What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:09 pm
The '80s and '90s were simpler times. What do you miss the most about these two decades?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 21,332 • Replies: 435

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 11:15 pm
I miss the cost of living back then. It didn't cost a lot to go grocery shopping back in the '80s and '90s.

It didn't cost a lot to service things like washing machines and dryers and to purchase them either.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 11:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
I miss Intelligent conversation...but I don't miss the exorbitant interest rates that exploded in the early 80's when the cap was lifted. I also miss the independent restaurants that existed before massive chains convinced bargain hunters that 30 cent meals were as healthy as home cooked.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 11:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
My youth.
ekename

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 01:32 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I miss the cost of living back then. It didn't cost a lot to go grocery shopping back in the '80s and '90s.

What was on your typical shopping list in the 80's?

How often did you shop?

Did you mostly shop in a corner store or a shopping mall?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 03:11 am
@ekename,
I came up in the '80s and early '90s. My mother told me the cost of living was much cheaper in the '80s and '90s. I am taking her word for it.

I didn't do any grocery shopping until I became an adult.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 07:04 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

My youth.

My youth wasn't a thing I appreciated properly when I had it.

What do I miss about the 80s? My lovely head of hair (though I treated it badly with those atrociously monstrous 80s hairdos). Other than that? Not much else.

I don't miss having nightmares about nuclear bombs detonating. I don't miss the soul crushing abuse from bullies during middle and high schools.

I don't miss the 80s pop music. Because I have access to it on Spotify. Love it a ton.

What I don't miss about the 90s? The hideously terrible hiphop blended pop and the forced marriage of country/pop music as well.

A lot of the so called 80s and 90s comedies (sitcoms and movies)? They aged poorly (or were just atrocious... even during their short cultural life spans).
Ragman

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 07:51 am
Relative job security
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 11:03 am
@JGoldman10,
Nothing.
Yesterday has gone - NOW is as good as it gets.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 01:14 pm
The newness of Rubik's Cube.
Decent interest rates for savings accounts and CD accounts
Women with shoulder pads
Clothing in colors which we're bright bright bright and which hadn't been used much of at all before.
The sound of typewriters
Rotary dial phones
Telephone books
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 01:58 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Women with shoulder pads

Sean Young really exemplified this look in Blade Runner, an exaggerated throwback to the 40's.
http://iwantigot.geekigirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/20080108_bladerunnerracheljpg.jpg
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 07:48 pm
Quote:
What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

Participating in (verbal) conversations on the phone as oppose to texting.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 08:11 pm
Vinyl record stores and CD stores.
Gynaa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 12:27 am
@JGoldman10,
Actually, i was born in 1996. So i don't know much about the 80s or 90s. but i really like the past classic movies and some tv serises. Compared to modern movies, the previous films were more meaningful and the plot was more exciting. the directors in 8os were more focus on what he/she desired to express not just making a profit or catering to the asethetics of the masses, so they were able to create some perfect art of works. And they were willing to spend more time and money on costumes and settings rather the salaries of actors/actresses or the expenses of special effects. What's more, the previous performers in those films were more professional. Though some of them didn't graduate from professional colleges, almost everyone would spare no efforts to improve their levels of expertise not caring more about thier appearance or lost in plasic surgeries like young people these days.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 12:24 pm
@Real Music,
I kind of miss VHS and VCRs, and video rental places. Video rental places are rare now.
I miss a lot of the retail chains that used to be around- a lot of them shut down and went out of business due to the retail apocalypse.
I miss video arcades. There are a few still around, they aren't as prevalent as they once were.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:14 pm
I miss being 44 years of age and being able to traipse around Colorado mountain paths.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:49 pm
I miss regular cartoons being shown on broadcast TV- weekday morning, weekday afternoon and Saturday morning cartoons.

The only cartoons shown on broadcast TV now are edutainment ones on Saturday morning, and whatever edutainment ones they show on PBS.

Regular cartoons are mainly shown on cable/satellite TV now where the FCC can't touch them.

I also miss animated TV specials they used to show on broadcast TV, and there were PLENTY of them.

I kind of miss traditionally animated films. Those kind of phased out this century in favor of 3-D CGI-animated movies, or live-action/3-D CGI-animated movies.

I miss when MTV and VH1 were actually ABOUT music, and not overrun with crappy reality TV. Seeing music videos or any programming about music on either network on TV now is rare.

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:51 pm
@tsarstepan,
You didn't like ANY '90s music?

What do you mean by "hip-hop blended pop"?

You had nightmares about nuclear bombs exploding? How did that come about?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 06:00 pm
I miss how simple things used to be and there wasn't a huge dependency on modern technology.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 06:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
I used to go to Blockbuster's movie stores and just browse up and down each isle looking at movie covers and reading the back of the cover to read the plot of the movies. Sometimes I would even rent movies I've never heard of.
0 Replies