Are "vs. questions" and/or "vs. discussions" allowed here on Able2know?

JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 02:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Is comic book censorship, or censorship regarding any form of entertainment, an issue in your country?

Censorship is a big deal here in the U.S.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 02:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I want to produce my own toons and comics. I do not want some secular cartoon studio and/or comics publisher trying to impose their LGBTQIA agenda on me.

The LGBTQIA agenda IS a big thing now- Disney, Warner Bros. and other (major) cartoon studios are advocating that now, and so are major comics publishers like DC and Marvel. Even Archie comics is doing that:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48381835302_9920ec3128_o.png

This stuff wasn't going on when I, my younger brother and older sister were coming up, and when I was in art college over two decades ago.

At the time I was going to art school, when I was majoring in animation, I was not really thrilled with the prospect of having to move to Hollywood just to make toons for a living. I recall Warner Bros. had an animation production studio stationed in NYC but that was temporary. Both Marvel and DC were still in NYC around this time, and I did try to get job with DC by soliciting original material- comic book pencils and scripts- for a comic book series I wanted to produce. They turned it down.

I wasn't interested in working at Marvel. I don't like the way Marvel approaches doing comics- I prefered DC's way of doing that. I don't really particularly like Marvel, now that Disney bought them.
TheSubliminalKid

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Just for that shite I’m going to be even gayer
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Censorship is a big deal here in the U.S.

Not really in comics anymore. The Comics Code went defunct in 2011, after decades of declining relevance. Now, the publishers have their own internal rating systems and imprints so they can publish family rated works or adult titles.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I meant in other forms of entertainment.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I want to produce my own toons and comics. I do not want some secular cartoon studio and/or comics publisher trying to impose their LGBTQIA agenda on me.

The LGBTQIA agenda IS a big thing now- Disney, Warner Bros. and other (major) cartoon studios are advocating that now, and so are major comics publishers like DC and Marvel. Even Archie comics is doing that:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48381835302_9920ec3128_o.png

This stuff wasn't going on when I, my younger brother and older sister were coming up, and when I was in art college over two decades ago.

At the time I was going to art school, when I was majoring in animation, I was not really thrilled with the prospect of having to move to Hollywood just to make toons for a living. I recall Warner Bros. had an animation production studio stationed in NYC but that was temporary. Both Marvel and DC were still in NYC around this time, and I did try to get a job with DC by soliciting original material- comic book pencils and scripts- for a comic book series I wanted to produce. They turned it down.

I wasn't interested in working at Marvel. I don't like the way Marvel approaches doing comics- I prefered DC's way of doing that. I don't really particularly like Marvel, now that Disney bought them.

FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
This stuff wasn't going on when I, my younger brother and older sister were coming up

Except some of the characters in the Pride art I posted were around in the 80s and 90s, presumably during your childhood years. And the Comics Code was loosened in the late 80s to allow LGBT characters to appear in mainstream comics.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 03:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because of the First Amendment, government censorship is really limited on entertainment.

Meanwhile, the FCC has no control over the TV shows on premium cable or any streaming service.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 05:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's a big reason you don't see regular cartoons on broadcast TV anymore.
Rebelofnj

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 05:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Because more children watch cable and streaming than broadcast.

Animation is expensive. Broadcast networks are not going to produce them to a dwindling audience.

You have been blaming the FCC for years about this. Have you considered the changing television marketplace over the last 30 years?
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 05:58 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Because more children watch cable and streaming than broadcast.

Yes, and because the FCC stepped in and caused the broadcast networks to pull regular cartoons from their programming, and President Clinton signed some legislation regulating kids' programming. I know this.

Wait- the TV animation market is dwindling? Since when? I thought cable/satellite TV animation was booming.

I know the landscape of animation has changed since the '80s and '90s.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Yes I did consider that the animation marketplace overall has changed. That's why I want to produce toons and comics and showcase them online and capitalize off of them.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
You misread, again. Honestly, we have had this conversation multiple times across 2 years. You either forget easily, or you like repeating yourself.

To repeat with emphasis: Broadcast networks are not going to produce them to a dwindling broadcast audience.

The FCC regulations only affected cartoons on the broadcast networks, like ABC and the Fox network. It did not affect the cable networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon; they actually became more popular because of the regulations.

This should only worry you if you are planning to produce a children's animated show for a broadcast network. Except you have been clear many times over the last few years that you want to upload your show on YouTube or anywhere else online.

Why are you so focused on broadcast networks when you are planning to use the internet to launch your show?
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

The FCC regulations only affected cartoons on the broadcast networks, like ABC and the Fox network. It did not affect the cable networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon; they actually became more popular because of the regulations.

I know this. Regular cartoons are still shown on and produced for cable/satellite TV where the FCC can't touch them.

The FCC affected CBS. NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.

I was addressing the other people in this thread about this stuff. I wasn't targeting you.
JGoldman10

Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Since we are discussing this, which makes more money- cartoons shown in web video form, or comics shown in web video form?
Olivier5

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 04:51 am
@JGoldman10,
There used to be, until the 70's or so. Jean-Claude Forest's Barbarella helped change that, i think. But the first introduction of Marvel characters in the 1960's, by publishing house Lug, was repeatedly struck by a certain commission to "protect the youth". They had to redraw entire episodes. The beef was with semi-naked characters (the Surfer was given underwears for instance) or violence (guns in particular). Examples below.

Original US version:
https://s1.lemde.fr/mmpub/edt/zip/2016/06/03/141935023-adf0ae9e76ebe642fc5350bac2f8a30eb4bf7d56/images/hulk2.jpg
French censured version:
https://s1.lemde.fr/mmpub/edt/zip/2016/06/03/141935023-adf0ae9e76ebe642fc5350bac2f8a30eb4bf7d56/images/hulk1.jpg

Original US version:
https://s1.lemde.fr/mmpub/edt/zip/2016/06/03/141935023-adf0ae9e76ebe642fc5350bac2f8a30eb4bf7d56/images/nue1.jpg
French censured version:
https://s1.lemde.fr/mmpub/edt/zip/2016/06/03/141935023-adf0ae9e76ebe642fc5350bac2f8a30eb4bf7d56/images/nue2.jpg

izzythepush

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 05:16 am
Quote:
Norwich Pride: Gay cartoonist David Shenton on the decades after Stonewall

A cartoonist has captured life in Britain's LGBTQ+ community in every decade since the Stonewall riots.

David Shenton, 70, has been drawing since the 1970s and was a regular contributor to the Gay News and Boyz magazine, where humour was a key tool in the campaigning gay press.

The illustrator, who lives in Norwich, has depicted everything from the AIDS crisis, to section 28 and equal marriage - and shares how these moments impacted him and the wider gay community.

Reflecting on the past 50 years, Mr Shenton said: "I'm so proud that people are now happy and comfortable carrying LGBTQ banners and having a lovely, lovely time."

Follow the link for the video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-49124469/norwich-pride-gay-cartoonist-david-shenton-on-the-decades-after-stonewall
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 06:15 am
@JGoldman10,
Considering I never seen any successful/popular "comics shown in web video form", then animated videos are presumably more profitable.

Unless you are talking about motion comics (comics that are given some animation and voice-acting), then no, they are not popular.

DC has produced some motion comics for their stories like Superman: Red Son and Watchmen, but they only have a few thousand views.
https://youtu.be/FqOSmfYNg-g

Meanwhile, their traditionally animated videos, like the Green Arrow short, have millions of views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig
JGoldman10

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:40 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The FCC affected CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.

FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 27 Jul, 2019 11:42 am
@Olivier5,
Okay- what about the DC books?
0 Replies