Let's have a Hillary thread.

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:18 pm
A selfless politician is the ultimate oxymoron. (Unless it's a compassionate conservative that takes the gold.)
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:21 pm
Hillary's selfish because her husband had affairs. That's McGentrix's position.

Ummmm.........

Besides, it's been shown that the Republicans have tried to accuse Bill of affairs he never committed.

Remember the Arkansas state troopers claiming that Clinton would do things like stop off between official vistis to have quickies? The story turned out to be bogus, he never did it, and the state troopers admitted that the fellow behind the whole thing, an old enemy of Clinton's, offered them $100,000 jobs "in case they got into trouble from this".

Yeah, Clinton went out and got some on the side now and then, but he wasn't anything like they were trying to build him up to be either.

For that matter, Clinton saw Monica 14 times during their affair, over the course of about a year. Not much for an affair. But look how they built that up.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:37 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Hillary's selfish because her husband had affairs. That's McGentrix's position.

Ummmm.........

Besides, it's been shown that the Republicans have tried to accuse Bill of affairs he never committed.

Remember the Arkansas state troopers claiming that Clinton would do things like stop off between official vistis to have quickies? The story turned out to be bogus, he never did it, and the state troopers admitted that the fellow behind the whole thing, an old enemy of Clinton's, offered them $100,000 jobs "in case they got into trouble from this".

Yeah, Clinton went out and got some on the side now and then, but he wasn't anything like they were trying to build him up to be either.

For that matter, Clinton saw Monica 14 times during their affair, over the course of about a year. Not much for an affair. But look how they built that up.

Cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter if it was once or one hundred times. It shows someone inner character if they can't stay faithful to their spouse. It shows a lack or morals.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:01 pm
It is a measure of how much talk radio has taken hold of the public debate that an intelligent person such as yourself can proclaim such a ridiculous position and not expect to get laughed at.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, virtuallly nobody would maintain that position and expect to be taken seriously.

With all respect, your position is one I would expect of a 14 year old before they learned the ways of the world. Yet substantial numbers of adult people actually maintain this position.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:13 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
It is a measure of how much talk radio has taken hold of the public debate that an intelligent person such as yourself can proclaim such a ridiculous position and not expect to get laughed at.

With all respect, your position is one I would expect of a 14 year old before they learned the ways of the world.

Well I will say this, if my wife cheated on me there would be a divorce in the works. I can't help it that I took vows and will uphold them and expect the same of my wife. There is no excuse for stepping outside of marriage. If either one of us isn't getting out of the marriage what we thought it would hold then something needs to be said and then taken care of.

Next to the oath I took to protect my country I hold the oath I took with my wife to be the most important one in my life. Marriage is sacred.

Just because we don't hold the same moral values on marriage doesn't mean you have to insult me with a cheap age comment. I've been married almost 10 years and I think I know what the real world is about. A difference of opinion is fine cheap shots are uncalled for.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:22 pm
Blehhh so what if they got married for other reasons other than love....i really don't give a crap about their personal affairs.
The only thing i have against B. Clinton, was the sexual harassment suit and perjury. Now that was shameful, blame the media i suppose lol.
Allot of good things did come out of B. Clintons presidency.
Hillary had Allot to do with those good things.
Hillary had nothing to do with the scandal.
If not for the scandal, Clinton's presidency would have been almost perfect.(Granted you can not please everyone!)
I think most americans realize this, and want those times back. Hillary, if she runs, makes that possibility a reality.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:29 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Well I will say this, if my wife cheated on me there would be a divorce in the works.

As would be your right. but I cannot understand your wife's employer caring one way or the other.

Baldimo wrote:
I can't help it that I took vows and will uphold them and expect the same of my wife.

As is also your perfect right.

Baldimo wrote:
There is no excuse for stepping outside of marriage. If either one of us isn't getting out of the marriage what we thought it would hold then something needs to be said and then taken care of.

