Did I make a mistake by letting him go ?

jesfre

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Sozobe I messed up on that part where I had written a year into our relationship I meant this time around. Like this time we started dating again not when I was 8. sorry I should have put that but I was thinking faster than I can type. Oh and I don't feel like a slut because I didn't actually have sex with Craig but its just like Debra was you know getting to that point with what she was saying it just made me feel like she thought I was just a little tramp or something
0 Replies

jesfre

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:51 pm
Like this last time me and Craig dated we dated for 13 or 14 months and a year into this past time is when we stared experimenting sexual wise. There thats better written
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 07:54 pm
Thanks, jesfre - you can see why we reacted the way we did ... Bekaboo did catch that you might mean much more recently.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:45 pm
jesfre wrote:
Now debra_law has made me feel like I'm some kind of a Slut or something. I know I moved my relationship with Craig too quickley and thats why I stopped before I made the mistake of actually having sex with him. My education is very important to me also Debra I mean I make straight A's and everything. I get outstanding scores on my SAT's. I still do everything like a normal teenager would do. I think I kind of understand why I am like I am. I hate where I live. I feel as if my parents don't want me here. Well I know for a fact that my mom doesn't want me here because she told me that already. Could all of this be the reason why I moved so fast ? I am having a very difficult time understand all of this???? Oh and I forget who asked but I was having a sexual relationship with Craig when I was 12 years of age.

The SAT (Scholastic Achievement Test) is a national college admissions examination that measures verbal and mathematical reasoning skills. College-bound seniors take the test. You're only 13. I doubt that you have taken the SAT.

So. You were having a sexual relationship without actually having sex at the age of 12. Interesting.

I'm not trying to make you feel like a slut or a tramp. You're engaging in age inappropriate behavior by fooling around with boys. It hurts to feel unwanted by your mother, but you need to deal with that hurt in a constructive manner. Messing around with boys isn't going to make you feel loved and wanted. Just because some boy (or a 24-year-old) wants to mess around with your body, that doesn't mean he wants to be with YOU forever. Young men are generally driven by their hormones more so than any respect they might have for you as a person. Respect yourself.

Stop agonizing over relationships. You're too young to be involved in an adult relationship.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 08:53 pm
There are such tests called the SAT II tests, achievement tests for various subjects - http://www.css.org/cc_testing.shtml

I'm not sure if that is what I saw the reference to that I mentioned in my earlier post, but it sounds right.
0 Replies

jesfre

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:06 pm
Yes Ossobuco that is what I was talking about. See everyone always jumps to conclusions that I am lying about everything I say. I know its a pretty weird situation but I am telling the truth. If there is something you are unsure of that I have written just ask me and I can clear it up for you. Thanks for taking up for me Ossobuco ^_^
0 Replies

jesfre

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:08 pm
with that test though they send booklets to schools and everyone takes it yearly. I believed they called it our SAT's because its called something like Satinine achivement test. I take it everyear though and my teachers have always called it SAT's so I'm not sure about that one
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:12 pm
I am resisting the urge to lay a trap, I think Osso would not approve. :-) Again, bottom line is that while many things are off I don't care too much about whether this all is or isn't true, especially since it's difficult to confirm anything absolutely. Certainly, all of the backtracking and clarifications earns a certain amount of skepticism.

Do you have any remaining questions? I think we've been pretty universal in our approach -- don't worry about Craig, and if you're 13, stay the heck away from the 24-year-old. Focus on other parts of your life.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:46 pm
My children took standardized tests---I think called the P-SATs every other year through Middle and High school.

Not to say I buy jesfre's story,

or that I don't.

But, on that account--P-SATs--, she's correct.

But, no matter.

They are correct that you should stop being so wrapped up in men and experience yourself before you add a man in.

Think about college. Make fabulous plans. Enhance your relationship with the girlies.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:14 pm
Nods to Jesfre..
The early posts really threw us off.
However we come out on it, we all agree about developing yourself, your strong sense of self, before going off into attempts at adult relationships too soon.

