdoors and be happy (and eat honey.... yum).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:09 pm
<allegra never worked for me, nor claritin...>

<woman who is allergic to 64 things, heh>

I gave up on all the expensive stuff and take benedryl from costco at about $4.00 for what, 400 pills? well, lots.
I have found there are sine curves re that amount you need and what amount makes you sleepy. I haven't taken one in quite a while, and if I would, I bet I'd get sleepy. But one adapts over time, so when I was taking lots of antihistimines years ago, at least some of them didn't make me sleepy.

Over the years I have had periods of exacerbated allergic response. For the first bunch of decades, I was the sneeze queen. Then for some reason I stopped sneezing so much and started itching. In both cases I ended up handling it with benedryl as necessary, within the bounds of what they say is ok, and then I'd taper off. I of course prefer none, and I haven't taken one in months now.

I think one has times of increased sensitivity to stuff, once you are reacting to an allergen and are over some threshold of tolerance.
0 Replies