What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 01:05 am
I miss film review shows, like At The Movies. Of course, there's not really a need for them now if people can read and/or watch film reviews online.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 01:41 am
@tsarstepan,
You claimed you had nightmares about nuclear bombs detonating.

Did Weird Al's "Christmas At Ground Zero" freak you out as a youngster?:

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 01:47 am
I think music in the '80s and '90s was much better than most music being made now. Most music made now is crap.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 05:36 pm
Old fashioned television antennas. The ones where metal coat hangers and aluminum foil improved the signal.
0 Replies

justlexi

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 07:11 pm
Childhood friends, anime, toys, and I being able to enjoy life. Adulting is tough.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 09:14 pm
@Sturgis,
I also miss the phone book. Especially the yellow pages.
If you had a business, the best way to let the public know your business existed is by listing it in the yellow pages.
There was no internet.
There was no facebook.
There was no twitter.
There was no Instagram.

There was only the yellow pages in the phone book.
I really miss using the yellow pages to search for any type of business.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 09:31 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I also miss the phone book. Especially the yellow pages.
If you had a business, the best way to let the public know your business existed is by listing it in the yellow pages.
There was no internet.
There was no facebook.
There was no twitter.
There was no Instagram.

There was only the yellow pages in the phone book.
I really miss using the yellow pages to search for any type of business.

Phone books still exist. My local library has FREE phone books people can pick up and take with them in its lounge area.

I miss public payphones. My local library and my local employment center are the only facilities I know of that still have them.

justlexi wrote:

Childhood friends, anime, toys, and I being able to enjoy life. Adulting is tough.

Lol. Spoken like a true millennial. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 09:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
The phone books that still exist are useless in today's world, because business find different ways of listing themselves. Google, Facebook, YouTube, and other internet sources and social media.

Many companies today don't even list their business in the phone book any more. That is why the phone books that still exist are useless in today's world.

I sure miss the days when every business actually listed themselves in the phone book yellow pages.

Also approximately every 6 months new updated phone books were printed so that all of the listings stayed current.

I really miss those days.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 01:52 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

The phone books that still exist are useless in today's world, because business find different ways of listing themselves. Google, Facebook, YouTube, and other internet sources and social media.

Many companies today don't even list their business in the phone book any more. That is why the phone books that still exist are useless in today's world.

I sure miss the days when every business actually listed themselves in the phone book yellow pages.

Also approximately every 6 months new updated phone books were printed so that all of the listings stayed current.

I really miss those days.

Are you aware of the fact Yellow Pages and White Pages have sites online now?:

https://www.whitepages.com/
https://www.yellowpages.com/

You can also simply look up businesses and phone numbers doing quick Google or Bing searches.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 01:57 am
I kinda miss old-school traditions and pastimes from the '80s and '90s. You can't do a lot of these things NOW because of political correctness. They aren't deemed appropriate or socially acceptable now.
0 Replies

frantasticindia

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2019 05:48 am
@JGoldman10,
outdoor games with friends.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:11 am
The optimism and the decency towards others.

I never expected to be expected to live through a dark age!
maxdog

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 07:10 pm
We miss them because we were younger that s all .
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 10:12 pm
@maxdog,
When I was young, the Commodore Amiga was the most sophisticated computer out there for producing your own animated cartoons. My dad talked about getting me one but he never did.

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 10:27 pm
@Real Music,
I kinda miss the days when people of all ages were not GLUED to their digital devices, and when they weren't addicted to the Internet and the things on it like social media.
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 04:06 am
@JGoldman10,
nothing is perfect , not even 80 s and 90 s , there were also people suffering , and a lot .
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 04:16 am
@hawkeye10,
There are a lot of rude people these days. My mother and I have both said if you don't like dealing with people you shouldn't be working in the general public.

It seems like a lot of people are in a rush for whatever reason these days.

I like details and I am a complainer. If I don't understand something I am going to speak up or speak out about it, and I am going to complain and speak up or about something if I don't like how I am being treated.

maxdog wrote:

We miss them because we were younger that s all .

I think that's true. I think people tend to enjoy stuff MORE when they are young. People can pick up on things quicker when they are young.

frantasticindia wrote:

outdoor games with friends.

I kinda miss those too. I don't have space where I live to play outdoor games with others. I haven't been to any park or beach in years- I don't have time for that. I am not really interested in going to any park or beach anyway.

As I said, I think people, especially young people, these days, would rather use their tablets or smartphones or any touchscreen devices, or sit and look at and do stuff online than go outside and play.

I think it's ridiculous to text people when you are in the exact same vicinity as them. What happened to simple things like talking to each other?
maxdog

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 05:39 am
@JGoldman10,
I think that's true. I think people tend to enjoy stuff MORE when they are young. People can pick up on things quicker when they are young.

yes it is although we still can find thrills even now days , just different way
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 07:32 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:

nothing is perfect , not even 80 s and 90 s , there were also people suffering , and a lot .

That's why we had things like "We Are The World":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_the_World

And the Stop the Violence Movement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_the_Violence_Movement

out of which came the song "Self-Destruction":

Cop brutality was still a thing back in the '80s and '90s which is why these songs were produced:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/e004RHFIxLg[/youtube]

Steve Harvey talked about Black-on-Black crime when he was hosting Showtime at the Apollo back in the '90s.

There were also a handful of anti-drug and anti-smoking ads on TV aimed at children and teens back in the '80s and '90s.

You also had "Just Say No":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Say_No

and "Winners Don't Use Drugs":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winners_Don%27t_Use_Drugs

Yes, people were suffering in the '80s and '90s.
Medusax

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 05:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
Being young and in shape. Able to work 16 hours a day. Being able to work out as long as I wanted. Things of that nature.