Amnesty International slams US

candidone1

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm
The classic right wing technique of diversion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

nope
0 Replies

McGentrix

I always thought that with all the real cases AI should be investigating that they wouldn't have time or manpower to investigate the lesser evils in the world.

It seems that AI and the media attention AI gets only like to focus on the sensational cases like Gitmo. Forget about the problems in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, N. Korea, China, Russia, Burma, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, Tibet, Thailand, Cambodia, etc...
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:42 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I always thought that with all the real cases AI should be investigating that they wouldn't have time or manpower to investigate the lesser evils in the world.

It seems that AI and the media attention AI gets only like to focus on the sensational cases like Gitmo. Forget about the problems in Saudi Arabia, Turkey, N. Korea, China, Russia, Burma, Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan, Tibet, Thailand, Cambodia, etc...

In the origianl post, which I appeal to yet again for those who may not have read it:

Quote:
"When the U.S. government calls upon foreign leaders to bring to justice those who commit or authorize human rights violations in their own countries, why should those foreign leaders listen?
---------------------------------------
"And if the U.S. government does not abide by the same standards of justice, what shred of moral authority will we retain to pressure other governments to diminish abuses?"
Amnesty's language was among the strongest it has used and represented a broader sense within human rights advocacy groups that the U.S. treatment of prisoners had diminished its standing.
"It's not because the United States is the worst human rights abuser in the world," said Kenneth Roth, the head of Human Rights Watch, in a telephone interview from New York, "but because it's the most influential."

I don't see any of the other countries talking out of the sides of their mouths like the US does, and has been.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
AI has a good cause at it's heart, but is really going after the wrong direction on this. Too many Americans believe, as I do, that prisoners in Guantanamo are being treated exactly as they should be. As prisoners. Just like the hundreds of thousands of other prisoners the US holds that have not been abused and tortured.

Imagine the small percentage of ultra left liberal maniacs being held as representatives of every liberal. How would that make you feel?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:55 pm
Maybe so, but we have an obligation to set an example.

I imagine that AI's job might be made harder when they appeal to foreign governments to change their practices and are met with "why should we, the US does it". Perhaps that is what they had in mind.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I imagine that AI's job might be made harder when they appeal to foreign governments to change their practices and are met with "why should we, the US does it". Perhaps that is what they had in mind.

The US does what??? Commit genocide on our citizens?? Allow our women to have no civil rights??? Do not provide for the poor, sick and elderly???

What is it exactly that other countries use as an excuse to commit the above acts??
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:01 pm
Leaving aside for now CJ's attempt to suggest by inference that Amnesty International is a cover for a partisan American group, i'd like to take note of this little piece of disingenuous absurdity by McG:

Captain Unamerican wrote:
Too many Americans believe, as I do, that prisoners in Guantanamo are being treated exactly as they should be. As prisoners. Just like the hundreds of thousands of other prisoners the US holds that have not been abused and tortured.

There is a big distinction between those who have been convicted of a crime by means of due process of established law, those who are awaiting their opportunity for due process of law and who have access to legal counsel and an opportunity for bail, an those held for years without due process of law, nor any immediate likelihood of due process. Futhermore, it is precisely because there is a great body of accusation of abuse and torture of "detainess" that Amnesty International cries shame at the mightiest nation on earth, and it is the more picquant given the hypocritical and self-righteous smugness with which the Shrub habitually portrays himself. The comparison of people in the prison system in the United States with those "detained" by the military, and in light of the administration's proven attempt to get legal advice which would authorize any treatment they saw fit--isn't simply absurd and disingenuous, it is either a product of errant stupidity, or seeks to cozen the rest of us as though we were stupid.

The reference to other nations' behavior is meaningless, it's a playground tactic of "oh yeah, well look what he did."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
woiyo wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

The US does what??? Commit genocide on our citizens?? Allow our women to have no civil rights??? Do not provide for the poor, sick and elderly???

What is it exactly that other countries use as an excuse to commit the above acts??

Amnesty International, I believe, deals with the specific issue of political prisoners and human rights for those who are held as prisoner. I don't believe they take on the things you mention above.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
Leaving aside for now CJ's attempt to suggest by inference that Amnesty International is a cover for a partisan American group...

Partisan American group? That is most certainly NOT what I was suggesting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:10 pm
Does AI claim any country as its' home base? We should release all the Gitmo prisoners there.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:27 pm
Well, the USA already sent several there, and none was charged yet: it's in London/UK
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Partisan American group? That is most certainly NOT what I was suggesting.