An admirable, idealistic thought, and I certainly hope it works out for you. But again, it is not going to affect my judgment to hire you, vote for you, or give you the contract to do the plumbing or electricity on my house.

Quote:
Next to the oath I took to protect my country I hold the oath I took with my wife to be the most important one in my life. Marriage is sacred.

Again, all these thoughts I have nothing against. I am just not going to vote for you because of it. I will vote for you or against you on my estimation of your ability to move the country/state/city in the right direction.

Baldimo wrote:
Just because we don't hold the same moral values on marriage doesn't mean you have to insult me with a cheap age comment. I've been married almost 10 years and I think I know what the real world is about. A difference of opinion is fine cheap shots are uncalled for.

It wan't an age argument at all. Manyof the people saying the same thing you are are in their 40's, 50's, or older. It is a ridiculous argument, and one that was raised by talk radio hosts in their never ending attempts to bring down Bill Clinton.

Before Clinton came to office, nobody talked about politicians' marriages. After Clinton came in, suddenly conservatives started trying to tell us that it wasn't the fact that he was putting people back to work, or cutting the deficit, or doing any of a number of other things-it's whether he is getting any on the side.

Heck, most of our Presidents were getting it on the side, but nobody made a big deal out of it. Clinton gets in-suddenly it becomes this big deal.

If examined, it is a ridiculous argument that flies in the face of history.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:41 pm
The only thing that bugged me was the actual legal issues, sexual harrasment is not legal, perjury is not legal. Cheating on your wife may be a moral issue, but adultry is not against the law.
I only had a problem with having a law breaker for president.
Practice what you preach!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:42 pm
I could careless if he cheated either, he should have told the truth under oath. No big deal in that. Personal or not he was held to the same standards as anyone else under oath.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:58 pm
Yes, I do believe it is better to follow the law.

Want to know why people let Clinton off the hook on this, by and large?

Because they didn't believe he should BE in that courtroom, answering questions about a consenting affair in the first place.

Yes, I know Clinton was obligated to answer the questions truthfully, regardless of the circumstances which put him there.

Nevertheless, the majority of people think, correctly, that Ken Starr's investigation was a perversion of the power of Congress. Starr started out investigating a land deal in Arkansas-a deal where people lost money in-and he ends up asking the president of the United States about how far he went with a willing intern.

A 21 year old college graduated intern who was supposed to just deliver the pizza, and decided instead to lift up her skirt in front of him and show off her thong panties. Love that harassment.

The same 21 year old college graduated intern who didn't want to rat Clinton out, but had to because for a "friend" she chose the loathsome Linda Tripp, who, posing as her confidante, recorded Monica's phone conversations and then led her to a lunch date where Monica was set upon by a pack of prosecutors talking about Federal offenses and how much trouble she was in.

Most of the public sensibly decided that if Starr, Tripp, and Lucianne Goldberg were the cure, they would gladly suffer the Clinton disease any day of the week.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:22 am
Ok, this link pretty much sums up how i feel about it without me having to type a bunch of stuff lol...
Granted...i do beleive clinton did allot of good things in his presidency...but i can't get past the lawbreaker side of it.
What does that say to society if he got off scott free and was above the law?
I thought this thread was about Hillary anyways...lol
http://www.coffeeshoptimes.com/barr1.html
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:56 am
escvelocity wrote:
Ok, this link pretty much sums up how i feel about it without me having to type a bunch of stuff lol...
Granted...i do beleive clinton did allot of good things in his presidency...but i can't get past the lawbreaker side of it.
What does that say to society if he got off scott free and was above the law?
I thought this thread was about Hillary anyways...lol
http://www.coffeeshoptimes.com/barr1.html

you're kind of enigmatic. coupled with being a briar, i think i like you & welcome to a2k. (bet ya feel really honored, huh? Confused ).

just curious. in light of watergate, how do you view the nixon presidency or reagan and iran-contra for that matter ?