Personally, when I was thirteen and somewhat of a stranger in a strange land, I read a lot. I still do; I am still learning and relearning about myself and other people and I am decades older. Reading gave me some perspective, or maybe I gave myself some perspective as I reacted to what I read. I don't have any particular book suggestions, but maybe someone else here does.

edit to say I am talking about fiction.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:17 pm
Jesfre -- I'm just jumping in here to tell you the reason some of us are so suspicious about your story. You see, people have posted here with made-up stories a lot in the past. We don't know why...sometimes they're just looking for attention, sometimes there are darker reasons...but we've been led on plenty of wild goose chases. So we're a little careful now about believing people. I hope that clears up things for you, at least a little.

You sound like a very nice person, by the way. I do agree that something must be wrong with a 24-year-old man to be pursuing a relationship with a 13-year-old girl. That's just not normal. And I think your relationship with Craig is something that you will always look back on fondly. You two were very close, weren't you. It's important to have good memories. But you were right, it was time to move on. You knew that in your gut, didn't you? That's called "intuition." Always listen to it. There's nothing wrong with moving on, it's perfectly normal. And healthy. Particularly at your age.

I wish you much luck and love in your future relationships, jesfre. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

jesfre

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:29 pm
Thanks alot you guys and don't worry I ended my realtionship with the 24 year old even though I do feel terrible. I know it probably all seemed a little weird but I was so desperate for help that I got onto the internet and looked for anyone to give me advice on what to do concerning the 24 year old and craig and thats how I stumbled upon this place. I know my posts were a little weird but I was trying to type fast and I was trying not to tell my entire life and everything I've ever done with a guy so that everyone could read it I just felt a little funny about it. But anyway I hope my next posts will be much happier ones and I thank everyone here for helping me and trying to understand me I appreciate that alot ^_^
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:37 pm
I hope you stick around jesfre! You sound like such a nice person, and you're trying so hard to do what you feel is right, even when it's tough. Good luck to you, and I'm sure when the time is right you'll find a great guy. Hugs!!!

Dora
0 Replies

jesfre

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:17 am
Thanks alot Dora ^_^
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
I think it's despicable that you're advising a child that she was probably sexually abused by her father (or someone else).

Sexual abuse is outrageous and intolerable. However, false allegations of sexual abuse are even MORE outrageous and intolerable. Those are the types of unsubstantiated allegations that can ruin people's lives. And now this kid is thinking it's possible: that maybe she has repressed memories and doesn't know what to think. If she needs therapy now, it's probably because you're the one who is planting allegations without a shred of evidence.

I see a child who is too eager to grow up, dating too young, and sneaking around with a 24-year-old adult male. She should be concentrating on her education. She should be developing her skills and knowledge. She should be working on becoming a well-rounded individual. Instead, she involves herself in adult relationships when she doesn't have the adult mentality necessary to balance a relationship with the rest of her life.

I think it's more despicable to NOT believe her, if she has been sexually abused, than it is to "falsely accuse" a particular adult.

Here are some of my reasons: I was NOT believed for many years, even as an adult, so I know how damaging it is. An adult can deal with allegations; a child doesn't have the equipment to deal with people telling her reality is not Real. Thus I believe if we err, we should err on the child's side, the defenseless side. Adults are more able to care for themselves.

I was NOT believed even in my 30's, because "false memory syndrome" became a popular fall-back (an excuse) for people who REALLY HAD abused children and were looking for an "out." How do you think that felt?

My parents accused me of being "sick" and "messed up" to save themselves. These are the very things I was told by my own mother when I was a child: "Only YOU are to blame... You just WANT to believe this... What made you dream this up?... How could you be so EVIL?... Who told you to say these things?... He's MY husband, not yours."

There are real repressed memories of child sexual abuse, Debra. There is sexual abuse of children going on all around us, all the time.

Repression, though scorned by pop psychology, is a REAL mechanism for dealing with whatever you cannot deal with right now... and children cannot deal with sexual abuse. They are a great deal more likely to employ this technique than adults are, because adults have other "outs."