Then what was the point of bringing up conributions to Kerry's campaign? When Candidone wrote: "The classic right wing technique of diversion."--i considered that a gratuitous slur, and then i considered the source, and ignored it. However, i can see how someone would come to that conclusion without a better idea of why you bring up contributions to Kerry's campaign.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:36 pm
I think what I meant was fairly obvious. It shows that AI has an anti-Bush agenda.

Amnesty International's Web site states it is "independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion. It does not support or oppose any government."

How can they make that claim?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
I believe that it was an individual who contributed to Kerry's campaign rather than the whole Amnesty International as a whole.

Furthermore merely because people are of a different political position does not render anything that person says as being partisan. It could simply be the truth.

Other than the extreme term that has turned this into such a heated discussion the debate should be rather the charges that AI has made are correct or not.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
Quote:
Amnesty slams EU anti-terror lawSource

Amnesty's on a roll lately, aren't they? Wait........they haven't ticked off Fidel yet Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:40 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I think what I meant was fairly obvious. It shows that AI has an anti-Bush agenda.

Amnesty International's Web site states it is "independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion. It does not support or oppose any government."

How can they make that claim?

This was my point at the outset--that you are trying to make a connection between the choices which individuals make regarding campaign contributions and the activities of the organization. There is no basis for your contention, the actions of an individual are not automatically exemplary of an agenda by the organization for which the individual works.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:56 pm
Geesh, did you read the article? Back to the common sense thread...
0 Replies

mcst6079

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
dlowan wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
There is a huge difference between umbrage towards a smug national entity and outrage against an entity that engages in consistent and blatant human rights violations.

The notion that Gitmo is the Gulag of the 21st Century is absurd beyond belief, and indicative of the lack of credibility of Amnesty International.

Even if we assume the worse about Gitmo, it cannot compare to the hell holes existing in numerous nations around the world.

I can appreciate that human rights organizations feel compelled (independent of political bias) to criticize the US, disproportionatly, for so-called human right violation. After all, what possible chance might they have in influencing the really bad guys if they don't ever criticize the US?

Unfortunately, it seems to me, that these "officials" are far too gleeful in criticizing the US. And why might that be?

The jackals will always be snapping at the feet of the lion. Who really cares?

Where I find myself unable to keep the issue in perspective is when US citizens join Amnesty International in condemning the US.

I find that an odd reaction.

Firstly, as a citizen of my country I find its human rights violations way more galling than I find those of any other country.

I think there is an atavistic defensive reaction when one's country is criticised - but surely we can rise above that?

Amnesty has roundly and stingingly condemned Australia for its mandatory detention policies, for instance - and I thoroughly agree.

I don't give a damn if we are as bad as Soviet Russia or not - clearly we are not - but what the hell has that to do with it? What is wrong in my country is just plain damn wrong - and I want it condemned and I want my government to feel the sting of it, and my fellow citizens to put pressure on the overnment to right the wrongs. I do not try to shoot the messenger because the message is negative - eg I do not try to discredit Amnesty because it advocates for decent treatment for people in my country.

I think we tend to see any criticism of our countries as "gleeful" simply because we do not wish to face these things.

Frankly, as a citizen of a country that dares to considers it had the right to attack another, we had damn well better be behaving well ourselves.

I just don't get the defensiveness - well, I get it emotionally, but I do not think it ought to guide our reasoned responses.

there is nothing wrong with hating to see a wrong done. but the problem is fixated on one point of view, unable to see the bigger picture. Amnesty International uses the word Gulag, we should all condemn this and see it for what it is. I am not saying america is always right or never does anything wrong, but just put it in perspective in the world view. To fixate only on a few problems that might exist as if its a gulag, shows that your view is colored politically. Thats why many americans that are middle of the road get dismayed by this kind of talk, seems america can not do anything right, if we make one mistake, I can always count on the so called messengers to jump on it (unless its a democrat in office) and denounce us. With citizens like this, who needs enemies. You do have the right to criticize everything america does, but you also have to accept the consequences of how you are viewed when done during war time and seems you are taking the view of anti war to the point of many as anti american.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:39 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Geesh, did you read the article? Back to the common sense thread...

Yes, i did read the article. No part of it authorizes a contention on your part that Amnesty International is promoting an "anti-Bush" agenda. Yeah, you run along back to your "common sense" fantasy world, because your "common sense" comments here are adding nothing to the discussion.
0 Replies