it's not an ambush question, just seeing where your head's at...
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 03:21 am
Hmmm...i will have to research to give you my honest opinion...since i was very young when reagan was in office....and nixon was before my time...I don't like to post about things unless i am knowlegable about the issue. I have touched the surface on these presidency's,but i fear i am not informed enough to even comment about it at the moment.
Thanks for the welcome though Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:22 am
The A to Z Guide of Clinton Scandals
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:56 am
escvelocity wrote:
Hmmm...i will have to research to give you my honest opinion...since i was very young when reagan was in office....and nixon was before my time...I don't like to post about things unless i am knowlegable about the issue. I have touched the surface on these presidency's,but i fear i am not informed enough to even comment about it at the moment.
Thanks for the welcome though Very Happy

welcome for the welcome.

no worries on nixon/reagan, it was a passing thought.

but i suspect that with today's announcement that a guy has revealed himself to be the deep throat from the watergate investigation, we're all gonna hear a lot about it over the next few months.

we've got a couple of other kentuckians on a2k, revel and mysteryman, and i grew up in "luavull". what part of the state are you in ?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:17 pm

Hmmm...wouldn't be hard to rattle off 26 Bush scandals.
Is that the game we're playing here?

Can you please address these?
candidone1 wrote:

But would it be fair to say that every politician uses something or someone to make it up the ladder?
Kerry and Bush seem to be guilty as charged in that regard...how has HRC been bred differently?

What does her husband's infidelity or your speculative claims regarding on his infidelity have anything to do with her as a politician?

More importantly than how she got there is what is she doing now that she's there (wherever "there" is now or in the future).

Thanks.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:31 pm
There were earlier posts re the possibility of McCain running with a Democrat. I just read an interesting profile of McCain in the New Yorker. It covered a lot of ground, including Kerry's overture to McCain to run as VP on his ticket. Suffice it to say that McCain, free spirit though he be in some respects, is never going to run against a Republican.

Now McCain's mother, on the other hand, is amazing. She's pro-choice and as much as said that Bush is a lousy president. I'd vote for her!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:45 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
There were earlier posts re the possibility of McCain running with a Democrat. I just read an interesting profile of McCain in the New Yorker. It covered a lot of ground, including Kerry's overture to McCain to run as VP on his ticket. Suffice it to say that McCain, free spirit though he be in some respects, is never going to run against a Republican.

Now McCain's mother, on the other hand, is amazing. She's pro-choice and as much as said that Bush is a lousy president. I'd vote for her!

hi d'art. if you're referring to a post i put up, my thought wasn't so much that mccain would run against a republican (though that would be the case, now that you mention it), but rather the interesting possibilities of a bipartisan ticket.

it would give both parties a half way decent chance of getting their ideas out.

the other thing i've thought about would be a scenario where the guy with the most votes is president, the other party's nominee is vice president. that seems pretty fair to me. probably never happen though.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:49 pm
I seem to recall, DTOM, that it the early days of the US, the VP was the presidential candidate who got the second-highest vote total. Than it changed.

McCain is an interesting man, for sure. I admire his honesty. Right now, for instance, the right wing really hates him because he backed the judgeship compromise. Yet he still wants to run in 2008...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 01:59 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I seem to recall, DTOM, that it the early days of the US, the VP was the presidential candidate who got the second-highest vote total. Than it changed.

McCain is an interesting man, for sure. I admire his honesty. Right now, for instance, the right wing really hates him because he backed the judgeship compromise. Yet he still wants to run in 2008...

true. i think that the republican party is going to get a lesson that not all conservatives are ultra-right religious extremists. same way that the dems just learned that not everyone in that party is a card carrying member of a.n.s.w.e.r.

if we're lucky, 2008 will be at least the first step away from the 15+ year cycle of partisan hacking and a move towards seeing more what we have in common than not.

kinda makes ya wanna burn some incense, doesn't it ? :wink:
0 Replies