You don't realize how damaging these memories can be AFTER they are repressed... and to tell her she "made it up," or this sexually activity is all her fault, is re-victimizing her, should she have been abused.

If she was sexually abused, it would explain why she's feeling sexual so young. If she was not, we have no explanation for her behavior.

She also mentioned her father was an alcoholic and hit her before he stopped drinking. Given these facts, yes, it is possible she was sexually abused. I never said she WAS.

It's not very likely a single post on a forum (my post) will cause her to go into therapy or falsely accuse someone. I have more faith in her abilities to discern the facts of the situation than that.

But, well, you're entitled to your opinions, as is Sozobe. But really, ladies, who do you think needs help more... children, or grown-ups?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:45 pm
Teen culture today: More than 50 percent of all teenagers are sexually active. The participants in this modern phenomena are becoming younger and younger. There are a ton of explanations for early experimentation with sex other than sexual abuse.

Your suggestion that this girl may have been sexually abused--and is repressing the memory--is a suggestion without any factual basis. It is a highly-damaging suggestion that can have toxic results and ruin lives.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:49 pm
Quote:
Your suggestion that this girl may have been sexually abused--and is repressing the memory--is a mere suggestion without any factual basis. It is a highly-damaging suggestion.

Yes, it is a mere suggestion, not an accusation.

Under the circumstances it is a valid suggestion. "Suggestion"--no more, no less.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:21 pm
Recovered Memories or Modern Witch Hunt?

Quote:
Many parents have been sued, and some are in jail. To quote the Wall Street Journal:

A decline in public respect for the presumption of
innocence is no minor matter. A society that lets a
notion like "recovered memory" gain such force that it
overwhelms its most basic judicial principles has waded
into deep and dangerous waters.[11]

Often clergy members have been accused, and one of the most celebrated cases of "recovered memory" was Steven J. Cook's allegations and lawsuit against Cardinal Joseph Barnardin of Chicago. On February 28, 1994, Steven Cook dismissed the case saying that his memories, which arose during and after hypnosis, were unreliable.[12]

Accused father Gary Ramona, of Napa, California fought back. Following recovered memory therapy, his daughter Holly made accusations that cost him his job and his marriage. He sued his daughters's therapists and was awarded $500,000.[13]

In research and therapy, as in life, there is always a danger of finding what you are looking for, whether it's there or not. Thus scientists take precautions when doing research, to avoid having their expectations bias their results. A drug would require double-blind placebo-controlled studies before being released. But repressed memory therapists fail to take these precautions, and no such tests were done on this kind of therapy before turning it loose on the public. The scientific tests that have been done since its release have not been favorable.[14]

Child abuse does occur, but it is being aggressively sought even when there is little or no evidence for it. There is a danger of crying wolf--we may return to a time when no allegations of abuse are believed. In response to this, the False Memory Syndrome Foundation was founded in Philadelphia in 1992.[15] It is supported by eminent psychiatrists and its task, according to science writer Martin Gardner, is "to combat the greatest witch hunt and mental health scandal of this half century."

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:44 pm
BorisKitten wrote:
If she was not, we have no explanation for her behavior.

One thing that was unclear and only recently was clarified -- not sure if you caught it -- is that the sexual stuff only started when she was 12. Still young, but not unheard of, by a long shot.

Personally, I have no idea what's up here -- well, I gave my uneducated guess, that's still about where I am. I completely agree that it's unlikely that a mention on a message board will do much -- but she did say, in response, "Hmmm that really makes me think." It was only because of that and because of one line -- the one I already quoted about ""Jesfre, I think your father (or maybe someone else) hurt you bad, probably a long time ago", after several more carefully-worded observations -- that I said anything.

Definitely worth having out there as a possibility -- I just get a little antsy when it is presented as more than a possibility.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 08:55 am
We sure don't have to agree on everything.... and I still count you, Debra & Soz, as my online friends.

Jesfre, I hope you're doing OK. Sounds like you're doing a little bit better now, which I'm really glad to hear.

Please keep posting, Jesfre, these folks can really be helpful when things are difficult.
0 Replies